Author Topic: Nottingham stopping ground-Smiths Field? Help  (Read 12616 times)

Offline kaziah

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Nottingham stopping ground-Smiths Field? Help
« Reply #72 on: Tuesday 17 September 19 14:46 BST (UK) »
This is what I have found on Carolina Smith Smith, 2nd wife of John Smith

Carolina Smith
Bn Freeby, Leic.
Bp 29 Mar 1832 Waltham On The Wolds - Mother Sophia, Gipsy

Their children were:

George Oxby Smith’s    ½ Siblings by his father’s 2nd “wife”

Caroline (Carolana/Selina) Smith
Bn 1832 Freeby, Leicestershire – I think she is the sister of the 1st “wife” Maria Smith
Bp

Ann Smith
Bn about 1855
Bp 7 Aug 1856 Croxton Kerrial, Leicestershire – this was a double baptism with her sister Harriet.
I have nothing else on her so assume she died young.

Harriet Smith
Bn about 1867 Croxton Kerrial, Leicestershire – Baptised the same day as her sister Ann above.
I have nothing else on her so assume she died you too.

Eliza Smith
Bn May 1857 Whissendine, Rutland.
Bp 30 May 1857 Whissendine, Rutland.
Marr 13 Jun 1880 Frederick Charles Blankley, Horse Dealer, at St George’s, Leicester, Leicestershire.
Died 15 Dec 1901 In a Van, William St, Loughborough, Leicestershire from Post-Partum Haemorrhage.
The female child also died.

1871 and 1881 census, she is with her parents and siblings as before.
1891 Eliza and Fred are using the surname Smith and are with Eliza’s parents John and Maria on the Morledge, Derby with a fair.
1901 census Eliza and Fred are in a Caravan in Shepshed.

Children:
John Blankley Bn 13 Mar 1881 Barrow-upon-Soar, Leicestershire. – D?
Frederick Blankley Bn 1883 Nottingham, Notts – D 1928 Loughborough, Leic.
George Blankley Bn 1885 Nottingham, Notts – D 1889 Loughborough, Leic.
Albert Blankley Bn 1886 Loughborough, Leic – D 1887 Loughborough, Leic
Flora Ann Blankley Bn 1888 Loughborough Leic – D 1888 Loughborough, Leic
Ernest Blankley Bn 1889 Syston, Leic – D 1939 Leicester, Leic
William Blankley Bn 30 Mar 1891 Loughborough, Leic – D 1891 Loughborough, Leic
Samuel Blankley Bn 1893 Market Harborough, Leic – D July 1893, Loughborough, Leic
Sidney Blankley Bn about 1895 Leicester, Leic – D 1968 Loughborough, Leic
Nathan Blankley Bn Feb 1896 – D 27 Aug 1896 Hinkley, Leic
Thomas Blankley Bn 7 Jun 1897 Litchfield, Staffs – D Jun 1897 Leicester, Leic
Female Child bn 15 Dec 1901 Loughborough, Leic – D 15 Dec 1901 Loughborough, Leic
Smith, Plumb, Booth, Slater, Purdy, Clayton, Loveridge
Gray, Parker, Elliott, Wright, Towle, Wesseldine, Margot's, Bacon, Blankley, Goodwin, Stafford.

Offline kaziah

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: Tuesday 17 September 19 14:46 BST (UK) »
Beatrice Smith
Bn Jan 1860 Braunston, Leicestershire
Bp 8 Jan 1860 Croxton Kerrial, Leic
Marr 16 Jan 1888 in Leicester – James Wesseldine 
D 2 Aug 1948 Nottingham, Notts.

1871 and 1881 census she is with her parents and family.
1939 Register she is living in Nottingham with her family and died there in 1948.

Children:
Lillie Wesseldine 1889-1957
John (Johnny) Wesseldine 1890-1971
Mary Ann Wesseldine 1892-
James Wesseldine 1894-1959
William Wesseldine 1894-1900

Thomas Albert Smith
Bn 1863 Plumbtree, Notts.
Bp 11 Jan 1863 Plumbtree, Notts.
D 1928 The old Workhouse Hospital, Nottingham.

Partnered Medlane Smith 1862-1907 (died from appendicitis) d/o Hawthorne Smith 1817-1883 & Cinamenta Smith 1819-1914

Children:
George Smith Bn 1889 Hyson Green, Notts.
Reservoir Smith Bn 5 Nov 1890 Castleton St, Nottingham -Died 1980 Doncaster, Yorkshire.
      She married in 1908 George Edward Sidney Margetts 1886-1941
Mary Ann Smith Bn 4 Apr 1893 Hyson Green – Died 1973 Nottingham, Notts.
      She married in 1915 Thomas Stanley 1892-1945
Beatrice Smith Bn 1899 Hyson Green, Notts.
Henry (Harry) Smith Bn 1901 Berridge Road, Hyson Green, Notts.
Gray, Parker, Elliott, Wright, Towle, Wesseldine, Margot's, Bacon, Blankley, Goodwin, Stafford.

