Author Topic: Where was William Henry (Harry William) GIBBS in 1871/1881 in Ipswich?  (Read 692 times)

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The grass covers and the rain effaces. Victor Hugo
    • View Profile
Hi, Everyone,
I'm trying to pin down the elusive individual who seems to have had his birth registered under the name William Henry GIBBS in the early part of 1867 in Ipswich.  When he marries Elizabeth WELLINGTON in March q. 1889 he is calling himself Harry GIBBS.  And bizarrely when referenced in connection to the death of his son Thomas, aged 18 in WW1, he is referred to as Harry William and elsewhere as William Henry.
So, I'm having difficulty finding him in both the 1871 and 1881 Censuses for Ipswich.  He is a straightforward find in both the 1901 and 1911 Census with his growing family.  He was first a fish hawker or salesman and then established his own fishmonger's shop at 723, Woodbridge Rd., Ipswich.
Any help with unearthing him as a, presumably, 14 year old and a 4 year old in the 1881 and 1871 Censuses in Ipswich would be much appreciated.  There is another Wiliam GIBBS about at the same time, a fish salesman too, but this individual was married to an Alice...
Many thanks,
Keith

Online cath151

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Where was William Henry (Harry William) GIBBS in 1871/1881 in Ipswich?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 11 June 19 14:42 BST (UK) »
Hi
GRO has his possible birth Ipswich 1867 mmn Norton
Possible marriage 1866 Annie C Norton and William Henry ! Gibbs
There is the following in 1871
Arthur Street, Ipswich
Henry Gibbs  23 Fitter & Turner Foundry
Charlotte A  "  22
Henry         "  4
All born Ipswich
In 1881
Long Lane, Ipswich
Henry Gibbs  34   Engine Turner
Annie            33
Henry            15 Engine Turner
William           11
Emma             7
All born Ipswich
On the Gro Indices there is a William and Emma Gibbs born Ipswich mmn Norton

See what you think, it may not be them. I sympathise with the changing forenames, my family did it all the time!
Cathy
Added...having worked that out  :) there is a tree on Ancestry that appears to have come to the same conclusion.
Sinnock/Sinnicks...Brighton,Greenwich.
Clements,Coles,Mc Donagh,Rock

Census InformationCrown Copyright from www.national archives.gov.uk

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 11 June 19 15:57 BST (UK) »
Cathy,
Thanks so much for taking all that time on my behalf, have just got back from being out.  Will try and digest all this and have a look on Ancestry too...
All thoroughly confusing with those interchangeable Henry's and William's and then Harry's, (and Charlotte's and Annie's apparently!) but I think you've probably homed in on the correct family there...
Keith

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 11 June 19 16:10 BST (UK) »
...and not only that, with this swapping and changing of forenames that seems so prevalent in this GIBBS family, that other individual William GIBBS that I mentioned in my first post on this thread looks as though it's Harry's/Henry's younger brother!
What a tangled web, I wonder whether more than one sibling looked up when either of the parents called out a forename?
Keith