Author Topic: Ross's of Avoch  (Read 2350 times)

Offline RossiJ

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ross's of Avoch
« on: Thursday 30 May 19 05:11 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find out the family of Duncan Ross and Alice Ford married in Avoch, Ross and Cromarty
1822 circa   Duncan ROSS born Scotland son of Duncan ROSS (farmer).
1852 May 22 Marriage bans recorded for Duncan ROSS and Alice FORD of Avoch.

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Ross's of Avoch
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 30 May 19 09:37 BST (UK) »
Hello and welcome to Rootshcat. Have you tried looking for them on https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/. This is the best site for Scottish research.
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 30 May 19 17:27 BST (UK) »
Hmmm.

I can see an Alice Ford, aged 28, unmarried, born Edderton, in Urquhart, Ross and Cromarty, in the 1851 census, in the household of her elder brother Mark, farm manager, aged 39. This looks like your Alice, because her marriage to Duncan Ross was recorded in both Avoch and Urquhart.

If a couple lived in two different parishes, the banns had to be called in both, and this often generates two records of the same marriage. In this case we can see that Alice was living in Urquhart, so it is likely that Duncan lived in Avoch. The original records, available at Scotland's People www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk, will make this clear.

In 1861, 1871 and 1881 Mark was an innkeeper in Dingwall, born Nigg, Ross and Cromarty.  He died in 1886 in Dingwall, and his death certificate, also available to view at Scotland's People, should tell you the names of his parents including his mother's maiden surname (and therefore the names of Alice's parents).

There is a baptism of Mark Ford in Nigg, Ross and Cromarty, in 1807, son of John Ford and Alleson Holliston who may be the one. There are baptisms of various siblings, not including Alice, with mother's name spelled in a weird and wonderful variety of different ways.

However I am not seeing any children to Duncan Ross and Alice Ford, and I can't see a death of Alice Ford or Ross in Scotland, or any record of them in the census. Did they emigrate, and if so where to and when?

Where did you get the information that Duncan's father was also Duncan Ross, and that he was born in 1822?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline RossiJ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 31 May 19 00:29 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your quick response. Duncan and Alice (my great great grandparents) came to Australia shortly after their marriage. I found the information about their marriage and Duncan's fathers name on Scotland's People (I think I would need to check back). They had 3 children in Victoria. I am hoping to find their parents.  I am new to RootsChat, so just wanted to see if I could engage someone who might have similar family links, I live in NZ. Ross

Offline RossiJ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 31 May 19 01:26 BST (UK) »
I have found both Duncan Ross and Alice Ford's death certificates in Australia and Alice's mothers was Alice McKay, her father and brother seem to be both John Ford, John Ford senior was born in Tarbat by Fearn.  This is where Duncan's Ross's father is named, also Duncan Ross, thanks again

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 31 May 19 02:54 BST (UK) »
Quite often there's clues to parents names in the naming of their children (Scottish naming pattern).

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline RossiJ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 31 May 19 03:19 BST (UK) »
Thanks Annie, its even continued to this day in my Family

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Ross of Avoch
« Reply #7 on: Friday 31 May 19 10:17 BST (UK) »
Duncan and Alice (my great great grandparents) came to Australia shortly after their marriage.
Ah. No wonder there's nothing about them in Scotland

I have found both Duncan Ross and Alice Ford's death certificates in Australia and Alice's mother's was Alice McKay, her father and brother seem to be both John Ford, John Ford senior was born in Tarbat by Fearn.  This is where Duncan Ross' father is named, also Duncan Ross, thanks again
. So if Alice is the one listed as sister of Mark Ford, she can only be a half-sister.

There seems to be no surviving record of John Ford and Alice M(a)ckay, neither a marriage nor the baptisms of any children. Though there is a baptism of a John in 1813, son of John Ford and Alice Ford, which could be an error for Alice M(a)ckay. Or for Alice Holliston, of course.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.