Author Topic: John B WARD master of ship Canada 1810 where born married ,died  (Read 10652 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: John B WARD master of ship Canada 1810 where born married ,died
« Reply #63 on: Tuesday 02 July 19 04:06 BST (UK) »
Want a Job????

No,  I am very happy to help any RChatter,  but I am not seeking to make a financial gain from anyone involved in family history.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Tuesday 02 July 19 04:10 BST (UK) »
I am also advised that you should consider obtaining a fresh copy of an official transcription of the marriage registration of annie SOWDO and William Henry MCMAHON/MACMAHON registered in 1862, in the Wentworth BDM district in NSW.  The Reference number is 1319.   It is very likely that there are elusive blanks on the NSW BDM civil registration, so I am not suggesting you seek to obtain the 'real deal' NSW BDM issued certificate, but that once you have the official transcription, you can then go about finding out from the Church register what information the bridegroom provided about himself and his origins, including his own parents.

Here is a link to a thread that I prepared a number of years ago, I am happy to help you strive to sort out any elusive blanks on that 1862 NSW bdm record 1319/1862.
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,546609.0.html

You may also find that there are many free to search live links available to help your research:
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/australia-resources-offers/   then to
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=369703.0  then to

Transcription Agents   I have found each of these organisations to provide an excellent service.
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,300394.0.html

JM

The official transcription of that 1862 marriage will set you back around $20 on your plastic card. There are three official transcription agents appointed by NSW BDM and in my experience each provides an excellent service.   Once you have that actual document we can work back towards the possible connection to the 1828 marriage.   One step at a time.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline RickyJack

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Tuesday 02 July 19 06:07 BST (UK) »
OK and fair enough...between my reply and your reply a relation has answered an said her father ..
"every genealogist dream"....has a metal box about A4 size and thinks there might be copies of the original certificates, as apparently he was right into his tree   yah...hope so anyway...sadly will have to wait for up to two weeks for her to email me from Sydney
Here's a twist that I didnt know...apparently if a female convict got pregnant on the way over to Australia and had an illegitimate child, they were able to use the Captains name as the father..might help to explain the Ward Surname.....in your experience have you heard of this before
cheers Rick   

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Tuesday 02 July 19 06:18 BST (UK) »
If you were researching all the Baptisms that are found in the parish registers, you would definitely consider if the clerks compiling those lists were noting the mother's ship of arrival and the name of the captain as a way of identifying the mum,  however I have not ever heard it explained in terms something specific only to the illegitimate baptisms lists ...   You need to consider that the baptism of Mary, Feb 1811 does not confirm her mum arrived per the Canada 1810.   There were other lasses in NSW in that era who were known by the name 'Mary Preston' ... there's a great deal of elimination needed before you can have confidence in the details.... And firstly we need to know about the 1862 marriage .... before we can work back to earlier generations...

Here's a twist that I didnt know...apparently if a female convict got pregnant on the way over to Australia and had an illegitimate child, they were able to use the Captains name as the father..might help to explain the Ward Surname.....in your experience have you heard of this before
cheers Rick   

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Tuesday 02 July 19 06:30 BST (UK) »
I don't want to panic you, but have you considered that the chap who died in Forbes in 1918, William Henry McMAHON, was actually born 1826, McMAHON ... perhaps the son of Mary PRESTON who arrived per the Canada 1810....  And that Mary PRESTON had married Patrick MCMAHON and then was widowed and then met a William PAYTON and had his son in 1826, and so the lad was known already as a McMAHON rather than a PAYTON.  :D

JM

Offline RickyJack

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Thursday 04 July 19 02:18 BST (UK) »
Once upon a time I asked the question of this forum about a Captain of the ship Canada.Captain John B Ward potential father of the girl born 1811 Mary Ward.
I  gave this rootschat link to relations and friends to follow ..in the hope of many heads would make light work...

I certainly have rattled the Families cage!!!!
Ive since learned there are many James and John Wards and many Mary Wards and Mary Prestons as below.
also that the Captain apparently was responsible if any female convicts got pregnant on the trip over,so his surname was able to be given as father,so was the ship
I also learned some Family have copies of the original parish records well and truly salted down for safe keeping
these early marriages i.e. prior to 1856 very rarely name the person(s) who gave consent to a marriage
Transcribing are from the registers that are held at the registry of BDM are only copies..the films however, the copies that are available are copied from original registers.
Given the fact that the indexes for NSW BDM were outsourced to a country where English was not the first language of the people doing the transcribing, it is not surprising that errors have crept in.

James Ward c 1770 - 1812.  sentenced to seven years transportation on 12 December 1787
*    arrived on the Surprize 1790   
*    landholder by 1800 in Hawkesbury district
*    the woman was Mary Long (convict)  she lived with Ward from about 1805 and they had three sons - James (1806);  William (1809) Mary {1811] and John (1811)
This Mary married William H Payton

James John Ward 1776-1812 his father William Ward 1744-1815 his father John Ward 1728-1762
married May 19 1828 Mary Preston 1790-1862
daughter Mary Ward b. 1811 married William H Payton

Mary Weard b 1 Feb 1811 d. 27 Nov 1837 Pitt town
married 19 May 1828 William H Payton 1799-1869

James Ward married 1808 Sydney Mary Preston
2 kids William Ward 1809 and Mary Ward 1811 went on to marry W H Payton

Then of coarse there is the grey eyed Mary Ward born 1811 and arrived Sydney 1828

We have of coarse many DNA matches to WARD, which I might add is a very good clue..so I think I will continue to monitor the Ward matches until we get a bulls eye
Sadly the Ward surname is as popular a surname as Smith.....so would just like finish up with a Thankyou very much for all your tips and suggestions.
A Lovely day here today mid winter so to make myself feel even better I shall share a nice little Genealogy Poem
The kin of old

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Thursday 04 July 19 02:27 BST (UK) »
Whoever has told you that NSW BDM index provided online at no charge, was outsourced to another country "Given the fact that the indexes for NSW BDM were outsourced to a country where English was not the first language of the people doing the transcribing, it is not surprising that errors have crept in." is telling you absolute rubbish, however, if you are relying on indexes from say Ancestry or FindMyPast or similar, then you may have some more intimate knowledge than me. 

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Thursday 04 July 19 02:50 BST (UK) »
Re the poem you posted...

I believe it is drawn from http://baldockfaggfamily.org.uk/2016/04/05/their-story/

© April 2016, Steve Baldock

and I wonder about if the copyright holder has provided express permission for it to be posted in the public forum that is RootsChat.

JM  ADD:  R2M sent.

Offline CarolA3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My adopted home
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: Thursday 04 July 19 07:05 BST (UK) »
Given the fact that the indexes for NSW BDM were outsourced to a country where English was not the first language of the people doing the transcribing, it is not surprising that errors have crept in

Given the fact that the exotic foreign land to which you refer was ........ errr ........ AUSTRALIA, you might want to consider comedy as a career choice.

You certainly made me chuckle ;D

Carol
OXFORDSHIRE / BERKSHIRE
Bullock, Cooper, Boler/Bowler, Wright, Robinson, Lee, Prior, Trinder, Newman, Walklin, Louch