Offline kaziah

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Tuesday 17 September 19 14:47 BST (UK) »
Jemima Smith
Bn 9 Jan 1865 Blidworth, Notts.
BP 11 Jul 1865 St Andrew’s, Eakring, Notts
Died 12 Feb 1941 Belgrave, Leic.
Bur in Thurmaston, Leic.
In 1888 she met Pharoah Stafford (1867-1928) at the Belton Horse Fair, both families being at the fair.
In 1889 they Jumped the Broom – both families were against the union, they didn’t want them marrying out of their casts – they use to meet in secret at “The Gate Hangs Well” pub in Syston, Leic.

I have her on the 1871 & 1881 census with her parents. 
1891 Jemima & Pharaoh are at 28 Victoria St, Belgrave, Leic.
1901 Jemima & Pharaoh are at Main St, South Thurmaston, Leic.
1911 Jemima & Pharaoh are at 41 Justice St, Leicester.
1939 Jemima is an impatient at the Leicester City Mental Asylum suffering from Senile Decay – times are different now thankfully.

I was also told that when Jemima got older, she lost her sight and went blind.

They had the following Children:
Lillie Stafford               1890-1892
Beatrice (Beta) Stafford            1891
John Robert Stafford            1892
Joseph (Joe) Stafford            1893-1960
Baby Stafford (born and died the same day)    1895-1895
Florence Stafford            1897
Edith Stafford               1898-1969
Pharaoh (Ernest Pharoah) Stafford      1900
Luther (Pharoah) Stafford          1902
Elizabeth Lilian Stafford            1904
Harold Stafford               1906-1979
Frederick Stafford            1909-1952

Marienna (Mireny) Smith
Bn 1873 Mapperley, Notts.

She is on the 1881 census with her parents and siblings
I have nothing on her after this.

Offline kaziah

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: Tuesday 17 September 19 14:47 BST (UK) »
Frederick Smith
Bn 1868 Woodhouse Eaves, Leic
Bp 18 Mar 1868 Woodhouse, Leic.
Marr 10 Feb 1923 Leicester Reg Office, address Van, Back of Hardina St, Leicester.  He said he was 45, he was 55 – His wife Nellie Elizabeth Horton (1903-1976) she was 23.
Died 1940 in the Workhouse Hospital, Swain St, Leicester from Chronic Myocardial degeneration and Chronic Nephritis aged 76.

1871 & 1881 Census he is with his parents and siblings.
I’ve not got him on the 1901 or 1911 census.
1939 register he is living in a house on Bendbow Rise, Leicester- Fred is a retired Hawker.

The had the following children:

Frederick Smith      1927
Harry Smith      1928
Lilian Smith      1933
Sheila E Smith       1934
John F Smith      1939

John (Jack) Smith
Bn 22 Dec 1872
Died 1946 Chatteris, Cambs.

On the 1881 census he is with his parents and siblings
Haven’t got him on the 1901.
1911 Census He’s with his partner Betsy Wesseldine (1872-1954) in a Caravan, Dingley Lane, Dingley, Northants.
1939 their in a Caravan, Williey Farm, Chatteries, Cambs.

They had the following children: (not 100% sure of the dates on these).
John Joseph Smith   1892-1979
Mary Ann Smith   1893/02-1975
Beatrice Smith      1896
Frederick Smith      1898
Eliza Smith      1899
Frank Smith      1901
William Smith      1906
Henry Smith      1907
Queenie Violet Smith   1909-1996
Samuel Smith      1909
Amos Smith      1913-1992
Bella Smith      1916

Offline panished

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: Tuesday 17 September 19 20:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Kizi

