Author Topic: Genetic Memory?  (Read 9337 times)

Offline davidgp

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Genetic Memory?
« Reply #54 on: Friday 21 June 19 10:49 BST (UK) »
Like Mike in Cumbria I'm deeply skeptical about the idea of 'genetic memory'. But I'm surprised no one has mentioned Ancestor syndrome or the psychogenealogical theories of Anne Schutzenberger based on her transgenerational psychotherapies which seems rationally to explain some of the ideas.
David

Offline Rattus

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Friday 21 June 19 11:14 BST (UK) »
Like Mike in Cumbria I'm deeply skeptical about the idea of 'genetic memory'. But I'm surprised no one has mentioned Ancestor syndrome or the psychogenealogical theories of Anne Schutzenberger based on her transgenerational psychotherapies which seems rationally to explain some of the ideas.

Fascinating, thanks for the pointer. This line from the Amazon synopsis certainly leaves me wanting to know more (my emphasis):

"The theory of "invisible loyalty" owed to previous generations, which may make us unwittingly re-enact their life events, is discussed in the light of ongoing research into transgenerational therapy."
BARTRAM - Nottingham, Derby, originally Beds (Stagsden)
PERFETT - St Pancras & Marylebone, Rugby, Nottingham
RADFORD - Nottinghamshire, also back & forth to Bury
RUDD - Durham, Margate, Bermondsey, Newcastle, Nottingham

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Friday 21 June 19 11:19 BST (UK) »
I had already created the following before Rattus beat me to it.

The Ancestor Syndrome: Transgenerational Psychotherapy and the Hidden Links in the Family Tree

In this text Anne Ancelin Schutzenberger explains and provides clinical examples of her psychogenealogical approach to psychotherapy. She shows how, as mere links in a chain of generations, we may have no choice in having the events and traumas experienced by our ancestors visited upon us in our own lifetime. The book includes case studies and examples of "genosociograms" (family trees) to illustrate how her clients have conquered seemingly irrational fears, psychological and even physical difficulties by discovering and understanding the parallels between their own life and the lives of their forebears. The theory of "invisible loyalty" owed to previous generations, which may make us unwittingly re-enact their life events, is discussed in the light of ongoing research into transgenerational therapy. The title was first published as "Aie, mes aieux" in France."

Even second-hand, it isn't cheap.

Martin

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Friday 21 June 19 12:12 BST (UK) »
.... as mere links in a chain of generations, we may have no choice in having the events and traumas experienced by our ancestors visited upon us in our own lifetime.

In the same way as children who are reared by physical violence tend towards the same method of control with their own children?

Or war veterans and holocaust survivors are likely to be suffering PTSD all their remaining lives which must impact on their social interactions influencing future generations?

BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Friday 21 June 19 13:10 BST (UK) »
Of no help but worth a read...

https://documentaryheaven.com/extraordinary-people-the-boy-who-lived-before/

I don't know if there's been an update since I saw the documentary on tv (a while ago) as to whether a connection was found but there's nothing indexed on SP for a Shane Robertson.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline melba_schmelba

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Friday 21 June 19 13:40 BST (UK) »
Have epigenetics been mentioned yet? A study of holocaust survivors and their children showed that epigenetic changes may occur as a result of trauma and can be passed on to further generations

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2015/aug/21/study-of-holocaust-survivors-finds-trauma-passed-on-to-childrens-genes

Offline Gan Yam

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Going Home - exploring my past
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Friday 21 June 19 14:01 BST (UK) »
As Shakespeare wrote: "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy"

I take this to mean that in an infinite universe there are infinite possibilities - you can't know what you don't know and because you don't know doesn't mean its either not possible or possible, only that its not proved or even not thought of!!  We used to believe the earth was flat! ;)
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Friday 21 June 19 14:08 BST (UK) »
Have epigenetics been mentioned yet?

I didn't use the term 'epigenetics', but this is the kind of thing I was alluding to in Reply #10, and there was some discussion of it in the following few posts.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Friday 21 June 19 14:16 BST (UK) »
We used to believe the earth was flat! ;)

I still do!

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"