Author Topic: Help with Asherst Wills  (Read 3988 times)

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help with Asherst Wills
« Reply #18 on: Monday 10 June 19 20:46 BST (UK) »
This is the first extract. As HD has indicated, the second extract is quite problematic, and I won’t have time to revisit it until tomorrow night. But none of his sons/daughters or his wife appears to be named anywhere in the will.

=====
This is the last will of Richard Assheherst made and read in the presence of Thomas Taylor, John Swan and Thomas Assheherst on the eighteenth day of the month of May in the fourth year of the reign of King Edward IV of England.* First, the same Richard wills that all his share of a parcel of land called Jordanys should be sold to whoever gives the most, and the money received therefrom be spent for the salvation of his soul and to pay his debts and legacies. Item, he wills that his wife should have his main residence, with all the land surrounding that place, consisting of 8 acres with appurtenances, for 14 years. Item, he wills that each of his daughters will have 10 marks for her marriage-portion, and the other one should be her heir if she dies before it is spent ...

* = 18 May 1464, although I believe the other version of this will was dated 18 May 1463 ?

Offline gloveg

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 11 June 19 06:30 BST (UK) »
Thanks Horselydown and Bookbox for your help so far on this one. Gerelle.

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 11 June 19 22:51 BST (UK) »
Extract 2
... In order to get this money, the lands [called*] Pynlyn[?], Demyshacche[?], Landian[?] & Ferettys[?] should be sold; and if it should happen that [my deleted] his wife should be expecting a daughter, that daughter will have 10 marks, this money to be raised at the discretion of his trustees and executors entirely from the lands that came to him after the death of Thomas Hert, and his heirs should expect proportionate shares to be made at the discretion of his trustees and executors, and each should be heir to the other, as aforesaid; and if [his wife] should be [expecting] a son, that son should be heir to his lands and tenements like the rest of his sons.

* I suspect that vendant[ur] has been written twice instead of vocant[ur], and that these are the names of properties.

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 11 June 19 22:53 BST (UK) »
Extract 3
 ... And he wills that if it should happen that all his sons should die, his daughters should all be his heirs [...] notwithstanding; and if all his sons and daughters should die without any lawful issue of their bodies, he wills that all his lands and tenements be sold; and he then wills, at the discretion of his trustees and executors aforesaid, that Alice Honywode, the daughter of the sister of this Richard, should have 20 marks from the monies thence received. Item, he wills that Henry Assheherst shall have 20 pounds for himself and his heirs. Item, he wills that 10 marks be paid for one year to a priest at the church of Kingsnorth; and the residue should be spent at the discretion of his trustees and executors aforesaid, so that everything is faithfully performed.

Offline gloveg

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 11 June 19 23:42 BST (UK) »
Thank you again Bookbox for all your help with this will. Im very grateful for your assistance and Im sure Matt is too. It really helps with being able to link this family together and add names.

I would like some help at some time with another Asherst will which is also in latin. It is just over a page long, so I will not post it yet while I digest the information I have so far. It is the will of Thomas Ayssherst of Kingsnorth 1473.

Thanks again, Gerelle.

Offline gloveg

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 24 June 19 10:19 BST (UK) »
Could I please ask for some help with the translation of this snippet from the will of John Assheherst of Ashford 1517. I believe John had a step mother named Isabell and wonder if the Isabell mentioned here is the same.Thanks, gloveg.

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 24 June 19 18:33 BST (UK) »
Item I bequeath to Ann Sprott, widow, 3 shillings 4 pence. Item I bequeath to Isabella Gate, who is entering (a suit) for lack of payment for and in all the lands and tenements lying and being in the parishes of Willesborough and Newchurch that were lately hers and which I bought from her, for the heirs and assigns of that Isabella for ever, without any fraud or deception. The residue of all my goods not ...

Offline gloveg

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 24 June 19 23:38 BST (UK) »
Thanks again bookbox for your quick response.

Offline gloveg

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 27 June 19 21:51 BST (UK) »
Again, I would appreciate some help with some translation issues please.
The attached snippets are taken from the will of John Essherst of Ashford 1512 and relate to some bequests he makes in his will.
The first snippet relates to a Thomas Essherst of Ashford (either the younger or the elder I think).
The second snippet is to a John Essherst of Ruckinge, the son of Henry Essherst.
The third and fourth snippets seem to relate to his son and daughter and then his sisters in relation to his principal place at Bevir and other lands.
However, I am not sure of exactly what is being said and would appreciate some clarification of this.
Thanks, gloveg.