Author Topic: James Stuart CB of Gracehill  (Read 20823 times)

Offline pablo1

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James Stuart CB of Gracehill
« Reply #72 on: Monday 26 August 19 03:01 BST (UK) »
For information on the Stewarts of Ardvorlich, I recommend the following website:

https://sites.rootsweb.com/~rykbrown/stewart_of_ardvorlich.htm

Offline pablo1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: Wednesday 28 August 19 00:19 BST (UK) »
This is from the book Ontarian Families:  Genealogies of United Empire Loyalists and other Pioneer Families of Upper Canada by Edward Marion Chadwick.  I hope my generational numbering is correct.  Please check on line at archive.org to see if it has a digitalized copy of the book.

Stuart, of Toronto

1.  Brig. Gen. William Stuart m. Mary Moore, dau of Viscount Moore.  Viscount Moore was
     the ancestor of the Marquess of Drogheda.

2.  Col. James or Alexander, son;  he m.  Jane Irwin of Leibeg, Co. Roscommon and had issue 21
     children, two of whom were

3.  Elizabeth Stuart m. Charles McDaniel (or McDonnell) of Ballylough and Bellisle

3.  Rev.  Irwin Stuart, Vicar of Ballywillan, Ballyrashane and Derrykeighan;  he married Elizabeth
     McDaniel or McDonnell, sister of the above mentioned Charles.  The Rev. Stuart had the
     following issue:

4.  James Stuart of Gracehill m. Grace Lynd

4.  Rev.  Charles McDaniel Stuart, died 1820, aged 81; Vicar of Culfeightrin and Rector of Dunluce;
     m.  Sarah Dunlop, dau of George Dunlop of Ballycastle and had issue,

5.  Lt.  Samuel Stuart, 59th Regt.

5.  General James Stuart m. Eliza Chambers, dau of John Chambers with issue.

5.  Eliza Stuart, died 1867, aged 74, unmarried.

5.  Capt. Charles George Stuart of Ballyhivistock, (1794 - 1871);  m. 1840 Mary Christina Creery,
     dau of  the Rev. Leslie Creery, Archdeacon of Connor and had issue,

6.  Charles McDaniel Stuart of Ballyhivistock

6.  Capt. Leslie Creery Stuart, R.N. m. Georgina Elsie Millman

6.  James Stuart m. 1  Jane Stewart-Moore; m. 2 Mia Salisbury

6.  Henry Irwin Stuart, twin with James above.

6.  Alexander Barklie Stuart

6.  William Wallace Stuart

6.  George Ernest Stuart

6.  Isabella Stuart

6.  Elizabeth Frances Jane Stuart m. James Stewart-Moore

6.  William Stuart, b. 1858;  emigrated to Canada in 1882;  civil engineer; m. Jan. 17, 1884 to
     Barbara Frances Harvey, dau of Lt. Col. Gardiner Harvey and had issue,

7.  Charles Gage Stuart b. 1887

7.  Leslie Ion (Ian?) Stuart, b. 1888

7.  William Bruce Stuart, b. 1893

7.  Amy Isabel Stuart

7.  Elsie Marjorie Stuart

4.  Archibald Stuart, brother of Rev. Charles McDaniel Stuart, m. Jane Henry of Clover Hill,
     with issue.

4.  Col. Christopher Stuart ; emigrated to America;  officer in the American Revolutionary Army

4.  Dr.  Henry Stuart, M.D.;  emigrated to American and served as a surgeon in the army

Offline andid

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Wednesday 28 August 19 20:04 BST (UK) »
Has anyone heard of or have any information on a Mary Jane Stuart?  She married my gt. grandfather, William Bell Carson(about 1857-after 1911) in 1885 in Armoy, county Antrim.. She lists a William Stuart as her father, Ballybregagh as her residence at the time, and was listed as of "full" age so birth was maybe 1855-1865.. They migrated to McDonald, Pennsylvania, USA and had a daughter, Lizzie in 1886.  At some point Mary Jane became ill and died, either in Pa. or perhaps on a ship as William and Lizzie returned to Northern Ireland. William Bell Carson later met my gt. grandmother, Mary Jane McMullan and wed in 1896. Included is William Carson's and Mary Jane Stuart's marriage record.

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1885/10855/5963568.pdf

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: Saturday 31 August 19 15:23 BST (UK) »
I came across this in PRONI T559/36 as a footnote attached to Jane Stewart of Ballylough (sister of the Rev. Archibald Stewart of Ballintoy) – her will was written in 1760, she died in 1766, and her will was proved in 1769…

Do you have her other brother Alex who married Anne Stewart of Jamaica, dau of John  ?

Died 1739  and his Will was proven 1742

Yes, thanks - Alexander and Anne Stewart were the grandparents of Jane Stewart who married Francis Dobbs.  Thanks for posting the deed which mentions their marriage:

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSJW-F96C-C?i=366&cat=185720

Unfortunately the ROD on familysearch isn’t working for me at the moment so I’ll have to check back later. 

