Author Topic: HUNT, George - soldier born 1841  (Read 5599 times)

Offline kr236rk

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: HUNT, George - soldier born 1841
« Reply #45 on: Friday 31 May 19 21:44 BST (UK) »
Many thanks.

The above results do not match what I know of the Bermondsey-based George Hunt.

1911 Census: 18 Sandison St., Peckham SE, Camberwell
George Hunt, Head.Mar, 70, Army Pensioner, Bermondsey London   b.1841
Emily Herriett Hunt, Wife, 64, Home, Chichester            b.1847
Married: 39yrs  0 Children.

Trouble is, only one of the results I was given earlier have the individual's date of birth, & that one doesn't match the Bermondsey census information.

Lee, Fountain, Stevens, Kemp

Offline kr236rk

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Friday 31 May 19 22:10 BST (UK) »

Trouble is, only one of the results I was given earlier have the individual's date of birth, & that one doesn't match the Bermondsey census information.

If this George was married for 39 years then he married in 1862.

A George Hunt (soldier) is recorded as the [unmarried] father of Louisa Mary Powell,  in 1883 his name and occupation appears on Louisa Mary's marriage certificate - she married a John Innell.

The soldier George would have had an affair with Louisa Mary's mother, Louisa Powell bc 1841. Louisa Powell was the daughter of a Thomas Powell b.1798 in Southwark, Surrey.

So George would have fathered Louisa Mary circa 1860; so this Bermondsey George looks likely to me, and he gets formally married two years later on, but to Emily Herriett (Austin).

He was definitely in the army - we have the 1911 census proof:-

"George Hunt, Head.Mar, 70, Army Pensioner, Bermondsey London.   b.1841"

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Saturday 01 June 19 02:58 BST (UK) »

No they don't, but they shouldn't be discounted either - as we are only supposing Bermondsey George could be Louisa Mary's father.   He may very well not be.  I quite like the look of the George Hunt born Newington, Southwark, Surrey, listed above, but any of them could be Louisa's father.

.......what I know of the Bermondsey-based George Hunt.

If this George was married for 39 years then he married in 1862.

<snip> So George would have fathered Louisa Mary circa 1860; so this Bermondsey George looks likely to me, and he gets formally married two years later on, but to Emily Herriett (Austin).

No, Bermondsey George Hunt and wife Emily Harriet who have been married 39 years in 1911 - that's married circa 1872 - not 1862  :)

And Louisa Mary was born 13 Oct 1859, so she was likely conceived January 1859 (or very late Dec 1858), not 1860.

My previous reply #, I gave you their 1871 marriage:
George HUNT, Full age, Bachelor, Labourer, father; George HUNT, Leather Dresser
Emily Harriet AUSTIN, Full age, Spinster, of Bermondsey, father: Thomas AUSTIN Dec'd, Carpenter
Married 29 May 1871 at St Paul Bermondsey

Bermondsey George is born around 1840/41 according to these Census:
1911: age 70
1901: age 60
1891: age 50
1881: age 40 (mis-enumerated as 'George R Flint', living in Bermondsey)

On another reply, I detailed who I think is very probably Bermondsey George HUNT, his parents, their marriage ref. (and you have their actual 1840 marriage details), his birth, his  birth family their Census 1841, 1851, 1861, 1871, that is: the son of George HUNT snr and Susannah/Hannah NORTH:

1840: Marriage of parents
1840: Birth of him, George Richard HUNT, Sep Qtr 1840
1841: Census, age 9mths
1851: Census, age 10 yrs
(1861: Census missing, not at home with parents) would be age 20
1871: Census, age 30 years, Census date 2 April.

So it all fits perfectly, with ages, birth dates and so on. And in my opinion, there's quite a bit of evidence to say 1881-1911 George is very likely to be the same 1840-1871 George.

But that's only half the battle, as then tying that George up as being Louisa Mary's father - or discounting him -  is proving much harder to do.

A possible, neat Scenario is:
1858: Bermondsey George HUNT has a liasion with Louisa POWELL, results in pregnancy.
1858/1859: George joins the Army age 18, probably for 12 Years. Possibly posted out of England.
1859: Daughter, Louisa Mary POWELL is born.
1862: Louisa POWELL marries George BENWELL
1870-1871: George's 12 years are up. He leaves the Army.
1872: George marries Emily HUNT. They have no children.

