Author Topic: SPENCE family-Brechin/Arbroath  (Read 1661 times)

Offline cammianne

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
SPENCE family-Brechin/Arbroath
« on: Monday 03 June 19 10:47 BST (UK) »
Looking for info on the Spence family.  I show James Spence was born in 1814 in Brechin.  I believe he was married to Isabella Esplin/Esplen, and they had children Margaret, David, George and James.  David was also born in Brechin in 1844.  David had a son George (my great grandfather) who was born in Arbroath in 1876, and he eventually immigrated to the US (my grandfather and one of his brothers were born in Middlesbrough, the other brother born in the US).

Any info on James Spence b. 1814 in Brechin would be appreciated.  I have not confirmed parents, but I believe they may be Peter Spence & Elizabeth Kyd/Kidd.  I also have no death info for James Spence.

On a positive note, we're currently stationed overseas and will be heading to Scotland for my first visit in 2 weeks and plan on spending 3 weeks there!!

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: SPENCE family-Brechin/Arbroath
« Reply #1 on: Monday 03 June 19 11:08 BST (UK) »
www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

SPENCE   JAMES   PETER SPENCE/ELIZABETH KYD    18/02/1816   Brechin

SPENCE   JAMES   ISABEL ESPLINE   03/09/1841   Brechin

Freecen

1841 - Brechin Town – SPENCE all born in county.

Peter   68   A Linen Hand Loom Weaver
Elisabeth   58   
Elisabeth   26   Dress Maker

1841 - Brechin Town - different address.
HENDRY   Anne   60   Flax Yarn Winder   
SPENCE   James   25   Linen Hand Loom Weaver   ANS   
SPENCE   David   20   Linen Hand Loom Weaver   ANS   
SPENCE   Isabel   20   Linen Hand Loom Weaver   ANS   

Colin

Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 03 June 19 11:23 BST (UK) »
Hi and welcome to Rootschat this looks like your family on the 1851 Census Upper Tenements Brechin
Angus
James Spence age 36 born about 1815 Brechin Angus occupation H L Weaver ( linen )
Isabel Spence age 32 born about 1818 Forfar
David Spence age 7 born about 1844 Brechin
George Spence age 5 born about 1846 Brechin
James Spence age 7 months born about 1850

1861 Census this family were at 35 Montrose Street Brechin
James age 46 occupation weaver (linen)
Isabel age 42 ................
David age 17 occupation pupil teacher
George age 15 occupation Linen weaver
1871 still at Montrose Street Brechin
James age 56
Isabella age 52
John Esplin age 81 born abt 1790 Guthrie Forfarshire (fatherin law )

There is a death for a James Spence 1886 Brechin Angus on Scotlands People if you buy some credits you will be able to download the death certificate which will give you the parent's names if known

Rosie

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 03 June 19 11:35 BST (UK) »
Death for Isabella Spence other name Esplin on Scotlands People 1902 Arbroath
www.findagrave.com
Burial for James Spence 2 Feb 1866
Burial for Isabella E Spence 11 November 1902
Brechin Cemetery Angus

Rosie

Offline cammianne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 03 June 19 11:42 BST (UK) »
Thanks, ColC.

Thanks Rosie17!

I downloaded the death certificate and it gave me great info.  Now I have the names of his parents (Thomas and Ann (Handry) Spence, and it was reported by his son, David, and gives me David's address is Arbroath.  During my upcoming vacation we'll be spending a week in Arbroath and I'm hoping to see any still standing residences where the ancestors may have lived.  I've only recently caught on to the Brechin connection, so will have to go there, too!!

Thanks again!!

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 03 June 19 11:42 BST (UK) »
On a positive note, we're currently stationed overseas and will be heading to Scotland for my first visit in 2 weeks and plan on spending 3 weeks there!!
Hope you have a great time here :)

If you are planning to do any research into your family while here, do not go to Brechin or Arbroath immediately.  If you arrive in either Brechin or Arbroath (or anywhere else for that matter) expecting to see the records, you will either be disappointed, or it will take you ten times as long to get what you are looking for, or it will cost six times as much to get it. Start with a day in the Scotland's People Centre in Edinburgh and do your research there. See 'Visiting ScotlandsPeople Centre' at https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/content/our-charges for how to book (a) seat(s).

And whatever you do, don't even think about trying to drive your own or a hire car in Edinburgh city centre. It's difficult to get moving, almost impossible to stop, and if you can find a parking space at all it will cost you an arm and a leg. There is an excellent bus service. Use that to get around the city.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline cammianne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 03 June 19 11:47 BST (UK) »
BTW, does appear I had the wrong parents for James, as according to the death certificate, they are Thomas and Ann, not Peter and Elizabeth.

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 03 June 19 12:16 BST (UK) »
There is a marriage for a Thomas Spence to Ann Hendry 24 February 1809 Brechin Angus

1841 census Ann Hendry age 60 occupation flax yarn winder
James Spence age 25 Linen weaver
David Spence age 20 Linen weaver
Isabel Spence age 20 linen weaver

Enjoy your trip to Scotland

Rosie

Offline cammianne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 03 June 19 17:14 BST (UK) »
Forfarian-Thanks for the info.

First, we are starting our journey in Edinburgh (just a couple days, then ending up back there at the end of our trip).  I will definitely start at Scotland's People Centre first.  Can you give me any pointers as to what info to look for there as opposed to in the local towns?  Or, what info I wouldn't be able to find at Scotland's People Centre that I would only find locally?  Hope that makes sense, LOL.

I actually did already rent a car, LOL.  However, each place we're staying at on our journey has parking, even the two different places in Edinburgh.  I actually plan on just parking the vehicle though and not driving once we're in town.  Since we're traveling around Scotland, and have the kids (even though they're big kids, LOL), driving around is the easiest for us.  We'll be staying in Edinburgh, Arbroath, Aberdeen, Inverness, Port Glasgow, and then back in Edinburgh.  My daughter wants to explore some castles, my husband will want to hit museums (he's a teacher, LOL), and my son will want to eat his way through the country.

I love pointers, so keep 'em coming!!