Author Topic: Maurice Bermingham of Brohal, Esq.  (Read 2562 times)

Offline Ghostwheel

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Maurice Bermingham of Brohal, Esq.
« on: Tuesday 18 June 19 03:49 BST (UK) »
I have found this grave in Dunfierth, Kildare:

Here lies the Body of Mrs.
Mary Dempsy Alias Ber
mingham daugtr to Maur.
Bermingham of Brohal Esq.
& wife to Patt. Dempsy of Kil
murry Gent. At whose expence
is monumt was Erected in
mory of her Obiit 3d.
an Anno Dni 1719
ery Fecit

http://www.enfieldgraveyards.com/Gravestone.aspx?GravestoneID=1548

I know that was a long time ago, but I'm pretty interested in it.  I don't know if it is a hopeless case or not, but I was hoping someone could help me figure out something about it.

I note that the shield has the Dempsey coat of arms on the left and the Bermingham coat on the right.  I don't know how common this sort of thing was, whether that was meaningful in itself or not.

The phrasing of the inscription strikes me somewhat as a brag, like Pat Demspsy is saying he married above his station.  Gent to daughter of an esquire.

I have wondered at "Brohal."  Closest thing I can find is Broughal, Offaly, which seems a fair distance away.  There was a castle there, and I have found this line: Edward Bermingham resided here in 1610, but in 1667 the lands were granted to Sir William Petty.  http://www.kilcormac.com/history/offaly-100-years-ago/

I wonder if Maurice could be a son of Edward Bermingham.  William Petty was knighted in 1661 by Charles II, and married in 1667.   He had earlier served Cromwell in Ireland.

I'm also interested in the other names mentioned, but I don't know if anything can be found there.  Many Dempsey's later lived in Kilmurry.  I note that there was a Pat Dempsy who died there in about 1750, in the Calender of Wills but I'm not sure if it is the same one or not.  He was not noted as a "gent", but there was a Felix Dempsy who died in 1774 in Kilmurry who was.  Several Dempsy's lived there in the 1800s.

I think I can trace to a Pat Dempsey who died in 1766, age 56.  I've been wondering if he could be this other one's son.  (The Pat Dempsey who died in 1766 had a son named Pat and I believe that Pat also had a Pat who had a Pat.) One thing I am wondering about is if there would be any indication of age of any of the names on the tombstone, like if Maurice might have a record that would say when he was born, so I could guess if Mary Dempsy might have been the right age to be a mother in 1710.

I wasn't able to find Maurice in the Calender of wills, which seems strange to me.  But since I can't find him, I'm not sure that it is a safe assumption that Pat is the same as died in 1750.  But I wonder if something political happened to Maurice or maybe he went bankrupt or something.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Maurice Bermingham of Brohal, Esq.
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 18 June 19 07:15 BST (UK) »
Pedigree of Dempsey, Chief of the Clanmalier, Baron Philipstown and Viscount Clanmalier of Clonegowny, Kings Co., also Dempsey of Cheshire and Liverpool, 1268 B.C. c.1710 A.D.
Dublin: National Library of Ireland, Genealogical Office: Ms.174, pp.13-24
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 18 June 19 07:18 BST (UK) »
Rebels Attainder Bill, Petition of Anne, Viscountess of Clanmaleere, concerning estate of her brother John Bermingham of Dunforth, Co. Kildare. Dec. 30, 1690. MS_UR_010015

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 18 June 19 07:21 BST (UK) »

The case of Francis Bermingham heir of Edward Lord-Baron of Athenree, Lady Mary Nugent, alias Bermingham, his wife, and Ann Viscountess Dowager Clanmaleere, concerning lands of Dunfiert and Moylerstown, Co. Kildare.

The National Library of Ireland holds a microfilm copy (n.4363, p.4034).

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 18 June 19 07:23 BST (UK) »
Pedigree of O'Dempsey, Viscounts Clenmalier, 1663 -- 1716.

Dublin: National Library of Ireland, Genealogical Office: Ms.164, p.50

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 18 June 19 07:35 BST (UK) »
Patrick Dempsey and Mary Bermingham marriage 1706
http://census.nationalarchives.ie/search/dm/index.jsp

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 18 June 19 07:54 BST (UK) »

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 18 June 19 11:27 BST (UK) »

The case of Francis Bermingham heir of Edward Lord-Baron of Athenree, Lady Mary Nugent, alias Bermingham, his wife, and Ann Viscountess Dowager Clanmaleere, concerning lands of Dunfiert and Moylerstown, Co. Kildare.

The National Library of Ireland holds a microfilm copy (n.4363, p.4034).

Is this the case published in the Journals of the House of Commons of the Kingdom of Ireland. From the 18th May 1613, inclusive, ..... - vol 2 of 19 published 1796, Dublin"

Report from the Committee appointed to take into consideration a petition of the Right Hon. Richard Lord Bellew and the Countess of Newburgh, his Wife - 5th August 1707

"John Woods, Esq; being produced likewise by Lady Clanmalier, said he was present at the Marriage of Francis Bermingham to Mrs (sic) Mary Nugent, the 22nd September last, and saw them being bedded; and that Francis is about 14 or 15 years of age, and the Lady about 12. One Fleming an Irish Priest married them; heard the Marriage was in Treaty three Weeks or a Month before it was celebrated."