Author Topic: ORIGIN OF SURNAME  (Read 6026 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: ORIGIN OF SURNAME
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 04 June 19 16:43 BST (UK) »
There are both a Walls in Orkney and a Walls in Shetland.

https://www.genuki.org.uk/big/sct/OKI/Walls
https://www.genuki.org.uk/big/sct/SHI/Walls
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline daisynook

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 04 June 19 17:27 BST (UK) »
Thank you again Forfarian and Skoosh.  Not found any leads yet.
McMullen, Gleave, Kelly, Scholes, Mather, Phillips, Lock

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 04 June 19 18:13 BST (UK) »
I have been researching the Walls family and came across a marriage in Scotland, Dundee area I believe and the partners were Walls and McIntasney.  I have searched to find the origins of this name but have only found it in Scotland for the marriage of the couple I'm researching.  Can anyone tell me anything more about the name where it originated?

My initial thought was, you were interested in the surname McIntasney (rare) as opposed to Walls but now I'm confused having read all the posts i.e. can you clarify which name you're interested in as the wording is confusing?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline daisynook

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 04 June 19 18:58 BST (UK) »
Sorry, I did rather go off at a tangent :D  Yes, I'm looking for people called McIntasney.  I'm actually researching a couple called Catherine McIntasney b.1876 in St Clements married to John Walls b.1875 St Andrews.  I have their descendants but am trying to find their parents or siblings.  I have an Alice McIntasney b.1831 St Clements but can find nothing further to connect her to Catherine.

I've found 3 others connected to Bernard McIntasney and wife Catherine their children but again no connection.

Considering McIntasney is an unusual name there doesn't seem to be that many of them!

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 04 June 19 19:08 BST (UK) »
"I'm looking for people called McIntasney.  I'm actually researching a couple called Catherine McIntasney b.1876 in St Clements married to John Walls b.1875 St Andrews.  I have their descendants but am trying to find their parents or siblings.

Considering McIntasney is an unusual name there doesn't seem to be that many of them!"

You need to buy the marriage to find out both sets of parents including mothers maiden names.

The 1881 census will tell you where Catherine was born, can you list their children please in order?

Annie

Edit...There are many possibilities on SP for this family except the surname has a few variants. I suspect a possible Irish connection?

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline daisynook

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 04 June 19 19:13 BST (UK) »
I just have St Clement, Forfar as place of birth.  Their children were James Edward b.1902, Hector b.1907, Nora b.1909, John don't know his date of birth but parents married 1901.  All children born in Lancashire.

Offline daisynook

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 04 June 19 19:16 BST (UK) »
There was also a further child Francis Gerard b.1915 in Ashton, Lancs.  It took me some time tracking him down as he wasn't listed everywhere but finally found he went to United States.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 04 June 19 19:17 BST (UK) »
I just have St Clement, Forfar as place of birth.  Their children were James Edward b.1902, Hector b.1907, Nora b.1909, John don't know his date of birth but parents married 1901.  All children born in Lancashire.

It may be a lot easier if you get her parents names from the marriage as there are numerous possible variants?

Annie

Offline daisynook

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 04 June 19 19:19 BST (UK) »
OK thanks