Again, that is just a scenario idea.  If we could find Bermondsey George's regiment, that may help - but to match him as the father of Louisa Mary POWELL, we'd need corroborating evidence, such as finding the Regiment of the George HUNT who is her father. Her baptism is of no use, unfortunately. What about her actual Birth certificate -  do you have that? Also her second marriage, might have info.

The fact Louisa Mary gave his actual name on her 1st Marriage, and that it looks like her mother tried to have his name added to the baptism (probably kyboshed by the church official) - might indicate they actually had a relationship.

Of all the George HUNTS in the Army lists, trying to find one that fits with an 1858-ish attestation and a discharge by 1871 to match Bermondsey George, is also difficult. Because we can't find him in 1861, the inference is, he's possibly still in the Army at that time therefore looking for a discharge between 1861 and 1871. 

Cheers
AMBLY

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Saturday 01 June 19 08:56 BST (UK) »
I quite like the look of the George Hunt born Newington, Southwark, Surrey, listed above, but any of them could be Louisa's father.

Gunner George Hunt 790: attested 3 December 1858 aged 23; discharged in Quebec 1870 suffering from epilepsy; lived thereafter in Canada.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline kr236rk

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Saturday 01 June 19 13:26 BST (UK) »
I quite like the look of the George Hunt born Newington, Southwark, Surrey, listed above, but any of them could be Louisa's father.

Gunner George Hunt 790: attested 3 December 1858 aged 23; discharged in Quebec 1870 suffering from epilepsy; lived thereafter in Canada.

Thanks Shaun,

Are you saying that this Southwark George is then not the man I am researching please - he can be removed from the list?

Offline kr236rk

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Saturday 01 June 19 13:37 BST (UK) »

Again, that is just a scenario idea.  If we could find Bermondsey George's regiment, that may help - but to match him as the father of Louisa Mary POWELL, we'd need corroborating evidence, such as finding the Regiment of the George HUNT who is her father. Her baptism is of no use, unfortunately. What about her actual Birth certificate -  do you have that? Also her second marriage, might have info.

Thanks Ambly,

I make a lot of mistakes with dates, apologies.

Louisa Mary POWELL - her birth certificate. Yes, I have it.

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Saturday 01 June 19 13:47 BST (UK) »
Are you saying that this Southwark George is then not the man I am researching please - he can be removed from the list?

Certainly not. He remains one of several possibilities for Louisa Mary's father.

I would rule out the Coldstream Guardsman number 582. He was still in the militia in Oxford at the time of conception.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline kr236rk

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Saturday 01 June 19 14:31 BST (UK) »
Louisa Mary Powell's second marriage - that was to John PENSOTTI (marr 1915) please? I have that certificate on order.

This gets confusing.

Louisa POWELL is the mother of illegitimate daughter (born 1859) Louisa Mary POWELL, by one George HUNT (soldier), according to a registrar in 1883. Louisa POWELL then went on to marry one George BENWELL in 1861.

Louisa Mary POWELL (daughter, Hampstead) marries John INNELL in 1883 & subsequently John PENSOTTI in 1915.

Louisa POWELL (mother, Hampstead) is recorded as living at Flask Walk. There were laundries here, probably quite well paid work considering the clientele in this area of London.

Louisa POWELL's parents lived in Flask Walk, Thomas POWELL (horse-keeper) & Charlotte POWELL [nee WILLOUGHBY], in a census for 1841 Middlesex. Charlotte (now Head of family) is recorded as 'washerwoman' in the 1851 census for Flask Walk by which time Thomas has died.

So there is a suggestion of a family tradition here - men with horses and women working in laundries. Thomas POWELL is born in Southwark (1798) so he has migrated to North London, presumably for economic reasons.

Offline kr236rk

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Saturday 01 June 19 14:32 BST (UK) »

Certainly not. He remains one of several possibilities for Louisa Mary's father.

I would rule out the Coldstream Guardsman number 582. He was still in the militia in Oxford at the time of conception.

Okay thanks :)