Author Topic: JAMES DOWNEY  (Read 1932 times)

Offline timothypickles

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
JAMES DOWNEY
« on: Tuesday 16 August 05 12:14 BST (UK) »
SOMEONE HELP ME PLEASE. I AM UNABLE TO FIND THE BIRTH/BAPTISM FOR JAMES DOWNEY BORN AROUND 1859 A LABOURER HE WAS THE SON OF TIMOTHY DOWNEY AN ENGINE FITTER.

THE 1891 & 1901 CENSUS IN MIDDLESBROUGH, ENGLAND SAY HE WAS BORN IN PONTYPOOL, WALES BUT THERE IS NO SIGN OF HIM.  ALL MY RELATIVES SAY HE WAS IRISH BUT I DON'T KNOW WHEREABOUTS!

I HAVE'NT GOT MUCH TO GO ON EXCEPT HIS FATHERS NAME THAT WAS ON HIS MARRIAGE CERTIFICATE. THEFAMILY WERE DEVOUT CATHOLIC.
Allgood, Stokoe, Harland, Downey, Minehan, King, Watts, Stanton, McCarthy, Sullivan, Murray, Mawston, Murphy, Tyson, Salton, Marshall, Bulmer, Garnet, Bowser, Pemberton, Alderman, Shuckburgh, Addison, Sedman, Duck, Ellis, Hart, Richardson, Coverdale and Green amongst others

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: JAMES DOWNEY
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 02 October 08 03:59 BST (UK) »
Hello  prestongirl,

Establishing James' denomination is a good start. Now we'll have to attempt to find the parish and townland where he was born. 

You'll have to rely on Church records when searching for James as he was born prior to the introduction of Civil Registration in Ireland. This happened in 1864. Marriages of Non Catholic were registered from 1845 onwards.

At the time of Griffith's Valuation in 1858-9 the Downey surname was found in the following parishes ....

Aghanloo, Artrea, Ballyscullion, Boveagh, Cumber Lower, Derryloran, Maghera, Tamlaght, Tamlaght Ocrilly and Templemore.   

Christopher