Author Topic: 1861 Census Ref for Snowdon street Penygroes Llanllyfni  (Read 1757 times)

Offline Sam Swift

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1861 Census Ref for Snowdon street Penygroes Llanllyfni
« on: Thursday 30 May 19 14:34 BST (UK) »
Can anyone help me locate any of the streets below on the 1861 census. The streets are there in 1851 and 1871 but I have so far been unable to find them on the 1861 census. The streets are all in Penygroes Llanllyfni:

Snowdon Street
Baptist Street
Chapel Street

I checked the list of missing 1861 census schedules and they are not on it.

Thanks

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: 1861 Census Ref for Snowdon street Penygroes Llanllyfni
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 30 May 19 15:55 BST (UK) »
Penygroes appears to have been enumerated as 'Penygroes' with no street names mentioned starting at RG9/4336 f58 p7

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 30 May 19 16:01 BST (UK) »

I'm looking at same piece, using Llanllyfni as a place-name.

Also a bit under 4337.

The streets look to be named in Welsh, so You'll need to provide a translation
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline Sam Swift

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 30 May 19 19:26 BST (UK) »
Thanks both.
I've looked again for the 3rd time through those pieces you listed to no avail. I re-checked the censuses in 1851 & 1871 and the Snowden street (which on modern day maps is in Penygroes) is acctually in the Llanbeblig enumeration district. However the usual sites list missing pieces, but the piece concerend is not mentioned as being one of them.

I came across two enumerator descriptions mentioning the fact that the ditstrict in question went as far as the corner of the streets I seeek (Snowdon and Baptist Streets) they are not in any of the districts of Llanbeblig (or anywhere adjacent) as far as I can see. There are only 11 districts in Llanbeblig in 1861, but 18 in 1851 & 1871.

I have several families who were on both the 1851 & 1871 censuses, but however much I've tried to be inventive they are not being picked up for 1861 at all (which is why I thought I'd trawl through the pages myself in case of Welsh transcription issues).

I have found a reference on a forum to the fact that piece 3444 is missing and I bet they're all on that!

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 30 May 19 19:30 BST (UK) »
two things

1. have you gone page by page looking at the household schedule numbers to make sure whatever site you are using haven't themselves missed them off

2. Have you tried looking for them on other sites, as there are differences between the site depending on how vigilant they were when uploading the data
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline Sam Swift

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 30 May 19 20:57 BST (UK) »
Yes I've done both those things more than once on 2 sites in case I'd missed something. i'ev looked through the adjacent parish enumeration districts just in case they were with those too.