Author Topic: James Stuart CB of Gracehill  (Read 20817 times)

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James Stuart CB of Gracehill
« Reply #18 on: Friday 19 July 19 23:25 BST (UK) »
There is (according to the Index Of Irish Wills 1484-1858) an abstract surviving somewhere of a James Suart of Gracehill dated 1824.

The reference number is T/15682i but I'm not sure where that refers to.

Offline Benody1921

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 19 July 19 23:31 BST (UK) »
I think that must be for my James's father. Although that would be interesting to read too. I was wanting the one from 1859.
Stuart (India, Antrim, Armagh)
Whiting (Bedfordshire)
Dunn/Taylor (Worcestershire)
Pearson (Worcestershire)
Hill/Rhodes (Worcestershire)
Gough (Warwickshire)
Perry (Devon, Worcestershire)
Maynard (Essex, Yorkshire)
Jennings (Devon)
Coldicott (Warwickshire, Gloucestershire)

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 20 July 19 11:49 BST (UK) »
Extract from Brett’s “Buildings of County Antrim”:
...James Stuart, born in 1743, son of the Rev. Irwin Stuart, built and settled at Gracehill, naming it after his wife Grace Lynd of Stewartstown, probably soon after inheriting on his father's death in 1772. ...... On the death of James Stewart's son, Major-General James Stewart CB, in 1859, the house passed to Thomas S Irwin, whose mother was the General's younger sister Caroline....

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 20 July 19 11:51 BST (UK) »
This is bound to be a connection – (Betham) abstract from the will of Captain James Stewart:

5 Feb 1736 --- pr 21 Nov 1737
Nieces Margt Young alias McDaniel
Niece Susanna Sumpton als McDaniel
Niece Elizabeth Stewart alias McDaniel
Niece Sara MacDonniel
Sister Jane McDanniel
Godson Alexander Stewart of Ballylough
Nephew Charles Mac Daniel

The above Elizabeth Stewart alias McDaniel was probably the wife of the Rev. Irwin Stuart...?

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 20 July 19 12:07 BST (UK) »
Belfast Newsletter, 19th Sep 1857:
THE INDIAN ATROCITIES – THE REPORTED FALL OF AGRA
     We have every reason to believe that the report of the fall of Agra, as published in a French journal, is untrue.  Agra, it is believed, as perfectly able to hold out until the garrison would be relieved by a British force.  In that city are some Europeans connected with North of Ireland families.  Among other refugees in Agra, there is the grandchild of Major-General Stuart, of Gracehill, in this county, whose gallant son, Captain Stuart, was shot in the lines by brutal mutineers.  His wife – a lady universally beloved – daughter of the late Hill Wilson, Esq., of Carrickfergus, rushed out to the bleeding remains of her husband, with her infant in her arms, and mother and child were instantly put to death by the savages.  Their other child escaped, and is now, as we have said, in Agra.
      Colonel Frith, one of the bravest officers before Delhi, is married to a sister of the late Mrs. Stuart; and he is a near relative of Brigadier-General Wilson, who succeeded General Reid in command of the British forces at Delhi.  General Wilson is a fearless soldier and an able commander, the Times, saying of him that he is “a man newly known,” though well known to fame.

Memorial Tablet in Dundurn Chapel (Scotland) to his family's memory:
https://sites.rootsweb.com/~rykbrown/stewart_of_ardvorlich.htm
Sacred to the memory of WILLIAM STEWART, ESQUIRE, of Ardvorlich.  Eldest son of the late Major W. M. Stewart, of the Bengal Army, Lieutenant in the Hon'ble East India COmpany's Bengal Artillery and Captain Commandant of a battery in Scindiah's contingent who was severely wounded in the execution of his duty at Gwalior on the night of the 14th of June 1857, by the mutinous sepoys and by them murdered on the following morning, aged 30 years.  Also to the memory of his wife JANE TURNLY, aged 27 years, youngest daughter of the late Hill Willson, Esquire, Lieutenant in the Hon'ble East India Company's Bengal Engineers and their son ROBERT WALTER aged 2 years who were killed on the night of the 14th idem.  Among the first victims of the Mutiny at Gwalior in the East Indies where the remains of both the parents and child lie interred.  This tablet is erected by his widowed mother and her children.

I’m not quite sure how the Stuarts of Gracehill were connected to the Stewarts of Ardvorlich – was the murdered William Stewart a descendant of Major James Stuart through his maternal line?

Offline Benody1921

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 20 July 19 12:51 BST (UK) »
This is very confusing but in a good way. I need to sort it all out in my brain.

I do believe Elizabeth Stewart alias McDaniel is the wife of the Rev. Good find.

The newspaper article about the attack in Agra is what's giving me trouble. It clearly says Maj-Gen Stuart of Gracehill. That's my James Stuart. But it says his son, Captain Stuart, and that one of his grandchildren is safe but the youngest was killed with his mother. However, it looks like this Captain Stuart is William M Stewart from Scotland and the son of William-Murray Stewart. So why would the article say Captain Stuart is the son of Maj-gen Stuart? My poor brain.
Whiting (Bedfordshire)
Pearson (Worcestershire)
Gough (Warwickshire)
Jennings (Devon)

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 20 July 19 13:06 BST (UK) »
Yes - I'm very confused by that too!

Offline Benody1921

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 20 July 19 13:08 BST (UK) »
My James did have a cousin who was 10 years younger than him. His name was also James Stuart and, of course, he was later a Major-General. Son of Charles Stuart and married Eliza Chambers. Just to add to the confusion.
Whiting (Bedfordshire)
Pearson (Worcestershire)
Gough (Warwickshire)
Jennings (Devon)

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 20 July 19 15:18 BST (UK) »
Do you know where the cousin Major General James Stuart lived - just so I can avoid getting confused.  He wasn't of Gracehill too I take it?