Author Topic: Thomas Rogers 1832, born where? died 1859 in Brymbo.  (Read 1622 times)

Offline amberly

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas Rogers 1832, born where? died 1859 in Brymbo.
« on: Wednesday 19 June 19 14:24 BST (UK) »
I just can't sort out who Thomas was.  His marr cert said he was 21 when he married in 1853 so he must have been born in 1832.  He said he was living in Southsea when he married & his Father's name was John, a labourer.   He married Ann Davies 1830/1886 born & died in Brymbo.  Because he was married in 1853 & died in 1859 I obviously can't find him on a census when he was married so don't know where he was born.
The witnesses at the wedding were Robert & Henrietta nee Harrop Rogers.  Henrietta was Ann's cousin. Ann's mother was Mary Ann Colley & Henrietta's was Elizabeth Colley, Mary Ann's sister.
Now Ann Davies was born deaf & dumb so I imagine she only had a limited range of people she knew & met so it made sense to me, maybe incorrectly, that Thomas was related in some way to Robert Rogers, her cousin's husband.  Robert's Father was also named John & he had many children as he married twice but the only Thomas I could find for him was from his 2nd wife Elizabeth Ellis & born in 1851,so too old.  There were of course many Rogers associated with this family but I just can't link him with any of them.   So who was he??
Can anyone sort this out for me please, or give me any clues how next to go about it??
I've looked on the 1841 & 1851 census for either Thomas or John his Father in Southsea to no avail as Southsea on the marriage cert could just have been where Thomas was living at the time of his marriage & not where his father lived.
Blank wall again!  Help!
Amberly.
Roberts,Guilsfield area, Mont.    Beattie, Welshpool, Mont         Newill, Welshpool & Shrops.      Gwyther, London.                    Cureton, Shrops & London.       Whitfield, Shrops.                        Dickin, Shrops & Mont.               Barker, London.

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Rogers 1832, born where? died 1859 in Brymbo.
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 19 June 19 14:56 BST (UK) »
Did they have any children in those 6 years? and does his age at death match his being 21 when he married?  If there is a gravestone for him it might mention a family member.  Or any newspaper reports of his death might say "son of" for example.

One more thing - what was his occupation on the marriage please?
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 19 June 19 15:05 BST (UK) »
Have you seen this one in Shalford Essex where father John is an agricultural labourer as is Thomas

John Rogers 40
Mary 42
Eliza 5
Mary Ann 2
Sarah 6 months
Thomas 19

All children born Shalford
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 19 June 19 15:40 BST (UK) »
FindMyPast Marriage (image)

Date -25 Dec 1852; Place - Wrexham Parish Church; by Banns
Robert Rogers, 26 Bachelor, Collier, residence Brymbo, father John Rogers, occpn. collier
Henrietta Harrop, 24, Spinster, residence Brymbo, father Samuel Harrop, overlooker in iron works

Witnesses John Rogers (signed) and Jane Rogers (made mark

Robert signed, hentrietta made mark.

Offline amberly

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 20 June 19 16:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Hanes Teulu,
Thanks for your reply but I mentioned these 2 in my post & wondered if Robert was related to Thomas as both name their Fathers' as John but Roger's only brother Thomas was born to Robert's step mother in 1851 & was therefore too young to be my Thomas.
Thanks for your reply.
Amberly
Roberts,Guilsfield area, Mont.    Beattie, Welshpool, Mont         Newill, Welshpool & Shrops.      Gwyther, London.                    Cureton, Shrops & London.       Whitfield, Shrops.                        Dickin, Shrops & Mont.               Barker, London.

Offline amberly

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 20 June 19 22:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Centipede, Thanks for your reply but this Thomas was married by 1861 to a Naomi but that set me off all day looking for Thomas R's all over the UK. & there are many, many!  I looked close to Wrexham like Shrops etc too but got nowhere.
He & Ann had 2 children before he died, Robert 1854 & Mary 1859 & on their marr certs they both said he was a collier.
I can't find any death cert for him with his age on it.    On his marr cert it said he was a labourer & his father too, however once he married & lived in Brymbo he may have decided to become a miner??
My cousin who goes up to Wrexham quite often is away on holiday until mid July at the mo but I'll ask him to go & look for a grave when he gets back, that's a good idea.   Also I'll look in the local paper for a death announcement or a colliery accident.
So thanks again for your ideas but this has become a tiresome search. to say the least.
Amberly

Offline amberly

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 23 June 19 16:01 BST (UK) »
I'm wondering if anyone living in Brymbo or area would be so kind as to go to the churchyard & look for the grave of this Thomas who died in 1859, buried possibly with his wife Ann who died sometime later, in 1886.  Both died in Brymbo.  I'd like to know if it gives any indication on his grave who his parents were & where he & they were from?

Thank you so much to anyone who can do this.

Amberly

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 24 June 19 15:14 BST (UK) »
Burial has him age 30.

21 Apr 1859, St Mary, Brymbo
THOMAS Rogers age 30
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline amberly

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 24 June 19 15:32 BST (UK) »
Trish, thank you so much for this.     May I ask where you found it?    Amberly