Author Topic: Aran/Aaron Evans where was he in 1939 and what happened to him  (Read 7655 times)

Offline Talacharn

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Aran/Aaron Evans where was he in 1939 and what happened to him
« Reply #54 on: Thursday 02 January 20 22:12 GMT (UK) »
1881: Census . Gipsy Tent Penyard . Dyffrynclydach, Glamorganshire
Samson Williams . Head . M . 33 . (Estimated): 1848.  Cwmavon, Glamorganshire . Basket Maker
Gavelina Williams . Wife . F . 33 . Staffordshire, England
Agnes Williams . Daughter . F . 15 . Caerffili, Glamorganshire
Isabella Williams . Daughter . F . 12 . Haverfordwest, Pembrokeshire
Diliah Williams . Daughter . F . 9 . Swansea, Glamorganshire
Penenboke Williams . Son . M . 8 . Aberavon, Glamorganshire
Henora Williams . Daughter . F . 5 . Llanelly, Carmarthenshire
Elvira Williams . Daughter . F . 2 . Sketty, Glamorganshire
Rebecca Williams . Daughter . F . 0 . Sketty, Glamorganshire
RG11 . Piece/Folio: 5344/108 . Page Number: 32
GS Film: 101775467 . Digital Folder: 101775467 . Image: 00746
From the birth locations, they were travellers.

I found some articles online: ‘Nelson Williams, Edwin Evans, and Samson Williams, were in court for pretending to be a Government Inspector in acquiring a horse.’ Another article says: ‘Samson Williams, alias Boswell, gipsy.’ Boswell is a prominent name on Romany sites. By 1907, he was in court again for being drunk under the name of Samson Boswell.

Edwin Evans and Samson Williams is the link I need that shows they are the right people. It would seem, Gravalina Williams died Jul-Sep 1890, age 37. Birth Year (Estimated): 1853, which is a little out, though surely it has to be the same person. (Volume: 11A . Page: 257 . Line Number: 14). I wonder if Samson Williams then started using Boswell again. It is getting stranger.

Offline Talacharn

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Friday 03 January 20 17:09 GMT (UK) »
On the Romanygenes website, it says on the page Boswells in Wales; Catherine Ann Boswell was born in Swansea Jul-Sep 1872. I am looking for a Catherine Ann(e) who married Daniel Evans, whose father was in court alongside Samson Williams and Nelson Williams. It made me think. If Samson Williams was born a Boswell, could Catherine Ann(e) be registered as a Williams?
Birth: Catherine Ann Williams
Neath Jul-Sep 1872 . Volume: 11a . Page: 558 . Line Number: 171

On the 1911 Census, Catherine was born in Swansea, but if they were travelling people, Neath is the next stop.

I have also looked for newspaper articles for Nelson Williams and found two Census records. It is clear, they did not want to give any information; even his wife is called Nelson or N K and only by 1901 has the saying of Williams been mastered, though that might be the one collecting information within such an environment. I tried to find Nelson as a Boswell in Wales and England. There was nothing, though he might not have been a Boswell.

1901 Census: Llandilotalybont St Teilo . Llandeilo-talybont, Glamorgan
Nelson Williams . M . 40 (Est. 1862)
Nelson Williams . F . 39
Schedule Type: 145 . Page Number: 27

1891 Census: Llandilo Talybont
Nelson Willims . Head . M . 30 (Est. 1861) . Married . England . Basket Maker
N K Willims . Wife . F . England
RG12 . Piece/Folio: 4470/ 54 . Page Number: 25

Nelson Williams died in 1906, hit by a cyclist near Swansea.

Would it be more appropriate to ask these and further questions on the Travelling People page?
If possible, I would like more information about Samson Williams/Boswell and family; Nelson Williams, who I assume had a previous surname. Also Edward/Edwin Evans, whose family I have traced, but now question if Evans was the name born with, or he adopted it in Wales.

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Friday 03 January 20 17:33 GMT (UK) »
It depends how many people with expert knowledge just read the Traveller page, or look on here also.

Perhaps do a post on there linking to here, stating specifically what you want finding out now.

Offline Talacharn

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Friday 03 January 20 18:10 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, I have copied it on the Travelling People page with a link.

