Author Topic: Bankruptcy of J McPherson & Son  (Read 1212 times)

Offline AsMcP

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Bankruptcy of J McPherson & Son
« on: Wednesday 05 June 19 12:16 BST (UK) »
In December 1872, James McPherson and his son John McPherson, partners in the shipbuilding company James McPherson and Son, of Perth, had their estates sequestered. This was reported in the Edinburgh Gazette of the time. 
The trustee appointed was Alexander Tosh, an Accountant of Dundee, and an examination of these two was to have taken place in the Sheriff Court House, Perth, on 21st December 1872. The creditors were then invited to meet in the Solicitor’s Library, County Buildings, Perth, on 30th December 1872, presumably to discuss the outcome of the earlier meeting.
My question is, is it likely that any records still exist of either of these meetings and where could they be accessed as I would very much like to learn the details of this bankruptcy?
Al

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Bankruptcy of J McPherson & Son
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 05 June 19 12:50 BST (UK) »
My question is, is it likely that any records still exist of either of these meetings and where could they be accessed as I would very much like to learn the details of this bankruptcy?
Very often these proceedings were reported in a local newspaper.

There may also be documents in the National Records of Scotland. I got all the court papers relating to the sequestration of my great-great-great-grandfather there.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline AsMcP

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 12 June 19 20:26 BST (UK) »
Thank you Forfarian for your response and for your suggestion of the National Records of Scotland as a possible source of information. I've had a look at their website and, although they may hold what I'm after, finding it could be quite a challenge.

Al

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 12 June 19 21:37 BST (UK) »
There’s a fairly detailed report on the bankruptcy proceedings in the Perthshire Advertiser of 26th December 1872. Mr McPherson was examined at length and struggled to explain some aspects of the firm’s finances. He didn't seem to have had a clear overview of the firm’s full financial position, didn’t anticipate some debts that became due for payment and wasn’t able to explain certain unusual transactions. He also placed some blame on his predecessor a Mr Geddes who had retired. The examination was adjourned for a couple of days and is presumably concluded in a later edition.
Elwyn

Offline AsMcP

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 15 June 19 10:23 BST (UK) »
Very many thanks for this Elwyn, it is exactly what I was looking for. Would you mind telling me how you gained access to this report?
This insolvency was the cause of my ancestors to leave Scotland, and the detail would be of great family interest.

Al

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 15 June 19 20:53 BST (UK) »
Very many thanks for this Elwyn, it is exactly what I was looking for. Would you mind telling me how you gained access to this report?
This insolvency was the cause of my ancestors to leave Scotland, and the detail would be of great family interest.

Al

British Newspaper Archive, searching under his name alone produced the hit.
Elwyn

Offline AsMcP

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 17 June 19 15:53 BST (UK) »
My thanks yet again Elwyn for your help. I have taken out a subscription and found the report. A bit of poor book-keeping involved it seems, or no book-keeping at all!

Al