Author Topic: David VASS Invernesshire b.1786  (Read 5571 times)

Offline MsMorrison

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: David VASS Invernesshire b.1786
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 01 June 19 22:52 BST (UK) »
I can’t access the census as I let my Ancestry membership lapse. I know David was a farmer, and I plan to visit the cemetery and church later this month (it’s not terribly far from me), to see if I can find any records with more information.

Thank you so much for what you’ve provided, I have 8 children listed, I’ll see if I can find the others. Now I’m just unsure of Margaret’s last name. The marriage in Nigg definitely makes sense, but her name was Ross.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 01 June 19 23:11 BST (UK) »
"Margaret Isabella Smith (1798 - 1877) had a child (last of 13) in 1853 (aged 55)"
I couldn't find it.
I don't believe it. It must be some sort of confusion - maybe he had a second wife named Margaret Smith who was younger than Isabella Ross.

I can’t access the census as I let my Ancestry membership lapse.
Ancestry don't have original Scottish censuses; they have transcriptions which are famous notorious for errors. The originals are available only at Scotland's People.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline MsMorrison

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 01 June 19 23:16 BST (UK) »
The census I refer to is the Canadian one.

As for the wife...although the Ross could make sense based on date and location, it would have meant the wife was 14, which is possible, but I doubt it (might be being naive, I know). Everywhere I had looked, I found her last name as being Smith, and from Invernessshire. (Moy?) thank you all again for your help.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 02 June 19 07:18 BST (UK) »
@ Annie, anent David Ross & Anabella Ross, Nigg, although the three Seaboard villages are contiguous they are in different parishes. Shandwick is in Nigg parish.

Skoosh.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 02 June 19 08:55 BST (UK) »
The census I refer to is the Canadian one.
The originals of Canadian censuses are available to view free of charge and without a subscription to A******y or any other commercial web site at https://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/census/Pages/census.aspx
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 02 June 19 09:01 BST (UK) »
As for the wife...although the Ross could make sense based on date and location, it would have meant the wife was 14, which is possible, but I doubt it (might be being naive, I know). Everywhere I had looked, I found her last name as being Smith, and from Invernessshire. (Moy?) thank you all again for your help.
Additional evidence for a second marriage, perhaps?

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 02 June 19 13:54 BST (UK) »
There may have been a 2nd marriage but it doesn't take away the fact, on some trees Margaret Isabella Smith was 'supposed' to have had her last child aged 55 yrs!

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/139962206/margaret-vass

Birth 1798 Scotland
Death 12 Jun 1877 (aged 78–79)

Last of 13 children from online trees...

"Betsey Vass
BIRTH 18 MAY 1842  Dundee, Beauharnois, Quebec, Canada"

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 02 June 19 13:58 BST (UK) »
@ Annie, anent David Ross & Anabella Ross, Nigg, although the three Seaboard villages are contiguous they are in different parishes. Shandwick is in Nigg parish.

Skoosh...my post was to draw attention to the coincidental marriage date being exactly the same (with a somewhat rare forename & surname) although I couldn't find the marriage in question i.e. wondering if the info. on the trees on Anc are wrong or where did they find the info?

Annie

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 02 June 19 15:01 BST (UK) »
Annie, there's a very good poem called "Old Sandy Vass's Wife!" by ? Mackenzie but cannae find it!

Skoosh.