If possible I would like to find them in England, but with changing names, that might be a challenge. The person I was to know more about is Edwin/Edward Evans. Until I found the information about Samson Williams being a Boswell, I am now wondering if Edwin Evans was originally called Edward and something else; even living in England. It says in a Census that Edwin was born in Brecon, but if you change your name, you could also change your birthplace. I know his son Daniel was born in Llandovery.

Offline Annette Flowers Morris

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Thursday 09 January 20 11:57 GMT (UK) »
My laptop was not working properly .hence spellings .Gerald my father was born in reading .Kate Winifred his mother had separated from Issac .morris at this time .violet may would be Kate's sister along with other sisters called Joan and Louisa.two sons called ilytid spelling not sure .one was killed in Italy by the last shell as he was getting on the boat to leave .the other brother was in and out of pontadawe prison for fighting i believe pontadawe Morrison all come under Swansea my family lived in Morristown I do not know dates but they were there in the 1960s..my grandmother Kate's father was in the salvation army st Morristown where he was an officer .no name unfortunately ..but I will be getting a photograph.these threads are so interesting .I had a thought that brothers maybe used each others I.D .there were 17 children .only 13 survived infancy I learnt this when I was very young .so far Kate violet Louisa Joan iltyd and iltyd .my dad was likened to an Indian .and I have Asian blood type  b .this made me want to research dads side first .many people were illiterate and spelling May be phonetically spelt so no wonder names got mixed up especially as wales was welsh speaking at these times .I did speak welsh as a child but moved to east London as a small child where dad got his first teaching job  .yes he's Gerald not feral my bad .but saying that we ran wild in wales and have a love for tinkering and buying and selling tat .I do up old chairs etc and make wares to sell at markets .must be something in our blood .any new info on my side of the Evanses I will add .next mission is to find  the mason s and lambon family .on my mothers fathers mum side .

Offline Talacharn

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Thursday 09 January 20 13:48 GMT (UK) »
At present, I cannot link Catherine W, or any Morris to my family, but there were so many of them and inter-married.

When Daniel Evans married Martha Jane Williams, his father was named as Edward, though feel he was also called Edwin. They mixed with Samson and Nelson Williams who I have traced in the records and also local newspapers. It would seem Samson Williams was actually a Boswell who changed his name when moving to Wales and blending in with the locals. The Census records for Nelson Williams would suggest he did the same. There is a Catherine Ann Boswell listed on Romanygenes dating from 1872 but I cannot find a formal record. But I can find a formal record as a Williams, in the right area, born Swansea registered Neath Jul-Sep 1872 . Volume: 11a . Page: 558 . Line Number: 171. That is still not close enough for me to say she was the first wife of Daniel Evans; if they actually married. It would seem the Williams and Evans families married into each other. I found the death of Nelson Williams, but as yet, not Edward/Edwin Evans of Samson Williams, nor Daniel Evans.

Offline Talacharn

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Thursday 09 January 20 13:49 GMT (UK) »
Although this thread asked about Aran Evans, I did not know what happened to his wife Martha Jane Evans (b. 1895), so I spent a few hours in the library searching Find my Past.

On the 1939 Register, there are 5 closed entries, but Martha Jane Evans (b. 30 Sep 1870), her mother is at 18 Blue Street, Carmarthen. She married Daniel Evans, Aran’s father after her husband Thomas Williams (my great-grandfather) died. She is incapacitated, but still married. Daniel Evans is also in Carmarthen, in the Living Van, with other women.

Today I found: Death: Martha Jane Evans . Oct-Dec 1945 . Age 50 . Carmarthen 11a 870. The image said she was living at 18 Blue Street Carmarthen and is buried in St David’s, Carmarthen, page 79. This shows Martha Jane, the wife of Aran was living there when she died. I accept, he could be in the forces, but wonder if they are actually one or two of the closed records, though with both born in the mid-1890s, they are well past the 100 year rule.

I tried to look in the graveyard, but parking is an issue, so first I will contact the church.

