Author Topic: Restiary  (Read 2815 times)

Offline Marmalady

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Restiary
« Reply #9 on: Friday 24 May 19 10:21 BST (UK) »
The "Th.m" abbreviation is Master of Theology so an ecclesiastical explanation such as the one Andrew suggests, seems likely.

In this instance "Th M" is an abbreviation of Thurlston Moor where the family lived

And this is a moorland parish church, not a cathedral. Would they have someone in charge of robing the priests?
Wainwright - Yorkshire
Whitney - Herefordshire
Watson -  Northamptonshire
Trant - Yorkshire
Helps - all
Needham - Derbyshire
Waterhouse - Derbyshire
Northing - all

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 24 May 19 10:51 BST (UK) »
In this instance "Th M" is an abbreviation of Thurlston Moor where the family lived

So much for my theory !
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 24 May 19 11:21 BST (UK) »
Not a definite answer, but something to look into, perhaps:

Joseph Wright's Dialect Dictionary doesn't have 'restiary', but it does have 'restial' - a fee for burial inside a church. The snag is that it's said to be local to Shropshire. Anyway, I wonder if restiary might be a posh or invented term for a burial vault.

There's a history of Penistone available at the Internet Archive, and you might be able to use it to test out my suggestion. Pages 12-15 list a number of notable burials, some from the same period you're asking about, both in the church and the churchyard. Might any of them have the same word in the register? You can find this at

https://archive.org/details/historyofparisho00dran/page/12
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Marmalady

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 24 May 19 11:29 BST (UK) »
A  major snag in that theory, Arthur, is that this is in the Baptism Register, so a "burial fee" would not apply

And if it was some sort of fee, why would this family be the only ones paying? No-one else on the same page was marked in this way, for either baptism.

It did not appear on the burial pages for the same period or family either

But thanks to everyone who has contributed theories. It appears to be a difficult term to pin down for certain!
Wainwright - Yorkshire
Whitney - Herefordshire
Trant - Yorkshire
Helps - all
Needham - Derbyshire
Waterhouse - Derbyshire
Northing - all

Offline Andrew Tarr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Wanted: Charles Percy Liversidge
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 24 May 19 11:41 BST (UK) »
These links might help :
https://www.abebooks.co.uk/Old-English-Miscellany-Containing-Restiary-Kentish/10235477537/bd
  That link won't help as it contains a typo - the image of the book shows it to be Bestiary, as one might expect ....
Tarr, Tydeman, Liversidge, Bartlett, Young

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 24 May 19 11:46 BST (UK) »
A  major snag in that theory, Arthur, is that this is in the Baptism Register, so a "burial fee" would not apply

Oops - got a bit carried away :-[ :-[ :-[

I'm not familiar with the parish, but might it be a term for a chapel of ease or similar? Pages 16-17 of the book I mentioned refer to one such...
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 24 May 19 11:53 BST (UK) »

I'm not familiar with the parish, but might it be a term for a chapel of ease or similar? Pages 16-17 of the book I mentioned refer to one such...

That sounds like the best def so far. Chapel of Ease =Chapel of  Rest = Restiary.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Marmalady

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 24 May 19 14:07 BST (UK) »
Ahh yes -- you might have got it!

There are some bapts & burials listed for a Chapel at Denby -- but in other years they are listed separately in the Register or say "at Denby"

Thank you!
Wainwright - Yorkshire
Whitney - Herefordshire
Trant - Yorkshire
Helps - all
Needham - Derbyshire
Waterhouse - Derbyshire
Northing - all

Offline Andrew Tarr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Wanted: Charles Percy Liversidge
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 24 May 19 14:46 BST (UK) »
That sounds like the best def so far. Chapel of Ease =Chapel of  Rest = Restiary. 

I think you need to find a reason for Jeremiah being the only one given this accolade (several times) - unless he was a warden of such a place perhaps?  Does his abode suggest such a connection?  In fact, might Restiary be the name of his abode - I can't find one on the 25-inch map, but it's possible?  At least that would account for Jeremiah's sole ownership.

Is anyone able to ask a knowledgeable cleric?
Tarr, Tydeman, Liversidge, Bartlett, Young