Author Topic: I can't get my fathers birth certicate!! Help please  (Read 10329 times)

Offline katarina

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
I can't get my fathers birth certicate!! Help please
« on: Tuesday 16 August 05 10:02 BST (UK) »
I'm in a pickle! I looked at the form that i have to complete for a copy of my fathers (Richard Kavanagh) birth entry in Dublin 1932, and i have to give my grandmothers name. The reason i want my fathers birth details is so that i can find out my grandparents names!!

I only have my fathers name and full date of birth and know that he was born in Dublin, but as i can't supply his mothers name then the registrar office will return my application :-[

What do i do now?

Is there any other way that i could get the extract that i want?? I can't get to Ireland either.

I want to make a start on my Kavanagh family tree and before i get going i have already hit a brick wall!! :'(

Yours desperately

Katarina
ROBERTSON- Glasgow, Bathgate, Newburgh, Abdie, Abernethy, St Madoes.<br />MALCOLM/CONSTABLE- Abernethy, Dunning.<br />FORSYTH/COWAN- Glasgow, Cathcart.<br />FOTHERINGHAM/PATON/PITKETHLY-Newburgh, Abernethy.<br />BISSLAND/MILLER- New/East Kilpatrick, Glasgow.<br />BARLOW- Lancashire, Glasgow.<br />MITCHELL/JOHNSTON- Buchanan, New/East Kilpatrick.<br />KILROY- London, MIddx/Balinrobe Mayo <br />KAVANAGH/NORTON-Dublin Eire

Offline KathyM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: I can't get my fathers birth certicate!! Help please
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 16 August 05 10:12 BST (UK) »
I don't think it's mandatory - if you just put a ? or 'not known' - you should get it - especially if you know the exact d.o.b.
~~~~~~~~

Census transcriptions Crown Copyright, www.NationalArchives.gov.uk

Ardill,  Bourke/Burke, Bellwood, Bridge, Cain, Church, Cragg,  Dennell, Dunning, Gough, Haslam, Holmes, Jessop, Kidson/Kitson, Knowles, Markwick, Martin, Munden, Nickerson, Robinson,  Seddon, Whittle, Varley & Walpole.

Areas: Yorkshire, Lancashire, Norfolk, Marylebone & Tipperary

Offline Pat Reid

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 17 August 05 07:21 BST (UK) »
Katarina:

I have a relative with exact same problem. He can't get his mother's birth cert for same reason. I can't believe that Dublin is so rigid!
Hope someone has some ideas for you.

Pat
Reid, McAlinden, Larmour, Mulholland, Kelly
Warrenpoint, Rostrevor, Rathfriland

Offline KathyM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 17 August 05 08:24 BST (UK) »

Have you got his father's name from his marriage certificate ?

I think these questions are asked to ensure they have the right certificate - and also (on modern certs.) to avoid fraud.

If I were you I would telephone them & order over the phone.....I ordered a marriage cert. and although it was very slow....they seemed very nice to deal with & even rang me with a query.

I am sure the cost of the call would be worth it !
~~~~~~~~

Ardill,  Bourke/Burke, Bellwood, Bridge, Cain, Church, Cragg,  Dennell, Dunning, Gough, Haslam, Holmes, Jessop, Kidson/Kitson, Knowles, Markwick, Martin, Munden, Nickerson, Robinson,  Seddon, Whittle, Varley & Walpole.

Offline ladybird

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Oh golly
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 17 August 05 09:49 BST (UK) »
Do you have any idea how long a death cert should take to arrive please?

I ordered one from Dublin a month ago and even given that it has to be posted to NZ it seems a long time.

They don't seem to have debited my bankcard yet either???
Sylvia
Main names:
Scotland (Travellers) - Townsend/Townsley, Conway, Stewart
Lanark and Stirling - Jeffrey.
Northumberland/ Durham - Newton, Nixon, Sharp, Greaves, Naters
Warwickshire and London - Garfield.
Ireland, Co. Kerry - Marah/Meara/Mara, McClure, Howard, Melvin
Lincs - Smith, Vinter

other offshoots - Berry, Steven, Craig, Atkins, Fuller, , Stewart, Conway, Heather,

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline KathyM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 17 August 05 10:08 BST (UK) »
The one I ordered took a long time !

I ordered it just before Christmas (and wondered if that explained the delay), but didn't receive it until the beginning of February
~~~~~~~~

Offline ladybird

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Oh golly
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 17 August 05 10:14 BST (UK) »
Oh good grief!!  :o
I won't hold my breath then
Main names:
Scotland (Travellers) - Townsend/Townsley, Conway, Stewart
Lanark and Stirling - Jeffrey.
Northumberland/ Durham - Newton, Nixon, Sharp, Greaves, Naters
Warwickshire and London - Garfield.
Ireland, Co. Kerry - Marah/Meara/Mara, McClure, Howard, Melvin
Lincs - Smith, Vinter

other offshoots - Berry, Steven, Craig, Atkins, Fuller, , Stewart, Conway, Heather,

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline katarina

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 17 August 05 10:43 BST (UK) »
Kathy & Pat,

My father didn't marry my mother so I can't produce a marriage certificate but  he died here in England and I have a copy of his death certificate so would that suffice I wonder??
Obviously I have my own full birth certificate which shows that he is my father, I can actually show that I am related.
I think I will have to give them a ring on the phone and have a chat to see if this would help.

I, like many others, don't have any information about my Kavanagh family, apart from what I remember from childhood. I have never had any contact with my dads family and never met them before I went into a childrens home when I was 8 years old.

Does anyone know if the LDS have Dublin births for this period on microfiche at all???

Thanks for your help  :)

Katarina

ROBERTSON- Glasgow, Bathgate, Newburgh, Abdie, Abernethy, St Madoes.<br />MALCOLM/CONSTABLE- Abernethy, Dunning.<br />FORSYTH/COWAN- Glasgow, Cathcart.<br />FOTHERINGHAM/PATON/PITKETHLY-Newburgh, Abernethy.<br />BISSLAND/MILLER- New/East Kilpatrick, Glasgow.<br />BARLOW- Lancashire, Glasgow.<br />MITCHELL/JOHNSTON- Buchanan, New/East Kilpatrick.<br />KILROY- London, MIddx/Balinrobe Mayo <br />KAVANAGH/NORTON-Dublin Eire

Offline JustinL

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 17 August 05 12:52 BST (UK) »
Katarina,

Don't worry. Look in the section on Research at groireland and you will see how the births are recorded in the register. With your father's full name, date and place of birth, there should be no difficulty in finding the correct registration and the certificate.

Uusally, researchers know the parents of the individual and are hoping to establish the date of birth.

There is also a tip about applying to the local Superintendant's Register Office for a quicker response.

To obtain a birth certificate from South Africa, you have to know the exact date of birth...

Good luck,

Justin