Author Topic: James Stuart CB of Gracehill  (Read 21168 times)

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James Stuart CB of Gracehill
« Reply #234 on: Sunday 06 December 20 15:52 GMT (UK) »
I took a jaunt through the Moore family to see if I could find any Stewarts.  The title “Viscount Moore” is held by the Earls of Drogheda.  It is only used by the eldest son during his father’s lifetime.  The 1st Earl of Drogheda would have been Viscount Moore from the death of his father in 1643 up until his elevation in 1661.

The 3rd Earl of Drogheda’s eldest son Charles Moore married, had children, and died within his father’s lifetime.  Charles Moore was born in about 1676 and died in about 1714, and I think he would have had the title Viscount Moore throughout his life.  See p107 in the History of the Moore Family:

https://www.familysearch.org/library/books/records/item/595913-redirection

Burke’s Peerage lists Charles’s two sons: Henry (4th Earl) and Edward (5th Earl).  The History of Irish Parliament adds another son called Charles who died in infancy.  No sign of any daughters.

If there is a link to William Steuart, it may be somewhere else in the Moore family.  The only Stewart I could find was Alexander Stewart (uncle of Lord Castlereagh, I think) who married Mary Moore, daughter of Charles Moore, 6th Earl (and 1st Marquess) of Drogheda.  But that was in 1791.

Offline Benody1921

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: Monday 07 December 20 12:02 GMT (UK) »
It’s hard to know. It’s been so many years and I’m sure the stories and names would have changed even being told back then. It might be something that is never really sorted out.

Going way back to near the beginning of this thread. I found the newspaper article that mentions Henry Benson Stuart as being the eldest son of Major General James Stuart. It was in 1869 for his marriage announcement to Anna Mary Bourke. Is it just poor wording or is it possible there were other sons after? The Major-General would have been quite an old man. He was already an older man when his known three children were born.
Stuart (India, Antrim, Armagh)
Whiting (Bedfordshire)
Dunn/Taylor (Worcestershire)
Pearson (Worcestershire)
Hill/Rhodes (Worcestershire)
Gough (Warwickshire)
Perry (Devon, Worcestershire)
Maynard (Essex, Yorkshire)
Jennings (Devon)
Coldicott (Warwickshire, Gloucestershire)

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: Tuesday 08 December 20 18:29 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, I’m not sure I get it – if he was the eldest does that not imply that he did have younger siblings?   :-[

Offline Benody1921

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: Tuesday 08 December 20 18:31 GMT (UK) »
That’s what I thought it implied but there doesn’t seem to be any record of other children. I know there were two older siblings but one died in 1834 and the other in 1857.
Stuart (India, Antrim, Armagh)
Whiting (Bedfordshire)
Dunn/Taylor (Worcestershire)
Pearson (Worcestershire)
Hill/Rhodes (Worcestershire)
Gough (Warwickshire)
Perry (Devon, Worcestershire)
Maynard (Essex, Yorkshire)
Jennings (Devon)
Coldicott (Warwickshire, Gloucestershire)