How are you this day, i am very sorry i would have wrote sooner but i have been working over Burton way, i just cooked a great dinner of a stire fry, its got chicken and vegtables in, plus a great sourse, i put lots of peppers in to, plus a few stronbows but you just drink them, there great to, i do hope you are feeling well and these past days i have thought of you much, you have done very well, i know there is more to learn, but you must know that the past Peoples would and do think well of you, the past is a hard thing to learn of, i was always rajed so its not to bad for me, i could just slip in fine with the lot of them, it must be hard for others who just do not know what to do with the past, such a strange thing for them, i must just talk openly a bit more with you just about everyday things instead of just records, do you see how most just live in dates, its not there fault, i do hope your alright today, if you ever want to say anything you can, you done a rearly good job in reseaching, dont worry if you got anything a bit wrong, i think your very special, i,m not saying i love you yet, but you never know, dordi, i hope that gave you a smile, liston, i will write back but this is not the right time, i should respectfully just talk to you like this, i will reread all your fine writings over many times and to my death respect the Dead, you have respected them with your words, i dont supose you are used to talking to someone like me, i have my own ways and true its a   kind of way that most dont understand,  i dont care for such peoples thoughts and not a power in the worled ever existed that could hold me in any kind of fear, its very nice though several Old people from Old Familys have wrote to me down the yeares and talked straight talk, they tell me how they understand my talk, how about that then, theres more again but i just wanted to have a chat with you to show you i like you, we will talk another day of records, you tell me now if your ever feeling bad or the like and we will deal with that, well done Kizi all your Ansecsters are ver proud of you, keep going forever, one day someone will research you, then they will find me and You having a chat, then we are apart of all the Ancesters, how about that then, and they will say, we was all good with each other, and they will say how Leahcim is such a fine fellow and so nice to the great People as Yourself, and i bet they try and cook like me to, but not the strongbow, well maybe a few cans, it makes your spelling better, well it does when you had a few, merrm, talk another time, i am very gratefull for you to shareing your reseach, i will remember you for ever, and i will think of you tomorrow, i will write back about things but this is just now the time for a little chat, look after yourself and dont ever worry of nothing, sure thats a stupid thing todo, put your shoulders back and held your head high, you must always say no one taps this kid on the back, proud is the strongest word from the Old Romanys, thats the Oldest Word, in loverly bright colours, if anyone says different in your lifetime remember they donr rearly like anyone from the Proud Gipsies, truthfully they are strangers not only to you but to the truth, its sad but they are bad people, thats just the way life is, sure in this worled someone as to be bad, sure how would they be good if there was no bad, its rearly simple when you learn to understand words right, do you see them, they fall from the sky, i hear them, i understand them to, anyway thank you again, i am sure people in this day of youres and days after will remember you, well done Kizi, well done, from your pal michael

Offline panished

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: Thursday 19 September 19 20:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Kizi and Sky

Try and work this out, I will say more another day of these story's, looks like we have found another camp site, try and work out yourself what is going on, I know everything and the places in these story's, I have no doubt that some of these street or field names will appear in some official record, if you can link up any record with this great new evidence put it on here, I will talk through all these story's later, we have lots of Relations now in many ways starting to come to life, Hawthorne Street Smiths Field the Meadows next to Wilford as the Wilshers in numbers staying there over many yeares, George Smith was there to with many of his Relatives in fact thanks to Kizi this place as in surrounding dwelling is quite the place of many of Kizis many Relations, what a great thing it as been for us all to bring the truth back for the great Dead, all around this place like Cremorne Street there are people living in Vans and houses, some coming and going others seem to make this place a settled place maybe for a while, now by Kizi telling of the old record of the Smiths in Sneinton I have been looking and now have this evidence below to search ever more in the hope of helping the Dead, the Smiths are all around Sneinton in the past I will talk more later of story's, I am sure we can find more, I will explain the story's next in detail, try and work things out yourself first and see if you can form that bigger picture that I always talk of, these story's are alive to me for I know everything in them yet I never new of these story's before only the fact I know the buildings placers and locality, this as been a great find to me, this is the place of my birth, we all must help each other and do our best, we can and will find much more, we can do it, these story's below talk of the place that the Gipsy's would come to in Sneinton, hopfully in the future we may find records of their names and Family's, this is just the start, Wilford and the Meadows Carry's on in the way we shall find more, all these places link up, the Family's link up to, we shall bring them to life, we will raise them, we don't have to wake them for there not sleeping

Offline panished

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: Thursday 19 September 19 20:55 BST (UK) »
Friday 09 May 1828
  Nottingham Review and General Advertiser for the Midland Counties
  Nottinghamshire

Notice is hereby Given. THAT the ANNUAL MEETING of the SUBSCRIBERS to the ASSOCIATION of the RIGHT HONORABLE ..
... Holme Pierrepont Sampson John, Kneesall Sandy Wm. Holme Pierrepont Gimson Thomas, Clipstone Green Robert, Ratclifte Hornbuckle Isaac, Sneinton…….. 

Thursday 09 January 1851
  Nottinghamshire Guardian
  Nottinghamshire

COUNTY HALL, NOTTINGHAM. ~
... Isaac Hornbuckle, victualler, Sneinton, ss. John Watson, victualler, Sneinton, £1. Henry Newbold, shopkeeper, Sneinton, ss. James Green, blacksmith, Sneintou, 10s. John Gee, flour seller, Sneinton, 20s. Francis Burrows, beerhouse keeper...

Friday 07 January 1853
  Nottingham Journal
  Nottinghamshire

—AII Persons Indebted to the late Mr. ISAAC HORNBUCKLE, of Sneinton, Victualler, deceased, are requested to pay their respective Debts to Mr. THOMAS GREGORY MORLIT, Solicitor…….

