Author Topic: John B WARD master of ship Canada 1810 where born married ,died  (Read 10625 times)

Offline RickyJack

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John B WARD master of ship Canada 1810 where born married ,died
« Reply #27 on: Monday 17 June 19 00:58 BST (UK) »
Mary Preston married an Irish convict, Patrick McMAHON in 1813 and they had a son - John James McMahon - about whom nothing is known; possibly he died young - we don't know. Patrick arrived on the "Anne" in 1810. In 1814 he received a conditional pardon - information given was that he was tried at Middlesex 1809, was a native of Limerick, occupation - attorney, age 29. He was about 5'5" tall, fair ruddy complexion, red hair, hazel eyes. Patrick died in a drunken brawl (he didn't fall, he was pushed) in 1816. Mary, who it seems was nothing short of amazing for her time, put in a claim c 1818 for what we would probably now call damages and lost wages, to Patrick's employer - for the small sum (not) of £6,000 - but I've never found evidence that (a) she received any compensation or (b) that she even went through with the case.
Thanks for that information...Im now moving into uncharted waters as another Family member now deceased had done this research on on a reread just now, no extra information on Mary Preston has been researched/sort..Interesting though the baby not given a surname...must be correct though as DNA has connected/matched the different lines...did you notice above she named her child John James McMahon ..Thanks again Rick

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 17 June 19 01:02 BST (UK) »
Re Claim a Convict:
https://www.hawkesbury.net.au/claimaconvict/search.php

Have you sought to contact the researcher who has claimed Mary PRESTON on that website? 
https://www.hawkesbury.net.au/claimaconvict/index.php

Re John B WARD  and where does the B come from ...
The NSW governor was Lachlan Macquarie, he basically had absolute control of the penal settlements.  He kept a diary in longhand, of course.  It has been transcribed.  Here is a live link to the transcription for September 1810.
https://www.mq.edu.au/macquarie-archive/lema/1810/1810sept.html#sept8

September
Saturday 8th. Septr. !
This Evening anchored in the Harbour the Canada Transport Ship Capt. J. B. Ward, wt. 121 Female Convicts from England, from whence she sailed on the 23d. of March last.

N.B. recd. a number of Public & Private Letters by her, and official notification of the Earl of Liverpool's appointment to be Secry. of State for the Colonies in room of Lord Castlereagh resigned!

See also
https://www.mq.edu.au/macquarie-archive/lema/

Re HRA - This is a resource, prepared in the early 1900s -  Historical Records of Australia. It is also available on CD.  The official Historical Records of Australia were published by a committee of the Commonwealth Parliament.  The first series has despatches from the Governors to the Colonial authorities in England.   https://trove.nla.gov.au/work/17995589?selectedversion=NBD2617902

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 17 June 19 01:06 BST (UK) »
Do you have the image of the 1825 marriage?  I will type up a transcription shortly.
 oops,  1828 !  ::)
JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 17 June 19 01:14 BST (UK) »
Do you have the image of the 1825 marriage?  I will type up a transcription shortly.
 oops,  1828 !  ::)
JM
This is my transcription of someone else's transcription.  I have tried to contact them, to no avail.  I particularly wanted to know about the signature for the bride.  Alas, I still do not know if the bride 'signed' or made a mark.  If made a mark, perhaps she was not yet literate.

William Henry PAYTON of the parish of Pitt Town and Mary WEARD of the parish of Pitt Town, married 19 May 1828 with the consent of their families, by Banns.  Rev. M D Meares, St James C of E, Pitt Town.
William Henry PAYTON signed.   
Witness J D WOOD of Pitt Town signed.
Witness John HANNIBUS, made his mark.

JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 17 June 19 01:23 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that information...Im now moving into uncharted waters as another Family member now deceased had done this research on on a reread just now, no extra information on Mary Preston has been researched/sort..Interesting though the baby not given a surname...must be correct though as DNA has connected/matched the different lines...did you notice above she named her child John James McMahon ..Thanks again Rick

Baptisms do not give a baby a surname.  That is not the purpose of a baptism. 

I am amazed that you are placing so much reliance on DNA.

I well recognise that both John and James are among the most popular of Christian names in NSW throughout all of the 19th century so it is not unusual for the lad to have those names.

JM

Offline RickyJack

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 17 June 19 01:44 BST (UK) »
I dont think you have it correct JM..
Had Issue
2/ William Henry Payton born 10 August 1799 Bethnal Green, Middlesex,        London - baptised 18 August 1799 at Bishopgate in London
    d. 1869 ? Pitt town NSW
Married.
 Mary Ward 1828
    b. 1811 Sydney
    d. 1837 Pitt Town NSW.
William Henry Payton married Mary Ward 1828 at Pitt Town NSW. He died as a pauper at the local hospital in 1869 - no-one in his family appears to have

Thankyou for your help, However my original question was anyone know Captain John B Ward Master of the Canada....and what does B stand for cheers Rick

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 17 June 19 01:46 BST (UK) »
I dont think you have it correct JM..
Had Issue
2/ William Henry Payton born 10 August 1799 Bethnal Green, Middlesex,        London - baptised 18 August 1799 at Bishopgate in London
    d. 1869 ? Pitt town NSW
Married.
 Mary Ward 1828
    b. 1811 Sydney
    d. 1837 Pitt Town NSW.
William Henry Payton married Mary Ward 1828 at Pitt Town NSW. He died as a pauper at the local hospital in 1869 - no-one in his family appears to have

Thankyou for your help, However my original question was anyone know Captain John B Ward Master of the Canada....and what does B stand for cheers Rick

From a submitted tree,
William Henry PAYTON married Frances Maria (Mary) WARD/MCMAHON at Pitt Town NSW in 1828.    He was already a father, his son was William Henry born 8 May 1826, Pitt Town.   

