Author Topic: Daniel Stewart born 1802  (Read 1206 times)

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Daniel Stewart born 1802
« on: Friday 07 June 19 16:22 BST (UK) »
For some years now I have been trying to find the parents of Daniel Stewart, a Sailor, was born in Irvine, Ayrshire, 20 May 1802, as noted on his Seaman’s Ticket in 1845. He married Susanna McAllister 19 June 1828 in Kilbride, Island 0f Arran, Buteshire. It was recorded that they were both of Mause, now Mayish, Brodick.
Their children were born in Troon, Dundonald, this refers to what is now the Harbour area of Irvine. James 1829, Daniel 1832, Ronald 1834, Lilias 1836, William 1839, Elizabeth 1840.

I have all the later information on the family but  I need help in finding Daniels parents.
If Daniel born in 1802 had followed the usual Scottish naming pattern then his father would be James but this pattern did vary on occasions. I think his father was Daniel below, the following notes might explain why.

There were four Daniel Stewart marriages in Ayrshire in the twenty years prior to 1802, one in Ayr (Jean Walker 1790) and two in St Quivox, (Agnes Mun 1791 & Elizabeth Davis 1795). As far as I can see there were no children for any of the above and no clear death records for those names.
 I think it is most likely that Daniel Stewart married Lilias Hamilton, in Stewarton in 1799 and they had a daughter Elizabeth born 21/9/1800 baptism, Irvine 22/9/1800.

The only record for a Daniel Stewart born in Ayrshire between 1750 & 1790 was Sunday 15 September 1771 he was baptised Monday 16 September 1771, at home, Sevenacres, Kilwinning, Ayrshire. Father: John & blank. There were of course a large number of Daniel Stewarts born elsewhere in Scotland and there is also the possibility that the record was lost or did not survive.

Lillias Hamilton was baptised 27 Sep 1770 at Corrigills, Kilbride, Bute. (Arran) Father James. I think something must have happened to Daniel & Lillias and I also think Daniel 1802 may have spent time with his grandfather James Hamilton and/or Lillias’s brother also James who married Lillias McBride.
James, son of Daniel & Susanna was on Arran at time of 1841/1851 censuses and his brother Daniel junior was also there in 1841, both were living with members of the Hamilton family who were related to Lillias.

Sorry this is so long but any observations would be welcome.

Regards Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline Wendy2305

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Daniel Stewart born 1802
« Reply #1 on: Friday 07 June 19 16:46 BST (UK) »
Hi have you located Daniel's death as it should name his parents if he died in Scotland after 1854

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 07 June 19 17:00 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your response Daniel died Irvine 1850, no record on SP i found a record in North Ayrshire Archives. Susanna died Kilwinning 1857 buried Irvine churchyard.

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 10 June 19 07:51 BST (UK) »
It's not impossible for someone born in Kilwinning to say in later documents that they were born in Irvine. Only a short move along the road and they'd be in Irvine and if that is first home they remember. Also for a seaman's ticket Irvine is the nearest port to Kilwinning so may be the reason for that.  Of course all this doesn't rule out that there is just no surviving records.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 10 June 19 10:18 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your reply, I realise both the date and place of birth may not be correct but there is still the absence of any good alternative.

Regards, Colin in Kilwinning.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 10 June 19 13:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Colin

Were Susanna's parents listed on her death reg in 1857?

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 10 June 19 14:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Monica,
Yes both were named and noted as deceased.

Ronald MacAlester was born about 1775 in Kilbride, Island 0f Arran, Buteshire and died before 1857. He married Jannet Hamilton 3 December 1800 in Kilbride, Island 0f Arran, Buteshire.  She was born about 1777 in Kilbride, Island 0f Arran, Buteshire and died before 1857.

Colin