Author Topic: James Stuart CB of Gracehill  (Read 20861 times)

Offline Fritz10

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James Stuart CB of Gracehill
« Reply #45 on: Tuesday 23 July 19 22:56 BST (UK) »
Charles George Stuart of Ballyhivistock was a first cousin of Major General James Stuart.

Rev Irwin Stuart and his wife Elizabeth (nee McDaniel) had two daughters: Elizabeth (born 1737 married Rev. Hugh McClelland), Jane (born 1739, married Richard Young) and five sons: James Stuart Esq (1743 - 1824 married Grace Lynd), Charles McDaniel, (December 1744 – 1826, married Sarah Dunlop), Archibald (b 1746, married Jane Henry), Henry (b 1748) and Christopher (b 1750).

The oldest son, James (Born 1743, died 1824), built Gracehill and was the father of two daughters, Elizabeth and Grace, who died in early childhood. May have been the first two children. Plus seven other children as follows:
•   Frances. Died 1845 ‘at an advanced age’ in 1845. ‘She was a most excellent woman, of great sound sense and sterling worth’.
•   Margaret. B 1781 or 1783; known as ‘Cross Peggy’. Died unmarried at the residence of her niece, Sophia Irwin, at Dundalk, 11 Feb 1870, aged 89. A very fine-looking, handsome woman.
•   Sophia. M 14 Sept 1812, Thomas Ledlie Esquire of Antrim. MD in the H.E.I.C.S. He was Assistant Surgeon, Bengal, 15 July 1792; Surgeon 1806 and retired 1812. Two daughters: Sophia, died young, and Grace Frances who married Basil George Brooke, of Moyaver, near Armoy, Co. Antrim. He was a grandnephew of the Earl of Macartney and descended from the Brookes of Donegal. Died at Castleblayney, leaving several sons and daughters.
•   Caroline, m August 1812, James Irwin of Wellbrook, Co Tyrone.
•   Henry Irwin. Born ca 1776. died unmarried 2 Feb 1836 in his 60th year. Captain of the Irish Artillery, then of the Antrim Militia and Treasurer of the County of Antrim. Died unmarried at Gracehill, 2 Feb 1836. Aged 60.
•   William. Captain in the Royal Artillery and died in early life in the West Indies in 1809. Unmarried.
•   James. (Major General James Stuart, C.B.) A.M. of Trinity College, Dublin and had studied for the Bar. Then joined a Native Infantry Regiment in India, where he served with distinction, having held for many years the honourable office of Military Secretary to the governor General and Government of India. Forced to resign this in consequence of failing health and his promotion to General Officer.
For his valuable services in the war appointed a Companion of the Most Honourable Order of the Bath.

His younger brother, Charles McDaniel Stuart, and his wife Sarah had six children, including Charles George Stuart:
1.   Samuel, born 11 August 1786
2.   Alexander, born 7 October 1788, died 20 May 1789 [6 months]
3.   Jane, born 26 March 1790, died 19 Feb 1794 [four years]
4.   Eliza, born 10 Jan 1792
5.   Charles George, born 19 April 1793
6.   James, born 10 July 1794

I hope this helps!

Offline Benody1921

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Wednesday 24 July 19 16:50 BST (UK) »
I am a great-granddaughter of Elizabeth Francis Stewart-Moore, nee Stuart, so that line is my main interest.

I guess that makes you a distant cousin of both myself and Benody then.  I’d like to pick your brains about what you know of the Stewart-Moores if I get the chance…

Benody, where/when can I find the marriage notice for Henry Benson Stuart?  Also, where are you ordering the wills from?

Was Charles George Stuart of Ballyhivistock (1793-1873) a brother of Major General James Stuart (c1784-1859)?

Now I'm starting to doubt myself. I'm sure I saw it in a newspaper article that Henry Benson Stuart was the eldest son of James Stuart CB. I would have gotten it from Find My Past or British Newspaper Archives. I can't seem to find it now so perhaps I'm mistaken.

