Author Topic: Mitchell library lookup  (Read 1768 times)

Offline snook

• RootsChat Member
  • Allways rocking on,trying to complete my Family
    • View Profile
Mitchell library lookup
« on: Wednesday 29 May 19 05:17 BST (UK) »
Mitchell library lookup or any information on where Lair No: 132 is.

Used by my 3rd & 4th Gt Grandparents the Murray family from 1778 to 1845 in Glasgow.

Cheers Snook
Murray,Scotland,Tobago,Usa,N.Z.
Reade,Ireland,Eng,N.Z.
Hughes,Eng
Teague,Cornwall,N.Z.
Honey,Eng,Aus,N.Z.
Drew,Eng
Hansfords,Dorset,Southampton,Lancashire,Glasgow,London,USA & N.Z.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mitchell library lookup
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 29 May 19 11:42 BST (UK) »
 The large municipal cemeteries opened post that date, they could be buried at the Cathedral or smaller burial grounds like the Calton?  If he was a merchant  it would be the old Ramshorn kirkyard. When it was full the merchants opened the Necropolis Cemetery on the hill above the cathedral in the 1830's. A very low lair number.

Skoosh.

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 29 May 19 14:50 BST (UK) »
Mitchell library lookup or any information on where Lair No: 132 is.

Used by my 3rd & 4th Gt Grandparents the Murray family from 1778 to 1845 in Glasgow.

Cheers Snook

Most of the cemeteries will have a “lair no 132” .... although the major portion of your dates would put it to one of the church graveyards given by Skoosh. The Necropolis (1833) and the Southern Necropolis (1840) also come into the mix.

What area are your records linked with ?

Offline snook

• RootsChat Member
  • Allways rocking on,trying to complete my Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 30 May 19 23:59 BST (UK) »
My 4th Gt Grandparent John also a wright of Provan Mill,Gadsbridge & later Glasgow. d.1778 his wife Ann d.1817 (Lair 132)

My 3rd Gt Grandparent George was a wright (Glazier) of Gibson Street Gallowgate. d.1820  his wife Margaret d.1845  (Lair 132)

My 2nd Gt Grandparent George (also Wright & Factor)& family are buried in Lair 179 adjacent Necropolis Cathedral 1854 to 1917.(i have the headstone photo)

Snook

Murray,Scotland,Tobago,Usa,N.Z.
Reade,Ireland,Eng,N.Z.
Hughes,Eng
Teague,Cornwall,N.Z.
Honey,Eng,Aus,N.Z.
Drew,Eng
Hansfords,Dorset,Southampton,Lancashire,Glasgow,London,USA & N.Z.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 31 May 19 09:46 BST (UK) »
Snook, you might try contacting the Trades House in Glasgow,

https://www.tradeshouse.org.uk

The history of the Wrights was printed by James Erskine & Sons in 1928, "The Incorporation of Wrights in Glasgow!" which might be available on-line? the Wrights have a genealogical roll of members!

Bests,
Skoosh.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 31 May 19 09:53 BST (UK) »
https://archive.org/stream/incorporationofw00inco/incorporationofw00inco_djvu.txt but there's no genealogical information about those of my ancestors who are mentioned in it. It may be a different edition, of course.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 31 May 19 10:15 BST (UK) »
Good find FF, I have the book, the thing with the Trades Incorporations is that with the growth of Glasgow the old incorporations lost control of the industrial life of the city & became in effect charitable foundations/social clubs. The later lists of members reflect this & include merchants, ship-owners & members of other trades etc'. There are not many Murray's listed so possibly generations of one family.

The Cathedral looks like the best bet for these graves, possibly the walled-off sections north of the Cathedral itself & against the Royal Infirmary.

Bests,
Skoosh. 

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 31 May 19 10:20 BST (UK) »
I have the book
Any chance of a swift keek to see if it has any genealogical information on any Waddells, please, Skoosh?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 31 May 19 10:48 BST (UK) »
FF, I don't see any in the Names of  Members but the List of Members has,

James Waddell, wright, 1808,

William Waddell, writer, 1814,

John Waddell, wright, 1814.

Unfortunately no addresses. The "Names of Members" must be this genealogical contribution. The Wrights covered a multiplicity of trades, but a Writer seems a bit strange?

In 1696, 17th Sep' a William Waddell & two other painters submitted themselves to join the Wrights being the only painters in town!

In 1797/98 a Robert Waddell, a Wright, had the honour of Deacon Convener of the Trades House!

Not many of them FF so again possibly one family?

Bests,
Skoosh.