Friday 15 April 1853
 Nottingham Journal
  Nottinghamshire

William Howitt. Carlton road, lace-manufacturer.— We William Burgess, Sneinton, merchant Matthew Sheppard, Old Sneinton. Farmer…………..   

Friday 11 July 1856
  Nottingham Journal
  Nottinghamshire

which have recently been put up to the parish church, the following gentlemen were appointed as judges, viz. Mr..l. Hornbuckle, of Sneinton, well known amongst bellringers for his taste in bell music: Mr. H. Farmer: and Mr Richanbion, organist of St. Nicholas ...

Offline panished

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: Thursday 19 September 19 20:56 BST (UK) »
Friday 24 December 1869
  Nottinghamshire Guardian
  Nottinghamshire

... intestate, are hereby required to send in the particulars of their claims of demands .to ANN SHEP- PARD (wife of Matthew Sheppard, of Sneinton, in the County of Nottingham, Farmer, to whom Letters of Adminis- tration of the personal estate and effects of the ...

Friday 25 April 1873
  Nottingham Journal
  Nottinghamshire

NOTTINGHAM_COUNTY COURT
  Edward Hornbuckle, a pig dealer was charged with cruelty to a horse on the 19th inst.—lnspector Dobie, of the Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to animals...

Saturday 06 December 1873
  Nottingham Journal
  Nottinghamshire

W. WHITEHEAD to sell, at their Brick Works, Carlton, near Nottingham, formerly known as Hornbuckles-yard, the whole of their PLANT, consisting of three useful HORSES, three Carts, Barrows, Wheeling Planks...

Saturday 19 December 1874
 Nottingham Journal
  Nottinghamshire

guests sat down to an excellent dinner, at the Lord Nelson, better known as “Hornbuckle’s,” Sneinton....

Monday 28 April 1879
  Nottingham Evening Post
  Nottinghamshire

TO-DAY'S POLICE NEWS
—Thome Hornbuckle charged with causing cruelty to a horse... .….and he considered that it would be a great cruelty to drive it along the streets. The horse was fit to work upon a farm. Hornbuckle said the horse was only slightly lame when it started. The case was dismissed upon payment of 16s……………

Offline panished

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: Thursday 19 September 19 20:57 BST (UK) »
  Monday 27 September 1880
 Nottingham Evening Post
  Nottinghamshire

TO-DAY'S POLICE NEWS
 Boys.—Alfred Smedley and John Hancock, two boys, were charged with damaging a quantity of turnips, the property of Mr. Sheppard, Sneinton Dale. Smedley was discharged, and the other defendant was ordered to pay 2s. 6d ………..

Wednesday 14 September 1881
  Nottingham Evening Post
  Nottinghamshire

TO-DAY'S POLICE NEWS
... Richardson, alias Miller, four boys, were charged on remand with having stolen a quantity of apples from the garden of Mr. Sheppard, of Sneinton Dale. Mr. Swinburne, School Board officer, said careful enquiries had been made into the lads' characters, and the ...

Friday 07 October 1881
 Nottinghamshire Guardian
  Nottinghamshire

containing an area of 287 square yards, and which Messuages are in the respective occupations of Jane Balderton, Henry Hornbuckle, and Wm. Seymour, back and front to Nelson-street aforesaid. LOT TV.— All that Plot of BUILDING LAND, abutting upon the last ...

Friday 21 July 1882
  Nottinghamshire Guardian
  Nottinghamshire

POLICE INTELLIGENCE
 Damage. — William Daley and Charles Rawson, boys, were charged with damaging apple trees belonging to Samuel Sheppard, Nelson-street, Sneinton.. They were dis- charged on payment of the expenses….. 

Friday 15 June 1883
  Nottinghamshire Guardian
  Nottinghamshire

— Mr. George Topham. mineral water manufacturer, Inde- pendent-street (honorary) ; Mr. H. Hornbuckle, Lord Nelson, Sneinton ; Mr. Broadhead, The Clarence ; Mr. W. Knight, Spread Eagle, Alfreton-road ; Mr. G. Fryer, Hope and Anchor ...

Friday 02 January 1885
 Nottingham Evening Post
  Nottinghamshire

THE FATAL ACCIDENT IN A BRICKYARD AT SNEINTON
... where the deceased was at work. A man named Sheppard was working with Campion at the time. One had to hack the clay out and the other throw down to witness. Shortly before two o'clock witness heard Sheppard shout Look out, Campion there is a face giving way...

Friday 03 April 1885
  Nottinghamshire Guardian
  Nottinghamshire

ALLEGED GAMBLING IN A PUBLIC HOUSE
  At the Summons Court on Friday, before Mr. Ashwell and Mr. Fitshugh, Emmadina Hornbuckle, landlady of the Lord Nelson Inn, Thurgarton-street, Sneinton, was summoned for having permitted gambling on her premises.— P. c. Richardson stated that ...