Author Topic: Joseph and Jane Smith and family, Providence, Rhode Island.  (Read 2989 times)

Offline Althea7

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Joseph and Jane Smith and family, Providence, Rhode Island.
« Reply #36 on: Monday 27 May 19 18:58 BST (UK) »
an exhaustive tree for John McMackin and his family, on ancestry
https://www.ancestry.com/family-tree/person/tree/5440167/person/-1318298207/facts?_phsrc=Pgx1693&_phstart=successSource

That tree has their two daughters, Edith's death (1922), Margaret's husband and her children, etc. Margaret's death 1973.

Do you have ancestry.com or should I transcribe the records?

I used to have ancestry.co.uk which has lapsed, and it never did give me American records anyway.  I found Margaret's husband was called McCall, that is all I know, from Margaret's 1973 death record.  I don't know anything about her children.  I found the Find a Grave references to the burials of Edith and Margaret.

Offline Althea7

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Monday 27 May 19 19:01 BST (UK) »
an exhaustive tree for John McMackin and his family, on ancestry
https://www.ancestry.com/family-tree/person/tree/5440167/person/-1318298207/facts?_phsrc=Pgx1693&_phstart=successSource

----
1900 they were living next to her sister Sarah in Westerly, I'll transcribe it in a minute

Jane was living next to her sisters Sarah and Edith and nephew Earl on the 1910 census too. 

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Monday 27 May 19 19:06 BST (UK) »

Sadly, you can only get those interactive links if you have a membership to anc  :-\

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Althea7

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Monday 27 May 19 19:12 BST (UK) »

Sadly, you can only get those interactive links if you have a membership to anc  :-\

Sandra

Yes, if I get another membership I will include American records, there are a lot of them and it would be worthwhile.  I didn't renew because it is difficult to use on Apple Safari, and I can't manage Windows 10, didn't want to struggle with odd browsers.  I keep having to use a special sign in process and it keeps failing, but still useful.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Monday 27 May 19 19:16 BST (UK) »

Are you looking at family search, they have a great variety ?

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Althea7

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Monday 27 May 19 19:22 BST (UK) »

Are you looking at family search, they have a great variety ?

Sandra

Yes I am using familysearch, and a lot of other records too.  Find a Grave is good.  I have never had so many American records to look at before.  I will look into an Ancestry membership that includes American records, maybe a short one because the issues with Apple Safari make everything more difficult, they don't really support it, but it is just about possible.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Monday 27 May 19 19:45 BST (UK) »

What is it particular you need ?

Sandra

Offline Althea7

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Monday 27 May 19 20:01 BST (UK) »

What is it particular you need ?

Sandra

I think I am finding all the information anyway without the Ancestry tree.  Margaret McMackin married Gordon MacCall, and they had two children Janet and Harold MacCall.  There is actually a lot of information elsewhere, just the Ancestry tree makes it very easy to find.

As I said I might take out a short Ancestry membership with world wide records that include the USA.  Or I could look in a library and follow those links.

I wasn't finding my UK Ancestry membership useful enough to continue, with the added hassle of it not being really compatible with Apple Safari.

Thanks for your help, I think I have all the information I need.  It is only the descendants of Margaret McMackin, Harold and Janet, and there won't be any more information after the 1940 US census, and much beyond that point privacy gets intruded on anyway.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Monday 27 May 19 20:11 BST (UK) »

There is a New York Passenger List for John Mcmickin born 1856 - Scotland - aged 19 years - arriving 29 July 1875 on the Utopia - Glasgow to New York.  Moulder
He was part of a McMackin family. Peter 45 years (moulder),  Cath 41 years, John 19 years, Lily 10 years, Isa 8 years, Peter 6 years, Wm 4 years.

Sandra