Author Topic: James Stuart CB of Gracehill  (Read 20848 times)

Offline Benody1921

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: James Stuart CB of Gracehill
« Reply #81 on: Sunday 01 September 19 00:22 BST (UK) »
 I could be wrong but I believe James Stuart of Londonderry and Charles George Stuart are brothers. They are the sons of Charles McDaniel Stuart and first cousins to my James Stuart (1784-1859).

James Stuart of Londonderry later became Major-General. He died in October of 1876 at University Terrace, Belfast. The family might have had a burial ground in Dervock.
Stuart (India, Antrim, Armagh)
Whiting (Bedfordshire)
Dunn/Taylor (Worcestershire)
Pearson (Worcestershire)
Hill/Rhodes (Worcestershire)
Gough (Warwickshire)
Perry (Devon, Worcestershire)
Maynard (Essex, Yorkshire)
Jennings (Devon)
Coldicott (Warwickshire, Gloucestershire)

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: Sunday 01 September 19 11:26 BST (UK) »
It's been really difficult to find good sources for this but apparently James I gave land to his cousin who was an ambassador in Turin. This Stewart was on his way to Ireland from Turin when his ship went down. Later, his grandson or descendant of some sort, who is supposed to be Brigadier-general William Stuart, decided to take that land back.

It's been very confusing trying to figure it all out since so many people have different information.

http://www.gracehillhouse.com/history/

In the late 1500’s Gracehill House and estate did not exist. It’s story did not unfold until the early 1600’s when King James I of England and VI of Scotland granted lands in Ireland to a family member James Stuart by royal charter. James was the kings’ ambassador to the court of Italy in Turin. The grant he received included areas of land in Cavan, Monaghan and County Antrim. Unfortunately the ambassador never had the opportunity to take up residence as he tragically drowned whilst on route to occupy his land. The Stuart family over the centuries had members who were prepared to fight for what they believe in, the first that we know of was Brigadier-General William Stuart. William raised a regiment for the service of King William III which saw action at Derry, Augherim, Limerick and the Boyne. The cost of raising this regiment was one for which William never received reimbursement and the effect of this was that he became greatly impoverished causing him to lose most of his estate. His son James served with his father reaching the rank of Colonel; although severely wounded in battle, James still went on to father 21 children with his wife Jane Irwin from Roscommon.

Although the land in County Antrim stayed in the Stuart family it would be some time before Gracehill House as we know it would come into existence. It is through one of James’s children, Irwin Stuart that the story of Gracehill really starts to take shape. Irwin changed the focus of his battle to the souls of men, by taking holy orders and becoming the vicar of Ballywillan and Ballyrashane and later, Derrykeighan. He married Elizabeth McDaniel and had six children – Christopher, James, Charles, Archibald, Elizabeth and Henry. It is not until we read of Irwin’s son James that we hear of Gracehill House being mentioned for the first time.

It is believed that James undertook the construction of the house around 1775 and named it after his wife Grace (Lynd).
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Benody1921

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: Sunday 01 September 19 14:02 BST (UK) »
Thanks. I've got most of that information but then there's more conflicting information.

I have this:
A handwritten note by Charles G Stuart, JP, Ballyhivistock where he traces his family back to Robert Stuart, a relative of  James I, who obtained lands in County Cavan at the Plantation. His grandson William raised his own regiment "Stuart's Regiment" at his own expense to fight for William III.  The king never refunded him. Rev. Irwin Stuart is the grandson of said William Stuart.

But then there's another William Stuart. General William Stewart 1643-1726, second son of Colonel William Stewart.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Steuart_(British_Army_officer)
I don't like using Wikipedia much.

I have an error in my tree surrounding Irwin Stuart's father and grandfathers. Some say that Irwin's father was James and others say he was Henry. I have it down as such (and you'll notice the error by the birth years):

Irwin Stuart (1708-1771 m. Elizabeth McDaniel) son of

Henry Stuart (b. Abt. 1680..m. Jane Irwin) son of

William Stuart (m. Mary Moore) son of

James Steuart (1650-1689) brother of the above mentioned William Stuart, son of

William Stuart (1625-1691 m. Barbara Stewart) son of

William Stewart of Mains, son of

Alexander Stewart, 6th Laird of Garlies (m. Christian Douglas)

It goes on further but I think you get the idea. So somewhere between Henry Stuart and William Stuart of Mains there are errors.