I have ordered the Will through probatesearch.service.gove.uk. Hopefully Maria's will come through. She likely left everything to her nieces but it doesn't hurt to get it and see.
Stuart (India, Antrim, Armagh)
Whiting (Bedfordshire)
Dunn/Taylor (Worcestershire)
Pearson (Worcestershire)
Hill/Rhodes (Worcestershire)
Gough (Warwickshire)
Perry (Devon, Worcestershire)
Maynard (Essex, Yorkshire)
Jennings (Devon)
Coldicott (Warwickshire, Gloucestershire)

Offline Benody1921

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Wednesday 24 July 19 16:52 BST (UK) »
Charles George Stuart of Ballyhivistock was a first cousin of Major General James Stuart.

Rev Irwin Stuart and his wife Elizabeth (nee McDaniel) had two daughters: Elizabeth (born 1737 married Rev. Hugh McClelland), Jane (born 1739, married Richard Young) and five sons: James Stuart Esq (1743 - 1824 married Grace Lynd), Charles McDaniel, (December 1744 – 1826, married Sarah Dunlop), Archibald (b 1746, married Jane Henry), Henry (b 1748) and Christopher (b 1750).

The oldest son, James (Born 1743, died 1824), built Gracehill and was the father of two daughters, Elizabeth and Grace, who died in early childhood. May have been the first two children. Plus seven other children as follows:
•   Frances. Died 1845 ‘at an advanced age’ in 1845. ‘She was a most excellent woman, of great sound sense and sterling worth’.
•   Margaret. B 1781 or 1783; known as ‘Cross Peggy’. Died unmarried at the residence of her niece, Sophia Irwin, at Dundalk, 11 Feb 1870, aged 89. A very fine-looking, handsome woman.
•   Sophia. M 14 Sept 1812, Thomas Ledlie Esquire of Antrim. MD in the H.E.I.C.S. He was Assistant Surgeon, Bengal, 15 July 1792; Surgeon 1806 and retired 1812. Two daughters: Sophia, died young, and Grace Frances who married Basil George Brooke, of Moyaver, near Armoy, Co. Antrim. He was a grandnephew of the Earl of Macartney and descended from the Brookes of Donegal. Died at Castleblayney, leaving several sons and daughters.
•   Caroline, m August 1812, James Irwin of Wellbrook, Co Tyrone.
•   Henry Irwin. Born ca 1776. died unmarried 2 Feb 1836 in his 60th year. Captain of the Irish Artillery, then of the Antrim Militia and Treasurer of the County of Antrim. Died unmarried at Gracehill, 2 Feb 1836. Aged 60.
•   William. Captain in the Royal Artillery and died in early life in the West Indies in 1809. Unmarried.
•   James. (Major General James Stuart, C.B.) A.M. of Trinity College, Dublin and had studied for the Bar. Then joined a Native Infantry Regiment in India, where he served with distinction, having held for many years the honourable office of Military Secretary to the governor General and Government of India. Forced to resign this in consequence of failing health and his promotion to General Officer.
For his valuable services in the war appointed a Companion of the Most Honourable Order of the Bath.

His younger brother, Charles McDaniel Stuart, and his wife Sarah had six children, including Charles George Stuart:
1.   Samuel, born 11 August 1786
2.   Alexander, born 7 October 1788, died 20 May 1789 [6 months]
3.   Jane, born 26 March 1790, died 19 Feb 1794 [four years]
4.   Eliza, born 10 Jan 1792
5.   Charles George, born 19 April 1793
6.   James, born 10 July 1794

I hope this helps!

Well this was most helpful! I'm so excited to learn all of this information. I especially like the parts that tell about their character or looks. Where did you learn all of this?

I'm wondering more and more about the rumoured affair that James Stuart had with someone else's wife. The newspaper articles I've read about him all say that he had the best morals and never swayed on them. That doesn't really line up with him having an affair with his friend's wife. Or perhaps he repented of his ways after he had his children.
Whiting (Bedfordshire)
Pearson (Worcestershire)
Gough (Warwickshire)
Jennings (Devon)

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Wednesday 24 July 19 21:26 BST (UK) »
Now I'm starting to doubt myself. I'm sure I saw it in a newspaper article that Henry Benson Stuart was the eldest son of James Stuart CB. I would have gotten it from Find My Past or British Newspaper Archives. I can't seem to find it now so perhaps I'm mistaken.

