Author Topic: Nugent Gravestone in Castlerickard Graveyard  (Read 6800 times)

Offline Ghostwheel

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Nugent Gravestone in Castlerickard Graveyard
« Reply #27 on: Friday 24 May 19 01:21 BST (UK) »
I see it now.  It is a townland that borders Castlerickard where the cemetery is!

Offline Ghostwheel

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 24 May 19 01:28 BST (UK) »
Hallmark, that is from the book I mentioned.  I think they were all in the same house, but I'm not 100% certain.

That they were teenagers is wrong.  i feel pretty certain of that, since James died so long ago.  I don't think the parish register survives back to that period.  A bad guess on the part of the author of the book, I think.  In a way, it is almost logical though.  If Thomas was waving a gun around, it makes him sound young. 

Also, that Clarke was kind of the head of household, makes them sound young.  But in the testimony of Clarke vs. Knox, he calls them almost 40.

Offline Ghostwheel

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 24 May 19 01:51 BST (UK) »
Here is Lionsden:

https://www.townlands.ie/meath/upper-moyfenrath/castlerickard/castlerickard/lionsden/

It is interesting because Lionsden appears on the 1901 census with the name Bird.  The name Bird is on an earlier Nugent grave in the same cemetery, but I don't know if it is connected:

ERECTED BY THOs NUGENT
IN MEMORY OF HIS FATHER
JAMES NUGENT WHO DEPtd
THIS LIFE MARCH 17TH 1798
AGED 60 YEARS
ALSO THE BODY OF HIS MOTHER
MARGERY NUGENT ALIAS BIRD
WHO DEPARTED………..1798
1……YEARS

Offline Ghostwheel

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 24 May 19 02:19 BST (UK) »
Lionsden is in Castlerickard civil parish.  I tried to find it on the tithes.  No luck.

James Nugent does not appear on the tithes for that parish, but there are other Nugents.  John and George L. Nugent.   I wonder if George could be Protestant.   I don't know if either could be related.

I can't find Lionsden on the tithes, but it appears on Griffith's.  Some of George Nugent's tenants on Griffith's are Birds in Castlerickard and in Lionsden. 

Another Nugent that appears on Griffith's for Lionsden is Anne.  Probably a widow.  One person she leases a plot from is Godwin Swift.  Maybe a son of the one you mentioned, Sinann.

Offline Ghostwheel

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 24 May 19 03:26 BST (UK) »
On the index to the 1832 record for James Nugent's death that lists Lionsden and Rathcore, it almost looks like there could be a third place between them, where the remainder of the page is completely rotted away.  There is just the suggestion of perhaps an "f" after "Rathcore, Co. Meath." on the same line.  I wonder if that was another "of."

Oh, well, I don't think it can be traced.  Only Rathcore seems to appear on the Tithes, and I don't think it would be on anything else.

I presume George L. Nugent was Protestant, as there was a George Lucas Nugent who married in 1793 according to the marriage licence bonds index, and that is CoI.

Offline Ghostwheel

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 24 May 19 04:24 BST (UK) »
Seems as though there were George Nugents at Castlerickard for a time.  One in the index to the wills dates to 1753.  This makes me think there wouldn't be an easy connection between the later James and George.  If one family had been Protestant for a long time. 

And I presume the other was Catholic for a long time, but I don't have strong evidence for it.  Other than John, the son of James, was a Catholic when he married in 1866.  But, then again, the first grave I mentioned had Latin, which I think would mean that James and Mary Nugent were Catholics.

Offline Ghostwheel

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 24 May 19 13:24 BST (UK) »
I have noticed that James Donegan appears as a sponsor for the baptism of one of John's children, who was born in Gurteen in 1870.  At that time, the other sponsor seems to be the sister of his wife, so I think there is a good possibility that this James Donegan was the husband of Anne Nugent.

Offline Ian999

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 25 May 19 21:48 BST (UK) »
I will repeat what I wrote in 2011.:

"This might not lead directly to your ancestors as the Nugents appeared to have been highly prolific, but no Nugent search is complete without looking at the amazing work of Francis Nugent Dixon and his site www.nugent.fr."

Particularly around page 209, the downloaded pdf brings you to the modern stuff.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 25 May 19 22:01 BST (UK) »
I will repeat what I wrote in 2011.:

"This might not lead directly to your ancestors as the Nugents appeared to have been highly prolific, but no Nugent search is complete without looking at the amazing work of Francis Nugent Dixon and his site www.nugent.fr."

Particularly around page 209, the downloaded pdf brings you to the modern stuff.

100% agree.