Author Topic: Nugent Gravestone in Castlerickard Graveyard  (Read 6759 times)

Offline Ghostwheel

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Nugent Gravestone in Castlerickard Graveyard
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 23 May 19 17:10 BST (UK) »
I wonder if it might be possible that Anne had a wedding announcement that would say that she was the daughter of James at Rathcore.  I know that John had one, but, of course, he probably would have been married several years later.

Offline Ghostwheel

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 23 May 19 20:00 BST (UK) »
I believe I have found Anne Donegan's death.  She died in 1917, at age 91, at Enfield, reported by her son John.

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1917/05224/4456721.pdf

Offline Ghostwheel

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 23 May 19 20:40 BST (UK) »
Birth years, going by the death records for John and Anne, and for Thomas by the tombstone:

John: about 1823 (1901-78) (described as eldest son)
Anne: about 1826 (1917-91)  Also lines up with her age on 1901 census.
Thomas: about 1828 (1904-76)

I don't know if all these ages can be trusted perfectly.  For John and Thomas, they vary on the 1901 census.  Anne's does on the 1911 census, but it seems to be a reasonable approximation of a birth order, when you put Anne in the middle.

My theory for the moment would be that Anne was their sister.  The Nugents did know a man named Denis Donegan in Rathcore, but I am unsure if he was related to Anne's husband James Donegan or not.  I suppose it is a common name.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 23 May 19 21:06 BST (UK) »
Freemans Journal 1865
Thomas Nugent who has been obliged to give up his farm is selling by auction everything.
His farm tool, animals, household goods, turf, firewood.
Doesn't look like his was planning to hang around.

Thomas Clarke had James and Mary Nugent's farm by 1865.

Offline Ghostwheel

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 23 May 19 21:59 BST (UK) »
Thomas Clarke was Mary Nugent's brother.  I'm not exactly sure when he took up residence, probably when James Nugent died.  He seems to have become their surrogate father, and the farm was in his name in about 1855, as a trust for his nephews, John and Thomas (who actually were slightly oldish by 1865, being described as being near 40).  Clarke never had children or married,

I believe they were all evicted at the same time. Thomas Clarke,  and the two Nugents, though I'm not 100% sure that John was there.  I believe Thomas was.  There was actually a court case about it Clarke vs. Knox, which they won, since they had been led to believe that it was okay to make investments in improving their farm. 

Thomas and John were actually briefly suspects in an earlier murder of a land agent.  i have wondered if they ever gave testimony, but it is not in the book I mentioned.  They never faced trial.

I had not seen that note in the Freeman's journal.  It is quite interesting.  I'm curious, does it really say "Thomas Nugent" and Rathcore?  What is the date?  They were evicted I think January 21, 1865 - that's when the crowbar brigade came, without any previous notice to them.  I don't know if they had any time after that. Mr. Knox supposedly stole their hay.  Or said something like "I think I'll be taking that hay."

Offline Ghostwheel

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 23 May 19 22:03 BST (UK) »
According to local lore, Thomas Nugent met the crowbar brigade with a shotgun, and the local priest just narrowly talked him into giving it up.   That is in the book I mentioned.  But I can't say whether it is true, because if it happened, I am a bit surprised that he wasn't arrested, or at least that I found no note of it.

Offline Ghostwheel

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 23 May 19 22:06 BST (UK) »
I should maybe add that they paid the rent.  The land was being turned over to pasture, and many families were evicted.

Offline Ghostwheel

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 23 May 19 22:42 BST (UK) »
Anyone know what the typical delay would be for property to legally change hands, after someone died?

On the gravestone: Mary died March 16th 1864.  In testimony it is said that letters of administration dated 1855, gave Clarke the property.

Does "letters of administration" mean someone dies without a will?  I am wondering if there was a minimum period which would bridge this gap.

In the trial, there was another curious bit that vaguely mentioned letters of administration to Mary in 1852, without any mention of who died.  But I can't make sense of this part.  On the one hand, it would match the transcription on the grave for her husband's death exactly.  They also oddly mention receipts from 1826-1852 (odd how this year stands out), then up to July 1863)

On the other hand, several other bits of evidence, disagree with it, two, or one depending how you count them, even from the same source.  Court testimony in the same case, taken from the same day,  Clarke said he knew the lands of Rathcore for about 30 years.  That is vague, but he also said that Nugent (James) died about 30 years ago (from 1865.) 

I had though of the possibility that he had maybe said "13", but there are two many things that seem to disagree with it.  On another day, it was mentioned that the lease was taken up in 1826 and that James died soon after (which I take to mean a couple of years later.) Also, James isn't on the field books for 1838, while Mary is, which to me, would be a clear signal he was dead.

Offline Ghostwheel

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 23 May 19 23:24 BST (UK) »
I see that Thomas Clarke is quoted as saying that Mary Nugent died about 10 or 11 years ago, (from 1865) in another paper, than the one I was looking at, which only had said about 10 years.  Small difference, but that definitely adds a bit to my confidence that the grave is hers.