Author Topic: HUNT, George - soldier born 1841  (Read 5605 times)

Offline kr236rk

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
DNA Re: HUNT, George - soldier born 1841
« Reply #63 on: Sunday 30 June 19 16:16 BST (UK) »
Hi,

My POWELL enquiry remains an enigma. My grandmother was told (my late father's recollection) that she was 'not following her true religion', a criticism which no-one has ever been able to understand. I wondered if grandmother's mother's surname of Powell suggested a link to the Romany Powells of London / south London, but there's no hint of that in the DNA result. Looks like Welsh.

Not quite sure what my next move is?

Advice please :)

Thank you.
Lee, Fountain, Stevens, Kemp

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: HUNT, George - soldier born 1841
« Reply #64 on: Sunday 30 June 19 16:58 BST (UK) »
My POWELL enquiry remains an enigma

Sorry, I've lost track - what is the enigmatic bit?

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline kr236rk

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Sunday 30 June 19 19:18 BST (UK) »
My POWELL enquiry remains an enigma

Sorry, I've lost track - what is the enigmatic bit?

Everything - I got back to Thomas POWELL b.1798 marr. Charlotte WILLOUGHBY but I couldn't get back beyond there, so the Powell surname remains an enigma for me, as does my grandma's 'true religion', my father's side wasn't religious at all as far as I know - there was no evidence of it where grandma lived in Bromley Kent where I was taken to visit.

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Monday 01 July 19 09:59 BST (UK) »
Possibly the "true religion" bit relates to Louisa's marriage to John Pensotti - was he a Roman Catholic perhaps? Many Pensottis were/are catholic. The "true religion" would be the Anglican faith.

That marriage also explains her move to Bromley, Kent. That's where he lived.

Have you been able to find the parish record of Thomas Powell's marriage to Charlotte Willoughby in Hampstead in 1820?

Offline kr236rk

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Monday 01 July 19 20:31 BST (UK) »
Possibly the "true religion" bit relates to Louisa's marriage to John Pensotti - was he a Roman Catholic perhaps? Many Pensottis were/are catholic. The "true religion" would be the Anglican faith.

That marriage also explains her move to Bromley, Kent. That's where he lived.

Have you been able to find the parish record of Thomas Powell's marriage to Charlotte Willoughby in Hampstead in 1820?

Thanks Shaun,

Cannot work this out, can you help?

Thomas POWELL married Charlotte WILLOUGHBY: issue, Louisa POWELL

Louisa POWELL relationship George HUNT (soldier): issue, Louisa Mary [1] b.1869

Louisa Mary [1] is illegitimate & takes mother's surname. (Her mother subsequently marries George BENWELL in 1861).

Louisa Mary [1] POWELL marries John INNELL in 1883: issue - Louisa Mary [2] INNELL, b.1883.

Louisa Mary [2] INNELL was my paternal grandmother.

Louisa Mary [2] INNELL marries Arthur KEMP c.1890.

Arthur KEMP b.1870, d.1944 Bromley Kent.

-------------------------------------------------

How does Louisa Mary POWELL's 'second marriage' - to John PENSOTTI (marr 1915) - fit into this tree please?

--------------------------------------------------

Also,

Have I been able to find the parish record of Thomas Powell's marriage to Charlotte Willoughby in Hampstead in 1820?

No, but I found the following on Ancestry -

Name: Thos POWELL, spouse: Charlotte WILLOUGHBY.

Thomas POWELL b.1798, spouse Charlotte.

Children: Louisa.

-----------

Many thanks.

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Monday 01 July 19 20:54 BST (UK) »
You originally said that it was the Louisa Powell born in 1840 (who married Benwell) who was your grandmother; then you corrected that to say it was Louisa Mary Powell born in 1859 (who married Innell and Pensotti); now you say it was Louisa M Innell born in 1883 (who married Kemp) who was your grandmother ? That makes more sense!

Offline kr236rk

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Monday 01 July 19 21:45 BST (UK) »
You originally said that it was the Louisa Powell born in 1840 (who married Benwell) who was your grandmother; then you corrected that to say it was Louisa Mary Powell born in 1859 (who married Innell and Pensotti); now you say it was Louisa M Innell born in 1883 (who married Kemp) who was your grandmother ? That makes more sense!

It is confusing & I post results 'as they come in', so to speak - but it is a confusing family tree, I never had this trouble with the maternal side.

The names and dates I have just given are the best I currently know - I had no idea the forename Louisa would occur three times across three generations, that would have thrown me repeatedly - apologies - still dazed by all this, hence my question regarding the PENSOTTI-INNELL marriage of 1915. Surely Louisa Mary INNELL was already married to Arthur KEMP who didn't pass away until 1944. Or was this 1915 marriage between my great grandmother and John PENSOTTI?

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Monday 01 July 19 23:13 BST (UK) »
Yes I now realise that it was your great grandmother who married John Pensotti in 1915. He had lived in Bromley but perhaps that is coincidental. It looks like they lived in Wandsworth after they married, not Bromley. Sorry for the confusion.

Offline kr236rk

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: Tuesday 02 July 19 03:10 BST (UK) »
Yes I now realise that it was your great grandmother who married John Pensotti in 1915. He had lived in Bromley but perhaps that is coincidental. It looks like they lived in Wandsworth after they married, not Bromley. Sorry for the confusion.

No worries, I am not good at genealogy even though I like history, which is odd, & my figure work is often out as well, so dates can be challenging.

This is all so strange, my late father mentioned the PENSOTTI name several times but never explained the relation; he never mentioned his grandmother - he mostly talked about the INNELL side of his family; I know about the INNELLs. I don't know anything about the POWELLs, that surname was never, ever mentioned, I'm convinced my father didn't know about it.

Now there is something weird, if the Louisa Mary who married John PENSOTTI was my great grandmother then surely her maiden name was POWELL and not INNELL - she took her mother's name because she was the illegitimate issue of the soldier George HUNT+Louisa POWELL relationship?

Am still trying to get that 1915 marriage certificate out of the GRO.