Author Topic: Thomas McCarthy of the Royal Horse Artillery  (Read 376 times)

Offline Dan Culp

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Thomas McCarthy of the Royal Horse Artillery
« on: Sunday 19 May 19 23:21 BST (UK) »
My great great great grandmother's brother Thomas McCarthy, originally from Lixnaw, Kerry, was a member of the Royal Horse Artillery.  He was born 1865.  By 1911, he was a pensioner in Dublin.

Can anybody perhaps do a lookup for his pension/service records?  I understand such things are available on findmypast, to which I don't have access.  Can anybody do a lookup?  Thanks!

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas McCarthy of the Royal Horse Artillery
« Reply #1 on: Monday 20 May 19 14:55 BST (UK) »
Nothing appears that can be identified as him.  A man only received a pension if he was discharged with a disability or had served a full term (21 years) of service. Discharge papers for men with no pension were destroyed.  Those discharge papers that are on Ancestry are in Fold3, an extra site which requires additional subscription which I don't have.

Does the 1911 record say he is an army pensioner and do you have any earlier census information?

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 20 May 19 16:23 BST (UK) »
Is this him in 1911?  " Pensioner from Royal Horse Artillery Now Official Messenger Chancery Div Superior Court of Judicature Ireland"
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai000024996/
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 20 May 19 17:53 BST (UK) »
I think this is the daughter Kathleen May's birth registration in Tralee in 1902. MMN is Lawlor which ties in with births registered in UK for sons John Joseph (Wandworth, 1898) and Thomas Patrick (Wandsworth, 1900). It shows Thomas as a labourer in 1902.

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1902/01895/1736341.pdf
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Dan Culp

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 22 May 19 03:57 BST (UK) »
I think this is the daughter Kathleen May's birth registration in Tralee in 1902. MMN is Lawlor which ties in with births registered in UK for sons John Joseph (Wandworth, 1898) and Thomas Patrick (Wandsworth, 1900). It shows Thomas as a labourer in 1902.

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1902/01895/1736341.pdf
Yep all of that is him. I got all the births of his children, and several of their marriages, deaths, and burials figured out over on the Kerry board.  At this point, I'm just hoping for a lookup on the pension records, and maybe an obit lookup in Dublin newspapers if I'm so lucky.

I wasn't able to find him specifically in 1901, but his wife and kids are lodgers with family friends (possibly also cousins) in Lixnaw in that census.  The man of the house (his brother's godson Michael Sullivan) is also apparently staying elsewhere at the time.  I thought perhaps one or both of those absences might be military-related, though I have no information about Sullivan being in the military.  Thomas's mother also had just died in Lixnaw about 6 weeks before.