Author Topic: Birth record  (Read 1640 times)

Offline Brett Cutler

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Birth record
« on: Monday 03 June 19 01:13 BST (UK) »
I am trying to establish the actual birth date of my Great, Great Grandfather, Thomas Cutler, who was Christened at All Saints Church, West Bromwich on 28th January 1821.  Actually, I'd LOVE to get full records of the Birth or Christening so that I may confirm the names of both his Father AND Mother, if that's at all possible.

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Birth record
« Reply #1 on: Monday 03 June 19 02:48 BST (UK) »
Hi, and welcome to Rootschat!

The baptism is transcribed on freereg
Parents John and Hannah Cutler.
Abode Greets Green, occupation 'puddler' - this was an occupation in the iron works in case you haven't come across it before.

Strangely, All Saints doesn't appear to be on findmypast at all. They have a lot of Staffs records. Every church but!
https://www.findmypast.co.uk/articles/staffordshire-parish-records-coverage

It is highly unlikely there will be a 'birth date'. Very few and far between in the registers of baptisms for churches. and there will be no mention of the wife's surname - you are lucky to have got a first name here! This is before 1837 when Civil Registration came in, so the baptism entry will be all there is.
I think had there been any more information in the register, it would have been mentioned on the freereg entry.

You could check on the 'Catalogue' section of familysearch to see if there is a microfilm of All Saints registers.
https://www.familysearch.org/
It may be viewable on-line (all films are supposed to be digitised by 2020 - so not long to go!)
Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 03 June 19 03:06 BST (UK) »
There's also a Hannah christened 14.11.1813, and  Matilda ch 14.3.1819.
There may be others - I didn't check them all.

As the mother is called Hannah, there is a possibility this was their first daughter, and so they may have been married not too long before this. As John, the father's namesake, didn't come along until 1821, this may have been the first son.

I noted there was also a Charles Cutler as a parent within this timeframe - also living at Greets Green.
Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 03 June 19 10:15 BST (UK) »
There is this possible marriage

John Cutler/Hannah Witehouse 24 April 1810 in Handsworth (about 3 miles from West Bromwich)

Emeltom
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline Brett Cutler

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 04 June 19 03:59 BST (UK) »
Thank you, "emeltom".  Yes, I have a copy of Thomas's Marriage Certificate, which states John as being Thomas's father.   Digging further in family records I've come up with Thomas being christened on 28th January 1821, but John's spouse has me tricked.  There are several John and Hannah relationships coming up, but I was hopeful that Church Records for Thomas's Christening would give me the link I was after.  And I did know about the Marriage in 1810, which ties in with my research so far. Regards, Brett