Author Topic: MacMillan/McMillan  (Read 3603 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: MacMillan/McMillan
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 29 May 19 09:04 BST (UK) »
Address: Nuide More, Kingussie Inverness
Nuide is just a few miles from Breakachy, but it's not in the parish of Laggan

https://www.geograph.org.uk/browse.php?p=718621
https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=15&lat=57.0614&lon=-4.0786&layers=5&b=1 - if you drag the blue dot to the left you will see a satellite view.

Donald M(a)cMillan and Catherine M(a)cPherson had three baptisms recorded in the parish of Kingussie:
Archibald 1834
Malcolm 1837
Aeneas 1842
The dates of baptism don't fit with the ages in the census, but if they were not baptised as infants they could be the same family.

However the 1841 census (transcriptions at both FreeCen and FindMyPast) says that all of this family, including Donald and Catherine, were born in Inverness-shire.

Also, if this is the same Donald M(a)cMillan and Catherine M(a)cPherson who were having children in the 1830s in Ardnamurchan, where are the older children? Have they all died?

There are baptisms of two children to Archibald M(a)cMillan and Catherine Campbell in Argyll
Duncan, 1797, South Knapdale
Anne, 1805, Ardnamurchan
So there's room there for Donald, though his baptism record has not survived.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Garraway

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 29 May 19 13:23 BST (UK) »
"This is what I have found further. 
Donald McMillan died age 92 in 1891 b circa 1799/1800 and listed Catherine Campbell as Mother, and Archibald as father. 
Found a Marriage in 1854 in Victoria, Australia to Margaret Kerr.
Children I have found were Donald b 1859 Hugh b 1861, Martha b 1863 and Anna Bella.
In 1864. A Donald married a Mary McKenzie and scores of children from 1870s to late 1880s. I presume this to be one of his Scottish born sons by the same name? Clan McMillan has a listing for a Donald and Catherine on the Indus in 1849 from Strontain, Argyl, but I am not 100% sure that he is the one."

Is Donald McMillan who died 1891 aged 92 your ancestor or other relation...how did you arrive at him?

Annie
This is him because he died at in Arthurs Creek, where his daughter Martha lived, and probably cared for him in his old age. Martha is my ancestor. On his death record it lists Archibald and Catherine as parents. Thanks

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 29 May 19 13:27 BST (UK) »
On his death record it lists Archibald and Catherine as parents.
Next time you post a query, please include ALL the relevant information about the person you are looking for in your first post. That way helpful RootsChatters won't waste their time trying to find stuff you already know.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Garraway

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 29 May 19 13:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Garraway,
Was looking for info on Donald MacMillan arrived in Australia 3/12/1849 on the "Indus"
I take it you have seen this record/ shipping manifest?

I have seen one reference to him being from "Strontain", and another from "Breakachy Farm" Laggan, Inverness Widower, arrived in Australia 1860-1865 with 7 children.
Where have you seen these references?
And is this the same man as above? Just confused as to how Donald MacMillan arrived in 1849 and yet is then arriving between 1860-65 with 7 children  :-\

He is referred to being around 50 years old in  1866.
On which document is he referred to as being this age in 1866?

You say Donald died in 1881 aged 92. Yet fifteen years earlier he is "around 50 ".....when the man who died in 1881 would have been approx. 77.

Looby :)
To clear matters up, he died in 1891. The source of the presumed age was from a his obituary, although at first it was unclear whether the article was referring to his arrival from Scotland, or his arrival to Arthurs Creek where he carved a farm out of the forest. Now I know that he arrived in Australia much earlier, as the children were born from 1859 onwards from what I can tell from the Victorian BDM. Sorry for the confusion. The info that interest me is although a few researchers here have him arriving in the late 1840s, that individual came from Argyl, but speaking to his decendants in Arthurs Creek seem to think he was from Inverness. The death record shows his mother Catherine Campbell who was from Inverness. Cheers

Offline Garraway

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 29 May 19 13:42 BST (UK) »
Address: Nuide More, Kingussie Inverness
Nuide is just a few miles from Breakachy, but it's not in the parish of Laggan

https://www.geograph.org.uk/browse.php?p=718621
https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=15&lat=57.0614&lon=-4.0786&layers=5&b=1 - if you drag the blue dot to the left you will see a satellite view.

Donald M(a)cMillan and Catherine M(a)cPherson had three baptisms recorded in the parish of Kingussie:
Archibald 1834
Malcolm 1837
Aeneas 1842
The dates of baptism don't fit with the ages in the census, but if they were not baptised as infants they could be the same family.

However the 1841 census (transcriptions at both FreeCen and FindMyPast) says that all of this family, including Donald and Catherine, were born in Inverness-shire.

Also, if this is the same Donald M(a)cMillan and Catherine M(a)cPherson who were having children in the 1830s in Ardnamurchan, where are the older children? Have they all died?

There are baptisms of two children to Archibald M(a)cMillan and Catherine Campbell in Argyll
Duncan, 1797, South Knapdale
Anne, 1805, Ardnamurchan
So there's room there for Donald, though his baptism record has not survived.

Thanks for that information. It seems the Donald that was on the Indus is the correct fit for my ancestor afterall. If it wasnt for the listings of his parents on the death record, I would never know. I wonder where the local newspaper reference to Breakachy Farm originated. I know the property has a deep history of conflict. Thanks for the help.

Offline Garraway

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 29 May 19 13:56 BST (UK) »
Ahh...in that case, pretty consistent then! Birth year around 1798-9...possibly  ::)

Monica
Yes, thank you so much for your info. The marriage to Catherine McPherson was obviously his link to Inverness, and the earlier children. Malcolm is the name of one of his living descendants that I spoke to in Arthurs Creek too. The other thing that was interesting to me was that Donald was identured to a Captain McPherson until he paid off his passage fair. Captain McPherson lived in a near by town and could of been a link to his first wife. Also his mother moved here, but to another state which is strange. .Cheers

Offline Garraway

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 29 May 19 13:59 BST (UK) »
Thanks to all the legends on this forum gathering the information I needed. You guys n gals rock.

Offline jdw50

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 18 June 19 23:03 BST (UK) »
Donald was a shepherd, born 30 October 1799. I wonder how he came to meet Catherine, born in 1803 in Kingussie, 100 miles away. The family seem to have been in Archaracle after the marriage until about 1833, then moved north to the Badenoch region where Catherine came from. He then worked at Nuid More, a farm that had been run by McPhersons since the 1600s. It was managed by Capt Aeneas McPherson, a Peninsular War veteran invalided out after being wounded. I can only suppose he was somehow related to Catherine but I don't know how.

After Catherine's death about 1848 (I haven't found this anywhere), the captain emigrated to Victoria on the Indus, taking family and dependants with him. Donald was one of the dependants, along with some of his children. After their arrival, Donald continued working for the captain to repay his fare, before settling in Arthur's Creek and remarrying. I've seen a reference to Margaret Kerr also being related to the captain, but haven't been able to stand that up either.

The captain went on to New Zealand and died in Geraldine in 1875. NZ newspaper obituaries give quite a lot of detail about his life, but I just can't find any link to Catherine other than the surname.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 19 June 19 06:57 BST (UK) »
This Aeneas MacPherson, Nuidemore, subject was covered by poster marthe53 last year.

Skoosh.