Author Topic: Mary Jane Mavin 1857 - ?  (Read 2312 times)

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Jane Mavin 1857 - ?
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 21 May 19 17:36 BST (UK) »
I've been looking at those census returns JenB and I believe that in 1901 Mary was the lady's maid to Maud L/I) Lindsay who was visiting the clergyman

and in 1911 she is still the same Maud (now Isabel) Lindsay's lady's maid and Maud  is the aunt of the clergyman who is the head of the household

Boo

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 21 May 19 17:46 BST (UK) »
Maud Isabel Lindsay died in 1916 and that Jocelyn James Antrobus she was visiting in 1911 was her executor.
<this is why it takes me so long to get anything done, I get SO sidetracked!>

Boo

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 24 May 19 19:51 BST (UK) »
continuing with the sidetrack (may be of interest to someone else in the future)

Maud Isabel Lindsay's will specified that all of her domestic servants (including Mary Jackson) be given £5 'for mourning' - I presume to kit them out in suitably black clothing when she died.

A sum of £150 to her trustee, upon trust , to be used to provide a house or home for Mary Jackson (whether or not she was still in Maud's service at the time of her death)

and an annuity of £52 pounds per year to Mary Jackson (whether or not she was still in Maud's service at the time of her death) in addition to the above.

I still don't know when Mary Ann EDIT : JANE Jackson (nee Mavin) died, too many Mary Jacksons with a middle initial of J, or none) in the deaths registrations to pin her down for certain, but it looks like her employer appreciated her service and ensured that she would have a home and income in her old age.

Hopefully the 1921 census will give me further clues when it is released.

Boo

Offline MaureeninNY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 24 May 19 22:05 BST (UK) »
That's wonderful.Boo. How were you able to get a copy of Maud L's will so quickly?

It is frustrating that Mary (wasn't her middle name JANE?) just had to marry a JACKSON,though. :)

Hoping the 1921 will hold some answers.

Maureen

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 24 May 19 22:21 BST (UK) »
oops yes, you are right Maureen, her middle name was Jane. (I've been firkling around trying to get a Mary Ann to die today and she's proving to be problematic too) I'll edit my post

I thought it was a nice thing to know about, says a lot about both of them I think.

I ordered the will online in the hope there may be a mention of Mary Jane, though I have to say I was surprised when it came through so quickly. The will was written in July 1911. So as I already knew Mary Jane was alive in 1911 on the census (2nd April) I now know she was still alive in July that year - every little helps :-)

Though there was a codocil confirming her will and making another bequest in 1916, I don't know if she would have had to cancel the bequests to Mary Jane if she'd died by then or just left that to be part of the residual estate, so I won't assume that Mary was still alive then.

Hopefully she will turn up on the 1921 census, that may give me an idea of areas to explore for a death. At the moment all I can be sure of is that she 'has' died by now and it was highly likely to be somewhere in the UK.

Baby steps usually get me there in the end :-)

Boo

Offline MaureeninNY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 24 May 19 22:44 BST (UK) »
 :)

That was good service for the will!

It would be so interesting to know how many "rather posh" places and people Mary saw over her years as a lady's maid.

Maureen

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 24 May 19 22:59 BST (UK) »
Yes, it would appear that Maud Isabel was quite a 'posh' person and probably would have done a lot of visiting with other posh folk.

Though I suspect that her lady's maid may have seen more of 'downstairs' than 'upstairs' it would have still been a different world from her childhood home.

Boo

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Jane Mavin 1857 - ? - 1933!!!!
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 06 January 22 18:07 GMT (UK) »

Hopefully she will turn up on the 1921 census, that may give me an idea of areas to explore for a death. At the moment all I can be sure of is that she 'has' died by now and it was highly likely to be somewhere in the UK.

Baby steps usually get me there in the end :-)

Boo

and she did turn up in 1921. She was in Bothal, Head of Household was her brother and the other occupant was her sister. They were all widowed, both ladies were recorded as sister to the H of H so that ticks all the boxes as I knew about the death of her brother's wife and her sister's marriage and the death of her husband.
She died in Q3 1933, Morpeth District, aged 76 and was buried 29 Jul 1933, Bothal St Andrew (per FreeReg).
I'll plod along with the baby steps now I have the basic framework of BMD registrations, baptism, marriage and death records and census returns (though that 1881 is still a possible, rather than confirmed)

If more newspapers/ electoral registers come online then I may find a little more to put some flesh on the barebones records.
Baby steps still my motto but I am really pleased to have made this one.

Boo

Offline MaureeninNY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 06 January 22 20:08 GMT (UK) »
 :) :)

Well done,Boo!

Maureen