Author Topic: Mitchell library lookup  (Read 1769 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Mitchell library lookup
« Reply #9 on: Friday 31 May 19 11:53 BST (UK) »
Not many of them FF so again possibly one family?
Thanks, Skoosh. I know about William Waddell, Robert Waddell and Michael Waddell, all of whom were descendants of the Waddells of Magiscroft, New Monkland.

Michael was one of 10 children of William W and Margaret Young, and grandson of John W of Magiscroft. He was born in 1815 in Cumbernauld. He married Jean Morrison Matthews and they had five children, of whom only two daughters survived to adulthood, and only one married. Michael himself died betwen the 1851 census and the end of 1854. However I can be confident about his parentage because his niece was in his household in 1851, and I can pin her down via her mother and sisters, even though they were inconsiderate enough to make it difficult for me by emigrating to Manitoba.

Robert was the son of James W of Magiscroft and Anna Howie, as confirmed by various sasines. He married Margaret Rowan in 1779, and I know of 10 children, though I don't know what became of all of them. Nor do I yet have a date of death for Robert or his wife. It was this Robert who sold Magiscroft, which had been in his family for over 200 years.

William W, writer, was the son of Robert W. I know this because he named his first son Robert and his second daughter Margaret Rowan (his first daughter was named after his mother-in-law). He died some time between 1841 and 1850, when his daughter married James Anderson. See https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=626968.0

James and John W could also be Magiscroft Waddells, but I have not previously come across them. Though Robert's son James was an upholsterer, which I suppose could be stretched to cabinetmaker and thus wright, but it's a bit tenuous without any additional information. He died in 1819.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 31 May 19 13:44 BST (UK) »
@ FF, I assume that William Waddell the painter in 1696 was an artist rather than a hoose-painter being one of only three in Glasgow?

Skoosh.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 31 May 19 14:36 BST (UK) »
I have no idea, not least because I have never come across them before. I'm on reasonably solid ground with the late 18th century ones, but not with the 17th century ones. They'll go on the list to be pursued in due course.

Though I do usually tend to interpret 'painter' as 'painter and decorator' as opposed to 'artist'.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline snook

• RootsChat Member
  • Allways rocking on,trying to complete my Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 06 June 19 00:10 BST (UK) »
The Cathedral looks like the best bet for these graves, possibly the walled-off sections north of the Cathedral itself & against the Royal Infirmary.

Please any more info on the above,ie where is it situated, who to contact for records?

Cheers Snook
Murray,Scotland,Tobago,Usa,N.Z.
Reade,Ireland,Eng,N.Z.
Hughes,Eng
Teague,Cornwall,N.Z.
Honey,Eng,Aus,N.Z.
Drew,Eng
Hansfords,Dorset,Southampton,Lancashire,Glasgow,London,USA & N.Z.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 06 June 19 07:39 BST (UK) »
@ snook, Google  Glasgow Cathedral graves,   findagrave.com & billiongraves.com are possibilities.
At some time (late 18th cent'?) the kirkyard has been measured & the lairs sold off, so a burial would involve cutting through centuries of old graves.

Skoosh.