Whiting (Bedfordshire)
Pearson (Worcestershire)
Gough (Warwickshire)
Jennings (Devon)

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: Sunday 01 September 19 14:15 BST (UK) »

James was the kings’ ambassador to the court of Italy in Turin.

The grant he received included areas of land in Cavan, Monaghan and County Antrim.

Unfortunately the ambassador never had the opportunity to take up residence as he tragically drowned whilst on route to occupy his land..

...so who inherited his land in Cavan? 
...who inherited his land in Monaghan? 
....who inherited his land in Antrim?

3 brothers??

Robert Stuart,  obtained lands in County Cavan so he is "of Cavan line"....

Offline Benody1921

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: Sunday 01 September 19 14:24 BST (UK) »
I haven't been able to find anything about a Stewart/Stuart (James or Robert) being an ambassador to Turin. It's very confusing. I'm reading mostly texts from archive.org or from Google Books.

It looks like the common story is that Robert or James Stuart, the ambassador, obtained lands but never got to them. His grandson, William (brigadier-general) wanted what was owed to his family. But there's nothing really there about it except from the Gracehill website and the handwritten note by Charles George Stuart.
Whiting (Bedfordshire)
Pearson (Worcestershire)
Gough (Warwickshire)
Jennings (Devon)

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: Sunday 01 September 19 14:33 BST (UK) »

So where is 'Turin' Steward buried? Did he leave a Will?

Offline Benody1921

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: Sunday 01 September 19 14:38 BST (UK) »
If he was the ambassador during the reign of James VI/I then that would have been sometime between 1567 and 1625. There doesn't seem to be any record of ambassadors from Scotland or Great Britain or none that I have found anyways. I haven't found a Will but that doesn't mean there isn't one. I don't think there would be a burial for him since he was lost at sea.

I do remember reading somewhere about a Stuart who was in Spain. I'll have to try to find the source again.
Whiting (Bedfordshire)
Pearson (Worcestershire)
Gough (Warwickshire)
Jennings (Devon)

Offline Benody1921

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: Sunday 01 September 19 14:47 BST (UK) »
Here it is:
https://books.google.ca/books?id=cbFfAAAAcAAJ&pg=PA294&lpg=PA294&dq=rev+irwin+stuart&source=bl&ots=F8s9Wr1gCz&sig=ACfU3U0B5s1OqE7odCj8npJJ-lhuSda2gg&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiFnN-Vv5LkAhXmYN8KHad2AFYQ6AEwBXoECAgQAQ#v=onepage&q=rev%20irwin%20stuart&f=false

In reference to Brigadier Stuart:
"He was descended from the Stuarts from Blackhall in Scotland, one of whom, a member of the Church of Rome, settled in Ballylusk, in the county of Antrim: he and his family being implicated in the troubles of 1641, forfeited their Irish estates and fled back to Scotland. Joining the Spanish service, he was killed in 1688 at Dunkirk, by the side of his royal master and relative, James, Duke of York, afterwards James II. He left a family in Spain....."

It goes on but I can't quite make out who they are talking about. It says something about the younger brother of the one who forfeited his Irish lands decided to join the opposite side of his brother and had a nice career with William III. I wonder if that's the William Stuart mentioned who was only left a shilling from his uncle.
Whiting (Bedfordshire)
Pearson (Worcestershire)
Gough (Warwickshire)
Jennings (Devon)

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: Sunday 01 September 19 15:23 BST (UK) »
William never received reimbursement and the effect of this was that he became greatly impoverished causing him to lose most of his estate. His son James served with his father reaching the rank of Colonel; although severely wounded in battle, James still went on to father 21 children with his wife Jane Irwin from Roscommon.

William never received reimbursement and the effect of this was that he became greatly impoverished causing him to lose most of his estate. His son James served with his father reaching the rank of Colonel; although severely wounded in battle, James still went on to father 21 children with his wife Jane Irwin from Roscommon.

Although the land in County Antrim stayed in the Stuart family it would be some time before Gracehill House as we know it would come into existence. It is through one of James’s children, Irwin Stuart that the story of Gracehill really starts to take shape. Irwin changed the focus of his battle to the souls of men, by taking holy orders and becoming the vicar of Ballywillan and Ballyrashane and later, Derrykeighan. He married Elizabeth McDaniel and had six children – Christopher, James, Charles, Archibald, Elizabeth and Henry. It is not until we read of Irwin’s son James that we hear of Gracehill House being mentioned for the first time.

It is believed that James undertook the construction of the house around 1775 and named it after his wife Grace (Lynd).

??  Can't make sense of who Grace is!!