Author Topic: Aberdeen - Adams - Birth record look up  (Read 3981 times)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: Aberdeen - Adams - Birth record look up
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 26 May 19 22:17 BST (UK) »
I was also thinking that she might just be "Emily", and took on a new first name when she set sail to start a new life, but I can't find an Emily that works either! 

Or...was she illegitimate or adopted either being possible?

How coincidental is this...

http://www.whatsinaname.net/php/search.php?action=search2&search_name=emily

The name variants used on the above were taken from...

"FreeCEN 1841 Census of Aberdeenshire"

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline ScottishAncestors

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 27 May 19 00:10 BST (UK) »
When George was born, Sylvinia states her age as being 20.

No, unfortunately Sylvinia's marriage certificate does not state whether her parents are still living.
I have visited the archives in Brisbane, but they did not have the individual passenger manifests, which sometimes lists the parents names and whether they are still living or not.  The archives told me that these records no longer exist, only the general shipping record for the Royal Dane.

The Royal Dane sailed from London, England in 1870.

The only couple I have been able to come up with, who married around the same time frame that Sylvinia was born, was a James McAdam and a Janet McLean who married on 7 April 1850, Barony, Lanark, Scotland.

The Dodds also named one of their daughters Sylvia, in honor of Sylvinia.  The name (Sylvia) has been used in our family, starting with Sylvinia.

Yes, I have wondered about the name, as I am aware that it means from the forest and is of European origin.

Yes, Sylvinia could possibly be adopted or illegitimate.  Hmmm, I wonder?

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 27 May 19 06:36 BST (UK) »

Can you please list all the information on the death certificate for Sylvinia Emily CARLTON, died 1896.  Everything on the document please. Do not leave out any details.

Can you please list all the information on the death certificate for George ADAMS, died 1875.

The birth certificate for George ADAMS, 1874, would be useful to your research. You need to see this certificate.

BDM NSW birth
3798/1877 CARLTON  Agnes M  parents  John J / Sylvinia E   @ Balmain  (4 Nov 1877)

Why are Sylvia and James in Sydney in 1877?. This birth certificate would be useful to your research. Agnes would likely be born at a residential address, which could lead to relatives.

Offline ScottishAncestors

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 27 May 19 17:27 BST (UK) »
None of the current documents I have give any further clues as to whether or not Sylvinia was or was not born in Aberdeen, Scotland.  There are other documents that I will order in the hope that I will glean more vital information from them.

Thank you, everyone for your input.  My search continues.

COMPLETE

Thank you.  :)

Offline MrAdz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 03 December 23 21:16 GMT (UK) »
I'm looking to find out about my grandad... James walker adams!! I did my dna and know hes from aberdeen born 1922 I need to find his mum and dad I can't find nothing other than where he's been arrested... but nothing about his parents or any family members.... I know my dad and his sister s and brother but nothing about james walker adams family tree I realy need help i have been trying for years

Offline Wendy2305

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 11 December 23 01:45 GMT (UK) »
I'm looking to find out about my grandad... James walker Adams!! I did my dna and know hes from aberdeen born 1922 I need to find his mum and dad I can't find nothing other than where he's been arrested... but nothing about his parents or any family members.... I know my dad and his sister s and brother but nothing about james walker adams family tree I realy need help i have been trying for years

There is a birth of a James walker Adams in Rubislaw in 1922 which is an area in Aberdeen you can find this on https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/ which is a pay to view site for a reasonable cost

Offline MrAdz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 11 December 23 19:38 GMT (UK) »
I have looked at all this stuff but can't find anything to do with his parents... all I need is to find out my grandads mum and dad but nothing anywhere!!! I have been doing my family tree for years and my grandads the only person I have struggled with thanks for looking tho it's much appreciated.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 12 December 23 02:22 GMT (UK) »
I have looked at all this stuff but can't find anything to do with his parents...
You need to download the birth certificate, however, there's a minimum, minimal cost via purchase of credits.

The BC will give you the address James Walker Adams was born, names of both parents including mother's maiden surname (possibly Walker) & the date/place they were married.

All this info. for £7.50 leaving you credits for the next stage...the MC of his parents & still some credits left!

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"