Author Topic: Ancestry launches 225 new DNA communities for British and French & diaspora  (Read 3148 times)

Offline melba_schmelba

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ancestry Unveils Over 225 New Communities for Members Who Have Ties to France, Canada, the United Kingdom, Australia, and New Zealand

https://blogs.ancestry.com/ancestry/2019/06/19/ancestry-unveils-over-225-new-communities-for-members-who-have-ties-to-france-canada-the-united-kingdom-australia-and-new-zealand/

includes:

35+ new French American communities and 120+ new Canadian communities

73 new United Kingdom communities

14 new Australian and New Zealand Communities for descendents of primarily British settlers

https://www.ancestry.com/cs/ancestrydna-regions-update

Have checked my accounts and I have a few more specific communities added on a county (or dual county) basis in England and Scotland. Still nothing for my French Huguenot, I assume because this is still mixed in with the North Western Europe as so many of them were from different areas of France, and are now all mixed in with British DNA.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestry launches 225 new DNA communities for British and French & diaspora
« Reply #1 on: Friday 21 June 19 09:36 BST (UK) »
I had the e-mail yesterday and  I was expecting something really informative. I found that all they'd done was break down my Wales grouping to North Wales and my North West England to Wirral and Flintshire and Cheshire, Merseyside and South Lancashire. All of which I knew from my own research and the trees of matches. They also showed me some matches that were in those areas, which I'd worked out long ago from their trees!

My other areas* remain the same   :(

I think it's geared to people who don't  examine their matches' trees and/or don't do their own research.

Gadget

* Scotland and Ireland; English Midlands
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline lisalisa

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 21 June 19 10:43 BST (UK) »
I gained a 'county' to the regional name, and lost my 'southern England' region.  That last one didn't actually make sense in any case.
so not much change. 
Lisa

Offline melba_schmelba

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 21 June 19 10:45 BST (UK) »
Yes, it is probably mainly intended for the people who just do DNA tests on a whim and aren't particularly interested in doing genealogy. I have also just realized it has completely removed my Southern England which doesn't make sense as I have lot of ancestry from there. I also have the new West and South Yorkshire and Derbyshire group - but if you look closer it also includes a large chunk of Nottinghamshire and west Lincolnshire so not particularly well named.

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 21 June 19 10:46 BST (UK) »
New ones that I am seeing over the kits I manage include: England-Scotland Border, Durham & Tyne and Wear, Northumberland, Banff & Buchan, Moray & Gordon, Western & Central Ontario Settlers, Eastern Ontario & Outaouais Quebec Settlers, Devon, Nova Scotia Settlers, Bay of Fundy, Northern Italy.

Can all be useful in comparison across managed kits for matches below the 20 cM level. I was hoping to get a more refined community across in the Lancashire area to help with a brickwall I have there, but that is not showing for any of us who are from the brick wall line.
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 21 June 19 10:52 BST (UK) »
What I find amazing is that I'm supposedly 45% Scotland and Ireland and yet they don't disaggregate this category.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 21 June 19 11:34 BST (UK) »
It has broken down my Southern England ethnicity into several components - Devon and Cornwall, Greater London, Central Southern England, South East England and East England, totalling 94%. I know this from my research, and it hasn't broken down the percentage, which might or might not be interesting.

I also have 3% Ireland, 3% Norway.

I would agree with everything except Devon and Cornwall, no ancestors from there identified at all. The nearest I get is a Wiltshire family, but that is covered by Central Southern England.

Regards Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go

Offline bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 21 June 19 12:14 BST (UK) »
I think these new communities are interesting.

I have 2 new groups: Hampshire & Isle of Wight plus Yorkshire & East Midlands (correct)

My OH also has 2 new groups: Devon & Cornwall (correct) and Central Southern England (possible).  There is no mention of Greater London and South-East England when I have traced lines in Kent and London from 1900s to pre 1600. So, I'm a bit puzzled.
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline melba_schmelba

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 21 June 19 12:34 BST (UK) »
I think these new communities are interesting.

I have 2 new groups: Hampshire & Isle of Wight plus Yorkshire & East Midlands (correct)

My OH also has 2 new groups: Devon & Cornwall (correct) and Central Southern England (possible).  There is no mention of Greater London and South-East England when I have traced lines in Kent and London from 1900s to pre 1600. So, I'm a bit puzzled.
Yes, I have loads of SE England and London connections and I am getting nothing there (admittedly many of the London ones originate somewhere else). But it makes no sense to me that my Southern England category was completely eliminated rather than being broken down into more areas. I am pretty sure I also lost East Anglia/Essex.