From same Submitted tree,  Frances Maria (Mary) WARD/MCMAHON was born 1 February 1811,  (father as Patrick)  Frances Maria (Mary) had THREE children with William Henry PAYTON, including a son born 8 May 1826, at Pitt Town.

William Henry PAYTON born 8 May 1826 died on 4 October 1918 at Forbes NSW.  He was known there as William Henry MCMAHON.     He had married Annie SOWDEN in Wentworth NSW on 19 February 1862. 
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/100370467  Forbes Times 8 Oct 1918 Obit.

I have found nothing to give you any confidence in a connection to John B WARD, captain of the Transport, Canada arriving Sydney (Port Jackson) September 1810.

JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 17 June 19 02:14 BST (UK) »
From the uploaded Image of St John’s C of E, Parramatta parish registers. - marriages
No. 376
Patrick Mcmahon of the parish of St Phillip, Sydney and Mary Preston of Do were married in this church by Banns this fourth Day of Septr in the Year One Thousand eight hundred and thirteen by me, Samuel Marsden. 
This marriage was solemnized between us Patrick McMahon (he signed) Mary Preston (she signed) in the Presence of E Quin (signed) and Sarah Quin (her x mark).

There is nothing on that image to confirm that that Mary arrived per the Canada.  You need to follow the paper trail via the Musters and the 1828 census. 

JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 17 June 19 03:14 BST (UK) »
Mary Preston married an Irish convict, Patrick McMAHON in 1813 and they had a son - John James McMahon - about whom nothing is known; possibly he died young - we don't know. Patrick arrived on the "Anne" in 1810. In 1814 he received a conditional pardon - information given was that he was tried at Middlesex 1809, was a native of Limerick, occupation - attorney, age 29. He was about 5'5" tall, fair ruddy complexion, red hair, hazel eyes. Patrick died in a drunken brawl (he didn't fall, he was pushed) in 1816. Mary, who it seems was nothing short of amazing for her time, put in a claim c 1818 for what we would probably now call damages and lost wages, to Patrick's employer - for the small sum (not) of £6,000 - but I've never found evidence that (a) she received any compensation or (b) that she even went through with the case.

There were at least two chaps named Patrick MCMAHON in NSW in 1816.

Patrick McMAHON who arrived per Tellicherry 15 Feb 1806 … he was born about 1780, and was Irish.  Tried at Dublin County, July 1804, sentenced to Life.  In October 1814 muster he was at Windsor, assigned to Bryan SPALDING and off stores.   His Conditional Pardon dated 1 January 1816.  He was still alive as per the September 1822 Muster … at Windsor, and still alive per the Sept 1825 muster, and still alive as per the 1828 Census.   

1828 census
Patrick McMAHON, aged 42, Roman Catholic, arrived per Tellicherry 1806 under a Life sentence, Conditional Pardon, in the household of Daniel NEIL, in the Cornwallis district.

Patrick McMAHON, who arrived per Anne 26 Feb 1810, tried Middlesex, England 16 Jan 1809.  7 years.  CF 1645, CP 331, 31 Jan 1814.  November 1814 Muster he is a Clerk, at Sydney, with Mr GORE, and is off stores.   I can see him in the Muster of Feb 1811 as Patrick Macmahone,  in Sydney. 

Which one married Mary PRESTON? 

I should mention that I have not yet confirmed but it may be that the 1828 mention of Daniel NEIL could perhaps show that that householder (Daniel NEIL) arrived ... wait for it ... per Canada !  ::) but in 1815  :)

ADD,  one of my lines was in the Cornwallis district in that era.   :D

Further ADD
Re John James
Here is my transcription of the baptism of John James as registered in the St John’s C of E, Parramatta registers.

John James son of Patrick and Mary McMahon was born 26th May 1813 and Christened Septr 4th 1813, registered same day by me Samuel Marsden.     The Anglican Diocese of Sydney has a current partnership with Ancestry and many (but not all) of their parish registers from early NSW have been digitised and are available. 

I note that there is a John McMAHON, born in the colony 1814 in the Newcastle Description Book 1832-33. 

NSW State Archives has kilometres and kilometres of archived material, some of which has been filmed and is on reels and available no charge to the general public at their Kingswood office.  If you are in Sydney perhaps you could consider visiting.  Otherwise, perhaps check to see if you are handy to an ARK KIT ...

https://www.records.nsw.gov.au/archives/collections-and-research/guides-and-indexes/archives-resources-kit-ark

and

https://www.records.nsw.gov.au/archives/collections-and-research/guides-and-indexes/archives-resources-kit-%28ARK%29

Re WARD
There were in the Hawkesbury district several families with the surname WARD in the 'right' era.  If you want look ups for these, please do ask. 

JM