I have ordered the Will through probatesearch.service.gove.uk. Hopefully Maria's will come through. She likely left everything to her nieces but it doesn't hurt to get it and see.

Benody,

What were the dates of Henry Benson Stuart’s two marriages?  I’ll have a hunt too.

Does that probatesearch thing only apply to those proved in England?

Gilby

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Wednesday 24 July 19 21:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Fritz,

That does indeed help a great deal!

I’d also be interested to know what the main source(s) is/are?

Thanks,
Gilby

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Wednesday 24 July 19 21:40 BST (UK) »
I came across this in PRONI T559/36 as a footnote attached to Jane Stewart of Ballylough (sister of the Rev. Archibald Stewart of Ballintoy) – her will was written in 1760, she died in 1766, and her will was proved in 1769…

Charlotte Stewart wife of Will. Smith Gen. cousin to Jane Stewart
Rev. Richard Dobbs of Lisburn D.D. near kinsman to ditto

Rev. Charles McDaniel Stewart brother-in-law to J.S.
James McDonald Esq. M.D. nephew to ditto

Charlotte Smith née Stewart and the Rev. Richard Dobbs are both mentioned in Jane Stewart’s will.  The other two names may refer to a later generation – I’ve been struggling to figure out the connection…?

I was thinking James McDonald was probably Dr. James McDonnell of Belfast (1763-1845) whose mother was a Stewart of the Ballintoy family.

EDIT:  I just came across this post which talks about the Stuart/Stewart-McDaniel-MacDonnell connection ... but it has left me even more confused!

https://lists.rootsweb.com/hyperkitty/list/stewart@rootsweb.com/thread/10193385/

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Sunday 28 July 19 17:12 BST (UK) »
Rev. Charles McDaniel Stewart brother-in-law to J.S.
James McDonald Esq. M.D. nephew to ditto

I'm coming to the conclusion that in this bit of the footnote the "J.S." may refer to John Stewart of Ballintoy (husband of Jane Moore and ancestor of the Stewart-Moore family).

His will (1791) does indeed mention his brother-in-law Rev. Charles McDaniel Stewart and his nephew James McDonald.

Offline Benody1921

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Tuesday 30 July 19 13:26 BST (UK) »
I've received Maria Stuart's (Duffin) Will. Here is a transcription of it:

This is the last Will and Testament of me, Maria Stuart. I do hereby  will and bequeath to my niece Ellen Jameson whatever money I may have invested in Bank of Ireland Stock Government or other securities on special trust, that she may first pay out of said money all demands to which I am legally liable. Then to pay half yearly as it becomes due the interest of any residue of said money to my sister Jane Duffin. On the decease of my sister Jane Duffin then the said interest to be paid half yearly to my niece Catherine Baker, during her life and on her decease I will that the principal of said residue money to be divided between Catherine Baker's three daughters, Eleanor, Isabella, and Frances or the survivors or survivor of them share and share alike I will and bequeath to my niece Ellen Jameson all my books prints drawing room ornaments all my personal effects except my watch chain and seals and wearing apparel which I bequeath to my niece Catherine Baker, I bequeath my house linens to my nieces Catherine Baker and Ellen Jameson to be divided between them share and share alike. I bequeath the portrait of my late uncle William Duffin to my nephew Thomas Oxley I wish whatever artciles of household furniture  and plate I possess my be sold that the proceeds may help to defray(?) any expenses incurred at the time of my death.
Whiting (Bedfordshire)
Pearson (Worcestershire)
Gough (Warwickshire)
Jennings (Devon)

Offline Fritz10

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Tuesday 30 July 19 22:28 BST (UK) »
Well done on locating the will!
Interesting, but not promising re Maria being the mother of James Stuart's illegitimate children. Not even the smallest hint!
I suspect that we should be looking elsewhere, but there don't seem to be any clues.