Author Topic: South African MIC Records.  (Read 670 times)

Offline king ranger

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
South African MIC Records.
« on: Wednesday 05 June 19 14:37 BST (UK) »
Hi thanks to the kindness of MaxD I was able to get the service records for a South African soldier.Since then I have tried to get for a W H WHEATLEY, 2ND C/WO in the South African Service Corps.But I got reply saying I needed to give his Army Number and date of Birth. Now I know very little about the Forces but thought Officers did  not have a number, and only Rank given on Medal no Number.So not sure how or where I would get his Birth Date ,for all we know he might not even have been born in South Africa. So any help or suggestions would be great. Thanks in advance.

Colin.

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
Re: South African MIC Records.
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 05 June 19 15:19 BST (UK) »
What is "2nd C/WO"?  If WO stands for warrant officer he would have risen through the ranks and should have a service number.

Philip
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline king ranger

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 05 June 19 16:26 BST (UK) »
Hi thanks for reply and for correcting me , they must just not bother to put the number on to the medals then . I don't have a clue how popular the surname Wheatley is in South Africa but would have thought his name, rank and Regiment would have been enough to find him but it appears not. Thanks again.

Colin.

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 05 June 19 17:23 BST (UK) »
Philip hits the spot.  Second Class Warrant Officer was a SA rank that (apparently) existed from 1921, plain WO before that.  Suggest he served on after the war if he served in it.

Almost devoid of ideas.  The SA Service Corps doesn't seem to have a museum but there is a SA Museum of Military History with a contact system.  https://www.ditsong.org.za/?venue=national-museum-of-military-history.  A speculative email asking about Service Corps or old comrades associations records may be worth a shot.

That said, the SA Defence Force has undergone a number of changes as the country changed over the years since colonial days so how much history is retained I don't know.

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline king ranger

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 05 June 19 18:46 BST (UK) »
Thanks once again MaxD, will give them a try and see what they say.I don't know if there is a shortage of Records or if they are being swamped with requests for information, South African WW1 Medals are being snapped up as soon as they are put up for sale. I posted my request on May 1st and that was me getting my reply today. Think I will stick to Canadian Medals they have a great Online Library Archives . But thank you both once again.

Colin.