Author Topic: Family of John Robertson Paterson/Jessie Stewart Low , married 1903 Blairgowrie.  (Read 1059 times)

Offline vikkioc71

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hi I'm not sure if this is still going on as I've just joined as a friend told me about this site,
hoping maybe we can help each other,
My great grandparents were
JAMES PATERSON occupation: Stone Mason_
B 17 JAN 1851 Forfar FREE CHURCH, Forfar, Angus
M ELIZABETH LANGLANDS  07 Aug 1871 Forfar,Angus,Scotland
D 13 FEB 1933, 136 montrose street, Brechin Burgh, Angus, Scotland
Their son was my  great grandfather:
JOHN ROBERTSON PATERSON occupation: Plasterer
B 30 MAY 1874  Dundee,Angus,Scotland
M wife 1 Mary Thom 1876 - 1902
M wife 2 JESSIE STEWART LOW (married 1903) my line
b 15 JUL 1881  Blairgowrie, Perth, Scotland
D 14 AUG 1948  Perth, Perthshire, Scotland
John Robertson Paterson and Jessie Stewart Low
had maybe 12 children one of whom was grandfather
JOHN ROBERTSON PATERSON
B 1910 Coupar Angus, Perthshire, Scotland, D 1977  Australia
if this is still going on would love to hear from anyone as i'm in Melbourne, Australia

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Paterson and related families of Forfar
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 25 May 19 10:47 BST (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat, Vikki.

I'd like to congratulate you on your clear and detailed post. It is a great pleasure to see a new post containing all the relevant details of names and dates set out in a logical way. Well done :)

In the 1881 census the family were in Southesk Street, Brechin:
James Paterson, head, 30, mason, born Forfar
Elizabeth, wife, 33, born Forfar
David, son, 9, born Forfar
John, son, 6, born Dundee
Christina, daughter, 4, born Forfar
William, son, 2, born Forfar
and two boarders.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline vikkioc71

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 25 May 19 11:31 BST (UK) »
I'm looking for current information
as my grandfather,
John Robertson Paterson born 1910
brother and sisters l have a list of 11
but am missing three that l have heard about.
am l aloud to list them all ?
vikki

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 25 May 19 12:10 BST (UK) »
RootsChat is not for finding living relatives. You can list the ones who are no longer living, but not anyone who is or may be still alive.

In the index at Scotland's People www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk there are 10 people with surname Paterson and mother's maiden surname Low who died after 1974 (when the mother's maiden name began to be listed in the index). Do any of them match the names you have?

For example there is an Elizabeth Langlands Paterson, born Coupar Angus in 1908, died Perth in 1974. In the index to the 1911 census there is a Paterson household in Coupar Angus consisting of John R, 36; Jane, 28, Bella J, 12; Maggie, 7; James, 6; Alexander, 5; Elizabeth, 2; John, 0.

The births index lists in Coupar Angus Margaret Lowe Paterson, born 1903; James, 1904; Alexander, 1906; Elizabeth Langlands, 1908; John Robertson, 1910; Wilhelmina Walker, 1913. If I am right these could be some of your 11 missing siblings. However there is a gap after 1913, so they must have moved away from Coupar Angus.

I see that four of the 10 deaths were in Perth, and that Elizabeth Langlands Paterson was married in Perth in 1927 to John McEwan McDonald. So it is probable that the family did not move far from Coupar Angus. Wilhelmina Walker Paterson married Martin Toole in Perth in 1938 and died in Perth in 1939, aged only 25.

There's a Mary Ann Paterson, mother's surname Low, who died in Perth in 1979 aged 63. This suggests a birth in 1915 or 1916, and there is indeed a birth of a Mary Ann Paterson in 1916 in Cargill, which is only a few miles from Perth. Mary Ann Paterson married John Chalmers Murray in Perth in 1935 and the other surname of Mary Ann Paterson, mother's surname Low, who died in 1979 was Murray.

Other Patersons born in Cargill are George, 1914; Robert Allan, 1918; Jessie Stewart, 1921; David, 1923. If I am right, those plus Mary Ann would be more of your 11 siblings.

To check whether or not I am right, I suggest that you go to Scotland's People www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk, buy some few credits and use some of them to look at the original of the 1911 census. Then at the marriage or death of Wilhelmina to see if she is one of your 11 siblings, and at the marriage of Mary Ann to see if she is also a sibling. You won't be able to look at the post-1974 death certificates online, or the births of Jessie and David, because they are too recent, but you should be able to view all the others.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline vikkioc71

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 25 May 19 12:32 BST (UK) »
Yes, i knew it was just for people who had died, that is why l didn't want to list them,
I have those 11, but have 3 or 4 other names that my mother had heard about, but can't find them on scotland people , the names were Geordie,  Annie (Nan), Alexena and someone that was nickname Duckle all i know was it was a girl.
 Question i had in my records that Jessie Stewart Lowe died in 1948,
thank you for your help

Offline vikkioc71

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 25 May 19 13:06 BST (UK) »
i have a clipping of a newspaper that Jessie Low Paterson died at 33 Gowan 's Tce Perth on August 14, 1948 to John Paterson of Couper Angus, and on Scotland people. Thank you

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 25 May 19 16:24 BST (UK) »
Yes, i knew it was just for people who had died, that is why l didn't want to list them,
I have those 11, but have 3 or 4 other names that my mother had heard about, but can't find them on scotland people , the names were Geordie,  Annie (Nan), Alexena and someone that was nickname Duckle all i know was it was a girl.
Geordie will be George b 1914, who might be the George Paterson, mother's surname Low, who died in Haddington in 1987 aged 72.

There's an Alexina Chisholm Paterson, other surnames Melville and Fraser, mother's maiden surname Low, who died in Perth in 2003 aged 83. Alexina C C A Paterson married William Melville in Perth in 1939. Alexina C C All... Patterson (with a double t) was born in Cargill in 1919. That 1939 marriage certificate would confirm whether or not she is one of the missing siblings.

If I'm right, that's twelve
1. Margaret b 1903
2. James b 1904
3. Alexander b 1906
4. Elizabeth b 1908
5. John b 1910
6. Wilhelmina b 1913
7. George (Geordie) b 1914
8. Mary Ann b 1915 - could she be Ann/Nan/Annie?
9. Robert Allan b 1918
10. Alexina b 1919
11. Jessie b 1921
12. David b 1923

Anybody's guess which of the other daughters is Duckle.

As I said, you need to check the available certificates on SP to see if these are all siblings.

If you order one of the later death certificates (Alexina or David, both of whom died in 2003) and they are indeed siblings, you will get the name and address of whoever registered the deaths, and this may well be a son or daughter who is still living, and you could then contact them direct. They may be able to tell you who Duckle was, and whether Ann/Nan/Annie was indeed Mary Ann.

Offline vikkioc71

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 26 May 19 00:35 BST (UK) »
Thank you for all your help, l will sit down and look at it all today.  :D

Offline vikkioc71

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 26 May 19 02:27 BST (UK) »
I have one more question for you my friend.
Bella Jane Paterson born 21 AUG 1898 • Forfar, Angus, Scotland
                         marriage 3rd june 1922  to James Chapman

DEATH 1977 ?? can't find the death certificate . I have the top two.
thank you