Author Topic: Seeking help. I have lost William in New Zealand, during or after the gold rush  (Read 3839 times)

Offline heaven

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Glue born 1820 in Sussex England. He came to Australia and married Margaret in Tasmania.
They settled in Sandhurst, Victoria, they were Publicans.
In July 1862 Margaret applied fo a Licence stating her husband William was in New Zealand. This was a total surprise to me and I could only assume he went for the gold.
I found the following record -
_________________________________________________________________________________
Type    No        Name                    Date                Location                  District          Source
WR      3      William Glue       25 March 1866   Manuherikia, Dunstan.    Otago    ABBO Acc D98 7001
_________________________________________________________________________________
We hereby give notice that we intend to construct  a Head Water Race for mining, commencing at our main race and crossing two races owned by Brown and Party and McDonald and party. The length of such race is 300 yards.
This is the last record i have been able to find both in New Zealand and Australia. His wife Margaret died 1871 in Bendigo her death notice stated wife of William Glue, so, obviously he is still living, or, it would have stated widow of.

Can someone help me with any more mining records, and I have to wonder he returned to Australia, or, died in NZ

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
From earlier thread  :)

Thia item says Margaret was granted the license in 1862 as the applicant's husband was absent in New Zealand
http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article87900836

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline heaven

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Thank you, I have that record and others, my main aim is to find the New Zealand records for William

Offline Janette

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Good night Kiwi
    • View Profile
One other record on Archway

DADO 23193 D589/49/312   9180      
Application for tail race - Frank Atkinson, Michael Kelly, Thomas Quinn, Henry Martens, William Brummitt, William Glue - Manuherikia River 1865   Dun

https://www.archway.archives.govt.nz/ViewFullItem.do?code=24122698

Cheers Janette

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Thank you, I have that record and others, my main aim is to find the New Zealand records for William

Yes,  I was sharing for our NZ RChatters   ,  to help them avoid duplicating efforts already made.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

her death notice stated wife of William Glue, so, obviously he is still living, or, it would have stated widow of.

I cannot quite agree here.
It is quite possible the view held was that she is the wife of ....until information is produced that he is deceased.  Perhaps it never was..

Are the names of the other men in the application familiar to you?

Have you researched them?

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline whiteout7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
So you dn't think the "William Glue" witness to the Fryers town roberry in 1900 at Bendigo is him?

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/200218973?searchTerm=%22william%20glue%22&searchLimits=
Wemyss/Crombie/Laing/Blyth (West Wemyss)
Givens/Normand (Dysart)
Clark/Lister (Dysart)
Wilkinson/Simson (Kettle or Kettlehill)

Offline whiteout7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Is this his death in Victoria?

GLUE William James
Christina LEAIRD <---mother
GLUE George <---father
BEECH FORREST
71 years

Amended birth date would be 1855 compared to 1820 for this man.

Why I ask is some men came to NZ to mine, then just moved on to the next lucrative site. Some miners did indeed return to Austalia.
Wemyss/Crombie/Laing/Blyth (West Wemyss)
Givens/Normand (Dysart)
Clark/Lister (Dysart)
Wilkinson/Simson (Kettle or Kettlehill)

Offline heaven

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Thanks Janette for that mining NZ record, I can now add that.
Sue, The names on the above record mean nothing to me and no. I haven't researched them, maybe something I should do, thanks for your reply.
Whiteout7  Re the Fryerstown Robbery, i missed that somehow!  This puts William  back in Australia. he would then have been 80 years old!! So, if this is the case I need to find a death or a burial, and not having any luck on the Vic BDM site.

If I can find a death record maybe that will list children, I don't know if they any at all, however. Trove article 8 Dec 1865 , Margaret's Licence application for new premises in Sandhurst with house states "Big enough for the use of my family,

Thanks to all
Judy

The death you gave me for William James in Beech Forrest I have, he is my great Grandfather.