Jane’s father Alexander Stewart inherited the Acton estate from his paternal grandmother Sarah Poyntz, daughter of Sir Toby Poyntz.  As far as I can make out this Stewart line goes back to Ninian Stewart who came over to Ballintoy from the Isle of Bute in about 1600.

As I understand it the Stewarts of Ballintoy were not supposed to be the same family as the Stuarts of Gracehill (I may have got that somewhere from this thread…).  The Rev. George Hill’s history of the Stewarts is very useful, but don’t take it as gospel – I’ve viewed a few original wills at PRONI and sometimes the details don’t quite tie up.

Offline Benody1921

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: Saturday 31 August 19 15:32 BST (UK) »
I read on Google Books a bit of Ireland Preserved; or the Siege of Londonderry, starting on page 292. It says at the end that the Gracehill family is not related to any other Stuarts in Ireland. Eventually that would have to be untrue though as the Stuarts of Gracehill would have eventually had descendants and moved around.
Stuart (India, Antrim, Armagh)
Whiting (Bedfordshire)
Dunn/Taylor (Worcestershire)
Pearson (Worcestershire)
Hill/Rhodes (Worcestershire)
Gough (Warwickshire)
Perry (Devon, Worcestershire)
Maynard (Essex, Yorkshire)
Jennings (Devon)
Coldicott (Warwickshire, Gloucestershire)

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: Saturday 31 August 19 15:44 BST (UK) »
Aha, thanks.  Yes, I take that to mean that the Stuarts of Gracehill came over independently of other Stuart/Stewarts.  Probably they are part of the same massive tree descended from the High Stewards of Scotland, and certainly they were connected sideways to the Stewarts of Ballintoy.

Offline Benody1921

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: Saturday 31 August 19 15:51 BST (UK) »
It's been really difficult to find good sources for this but apparently James I gave land to his cousin who was an ambassador in Turin. This Stewart was on his way to Ireland from Turin when his ship went down. Later, his grandson or descendant of some sort, who is supposed to be Brigadier-general William Stuart, decided to take that land back.

It's been very confusing trying to figure it all out since so many people have different information.
Stuart (India, Antrim, Armagh)
Whiting (Bedfordshire)
Dunn/Taylor (Worcestershire)
Pearson (Worcestershire)
Hill/Rhodes (Worcestershire)
Gough (Warwickshire)
Perry (Devon, Worcestershire)
Maynard (Essex, Yorkshire)
Jennings (Devon)
Coldicott (Warwickshire, Gloucestershire)

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: Saturday 31 August 19 23:35 BST (UK) »
I came across this in PRONI T559/36 as a footnote attached to Jane Stewart of Ballylough (sister of the Rev. Archibald Stewart of Ballintoy) – her will was written in 1760, she died in 1766, and her will was proved in 1769…

Do you have her other brother Alex who married Anne Stewart of Jamaica, dau of John  ?

Died 1739  and his Will was proven 1742

Yes, thanks - Alexander and Anne Stewart were the grandparents of Jane Stewart who married Francis Dobbs.  Thanks for posting the deed which mentions their marriage:

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSJW-F96C-C?i=366&cat=185720

Unfortunately the ROD on familysearch isn’t working for me at the moment so I’ll have to check back later. 

Jane’s father Alexander Stewart inherited the Acton estate from his paternal grandmother Sarah Poyntz, daughter of Sir Toby Poyntz.  As far as I can make out this Stewart line goes back to Ninian Stewart who came over to Ballintoy from the Isle of Bute in about 1600.

As I understand it the Stewarts of Ballintoy were not supposed to be the same family as the Stuarts of Gracehill (I may have got that somewhere from this thread…).  The Rev. George Hill’s history of the Stewarts is very useful, but don’t take it as gospel – I’ve viewed a few original wills at PRONI and sometimes the details don’t quite tie up.

Ninian
:  Denization was 18 Jan  1611,,,, https://archive.org/details/lettersofdenizat01shaw/page/320

.son of James S of Bute.

Siblings:  David
              Jane (married Alex Magee)
              Christiann (married Brice Dunlop)

Children:
1 Arch (married Martha Dobbin) children a dau married George Vesey, Hollymount, a dau married             Richard DOBBS, Rev Archibald S md dau of John Vesey, Jane S,  and Alex S that married Jamaica Ann S

2  Ninian (married Jane McCullogh)  12 children

3  Catherine (married John Steward of Red Bay)

Alex S that married Jamaica Ann S had

Alec, md Cathann Hill  children Jane, Sophia
Ann, md Conway Richard Dobbs, children Alex, Richard, Randall
Rose md Edward Brice,  son Ed

Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: Saturday 31 August 19 23:37 BST (UK) »
I read on Google Books a bit of Ireland Preserved; or the Siege of Londonderry, starting on page 292. It says at the end that the Gracehill family is not related to any other Stuarts in Ireland. Eventually that would have to be untrue though as the Stuarts of Gracehill would have eventually had descendants and moved around.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSJW-FSVY?i=242&cat=185720

With the Deed of 1852 mentioning an earlier deed of 1847  does the earlier Deed give a relationship between James in Londonderry and George?

Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.