Offline Annette Flowers Morris

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Thursday 09 January 20 15:09 GMT (UK) »
Just remembered that my gran Kate m .mother died when she was a young girl and she helped bring up her younger brothers and sisters .my dad assumed she was the eldest but as he said he was only small .he said he was born in calcot Berkshire in a so called cottage hospital .so they must have gone o surrey to register him .that will be news to him .my nan did some moving around .my dad is gifted with palm reading and tarot .I know the aunts were into seances etc and telling fortunes .I read tarot but it cannot help the quest .as I remember I will add post .I'm really enjoying reading all the family histories and lots of mysteries !

Offline Talacharn

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Thursday 09 January 20 16:00 GMT (UK) »
Of the children, all I know for certain is that Matilda Evans married George Davies and Aran married Martha Jane Williams. The 1911 Census, said Daniel and Catherine had been married 19 years (correction to previous post when I said 16 years) with 4 children and 4 still alive.

1901 Census . Favi Field, Aberavon, Glamorgan
Daniel Evans . Head . M . Married . 30 . b: c.1871 . Llandovery, Carmarthenshire . Travelling Showman
Catherine Evans . Wife . F . Married . 28 . b: c.1873 . Swansea, Glamorgan . Travelling Showman
Tilly Evans . Daughter . F . 7 . b: c.1894 . Portydulais, Glamorgan . Travelling Showman
Evan Evans . Son . M . 5 . b: c.1896 . Swansea, Glamorgan
Dan Evans . Son . M . 3 . b: c.1898 . Pontypridd, Glamorgan

1911 Census Carmarthen . Llanfihangel Abercowin, Milford Arms Yard, Saint Clears, Carmarthenshire
Daniel Evans . Head . Age 39 . Llanneda (Llanwrda), Carmarthenshire
Catherine Anne Evans . Wife . Age 38 . Swansea, Glamorganshire . Assisting In The Business
Matilda Evans . Daughter . Age 16 . Pontadulais, Glamorganshire . Assisting In The Business
Aaron Evans . Son . Single . Age 14 . Birth Year (Estimated) 1897 . Swansea, Glamorganshire . Assisting In The Business
John Evans . Son . Age 13 . Pontyfridd, Glamorganshire . Assisting In The Business
RG14 Schedule 158 . Piece/Folio 315 . Page Number 1
GBC/1911/RG14/33027/0315/4

There is a John Evans which could be Dan Evans as in the 1911 Census Dan has been crossed out and replaced with John as in 1901 and 1911, they a recorded at the same birth year and place. Evan in 1901, could be Aaron in 1911.

As only 3 children are listed in each Census, one is missing on both occasions. They had been married 3 years before Matilda was born, so enough time for a birth before. but no listing on the 1901 Census. There may actually be a Daniel and John. This afternoon, I found a Baptism which has to be the right family.

Baptism: Daniel Evans
1901 . Llandilo T’Bont, Glamorgan . Pontarddulais
Father's Name: Daniel . Mother's Name: Catherine Ann

As I could not find anything for a John Evans, he may be Daniel John. On the GRO, several could fit with a birth year of 1897. Assuming the age is accurate, it gives a birth date of 1897, although baptised in Llandilo T’Bont, the birth could be registered elsewhere, as to my knowledge in 1901 they were Llandilo T’Bont and Aberavon. All of these would be within reach:
Daniel Evans . mmn Davies 
GRO Reference: Jul-Sep 1897 . Llandilofawr . Volume 11A  Page 1119
Daniel Evans . mmn Williams 
GRO Reference: Oct-Dec 1897 . Neath . Volume 11A  Page 843
Daniel John Evans . mmn Morgans 
GRO Reference: Apr-Jun 1897 . Swansea  . Volume 11A  . Page 933
Daniel John Evans . mmn Jones 
GRO Reference: Jul-Sep 1897 . Llandilofawr  . Volume 11A . Page 1115
Daniel John Evans . mmn Evans 
GRO Reference: Jul-Sep 1897 . Swansea . Volume 11A  Page 953

Previously I have been offered Morgans as Catherine’s maiden name, but when I found Matilda it did not fit.

Baptism: Matilda Evans
1893 . Lliw Common . Llandilo T’Bont, Glamorgan
Father's Name: Daniel . Occupation: Tinman
Mother's Name: Catherine

Matilda Evans . mmn Bass 
GRO Reference: 1893  D Quarter in SWANSEA  Volume 11A  Page 841

I still do not know the maiden name of Catherine Ann(e) Evans
And I am still missing one child.