Author Topic: John Campbell & Fanny Campbell nee McManus  (Read 1345 times)

Offline dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mary Malcolm - 1860 to 1945 - My Great Granny
    • View Profile
Re: John Campbell & Fanny Campbell nee McManus
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 22 June 19 15:47 BST (UK) »
There is a pretty well researched tree on Ancestry which lists other children too and dates of death for John and Fanny. Unfortunately no parents for either of them.

John died in 1889 Leicester.
Fanny died in 1906 Leicester.

The son Fergus appears to have married and died in 1905. The tree owner has brought his descendants down to the present day.

Dorrie

Small, County Antrim & Dundee
Dickson, County Down & Dundee
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 22 June 19 15:50 BST (UK) »
Oh good I was worried that Alice had died as well but this could be her in 1871 out on her own

Alice Campbell 18 born Newington servant - nursemaid
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mary Malcolm - 1860 to 1945 - My Great Granny
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 22 June 19 15:53 BST (UK) »
See my reply #3 on John's possible birth and parents.

Their first child was named Alice and on the first birth for Dundee in 1825 the mother's name was Ally.
Coincidence or not ?

Dorrie
Small, County Antrim & Dundee
Dickson, County Down & Dundee
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 22 June 19 15:55 BST (UK) »
I’ve tried the Scottish equivalent of the records search and keep bringing up a blank.
What do you mean by "the Scottish equivalent of the records search"?

The only source for original Scottish records is www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk which has all the surviving Church of Scotland and Roman Catholic records, plus quite a lot of the Free and other churches' surviving registers.

The 1901 census (transcription) has at 44 Merkland Street, Govan a family consisting of Fanny Campbell, widow, aged 66, born Ireland, with son Ferguson Campbell, 34, born Ireland, but I can't find an obvious death of either in Scotland.

I think the correction of birthplace in the 1871 census may be 'I' for Ireland rather than 'ditto' or 'do' for Dundee but it's very faint and difficult to read. And all the other censuses I can find do seem to say Dundee or Scotland.

I see that John Campbell, aged 64, died in Leicester in 1889, which is a pity, because unlike Scottish death certificates, English death certificates don't tell you the names of the parents of the deceased.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 22 June 19 15:58 BST (UK) »
John 1? born Southwark
It looks like '1 mos' in other words one month, which fits perfectly.

Marriage of John Campbell to Frances McMahus or McManus probably St George Southwark 1850, June quarter, vol 4 page 547. If you think they are yours, you can order a copy of that marriage certificate from the GRO https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/ and it will tell you the names and occupations of John's and Frances/Fanny's fathers.

I see that John's age in the census is 20 in 1851, then 35, then 46, then 56, and Frances/Fanny's is 23, 31, 42, 51, 63 and 66, giving a possible range of birth dates as 1824 to 1831 for John and 1827 to 1835 for Frances/Fanny.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Riri123

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 31 August 19 09:21 BST (UK) »
Thank you everyone! @Forfarian, I am pretty sure that St George Southwark marriage is the right one so I have ordered the cert. In my opinion I thought they were CoE, but having spoken to my dad I think it may actually be RC as my GM was def RC, but my GF (or his father) converted to CoE because there wasn’t enough singing in the RC church   ;D

Fingers crossed the cert gives me the info I need.

Throughout my life I’ve always been told that I am a direct descendent of the Campbell of Argyll clan through my paternal great-grandmothers (John & Fanny’s daughters). I’d love to find more concrete links/proof on that front.