Author Topic: Checking a few dates of photos Photographer William Mortimer Edmonds Hull  (Read 750 times)

Offline Fishyfins

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hi everyone

I have recently been handed a stack of hundreds of unattributed old family photos that i am now on a mission to identify. I have narrowed down a few that i would like dated if possible, which i will try to attach.

A little background info: These photos were collected and kept by a distant relative of mine, who passed away in 1980, and passed them to his grandson who gave me copies of them (i do not have the originals).
These particular photos were taken by William Mortimer Edmonds, a photographer who operated in Hull, UK. He lived from 1859-1936, so i assume his business operated from the 1880s to roughly 1920ish, at a guess. We know he was open in the early 1890s. As you might expect, the card frontage changed over time, and i expect it got fancier as he became more established. The branding in the attached photos are some of the most fancy we have, so i suspect these are quite late in his career.
Now, the older lady in these photos has been identified as a Rose Brigham, who was the sister-in-law of Edmonds (Edmonds was my g-g-grandfather!). She married into the family in 1897 (at 22 years old). I have also run facial recognition tests on these, and the child in the hat has been identified (as best as possible) as her son, who was born in 1899. (it was her son who curated these photos and died in 1980)
I do have more photos with this card frontage (i will try to post in the comments), and one of the gentlemen in them has been identified as another of her brother-in-laws, who married into the family in 1905.
So at a guess, i would say these photos dated from the mid noughties? Would anyone agree or disagree with this? Can anyone see anything that would cast doubt on my analysis?

Offline Fishyfins

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Checking a few dates of photos Photographer William Mortimer Edmonds Hull
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 20 June 19 19:15 BST (UK) »
More photos from this time

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 20 June 19 19:38 BST (UK) »
Hi and Welcome to RootsChat....the first two look to be early Edwardian and you are correct with the ladies photos as the they date from mid-late 1890s...the later the decade, the bigger the sleeves were. Lovely photos.

If you find a Gwen Brigham in your tree, then I have a Photo on a booklet of her as a May Queen in Hull around 1919 and she looks to be around roughly 20 years of age.
Carol

CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 21 June 19 12:40 BST (UK) »
Stylewise the children could be 1890's as this is when parents (who could afford it) dressed their children like this but early-mid Edwardian is ok.
As Carol said mid-late 1890's for the ladies.
You don't say if these are kept in albums as these were usually in family groups.
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/