Author Topic: Locating "Burnt Edge" of Cartworth/Hepworth  (Read 2416 times)

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Locating "Burnt Edge" of Cartworth/Hepworth
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 23 June 19 19:22 BST (UK) »
"Woodroyd Hill and Burnt Edge, near Holmfirth" appeared in a property sale advert in the Leeds Intelligencer, May 1796. The sale related to a single property with about 15 acres of land associated. The way I read it some of the land may lie away from the property.

Have found a Wood Royd Hill Lane on an 1851/2 map. But yet to spot a "Burnt Edge" - tho' there are more places involving "Edge" in the vicinity than you can shake a stick at

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 23 June 19 22:45 BST (UK) »
In the 1841 census, I could find only one mention of Burntedge.  Findmypast has the registration district as Huddersfield; Anc. has it as New Mill. 

First name(s)   Abraham
Last name   Beever
Sex   Male
Age   77
Birth year   1764
Birth county   Yorkshire
Birth place (other)   England
Street *  Burntedge / Beding Edge
Parish or township   Kirkburton
Town   Hepworth
Registration district =Huddersfield  (findmypast)  or New mill (Ancestry)
County   Yorkshire, Yorkshire (West Riding)
Archive reference   HO107
Piece number   1277
Book number   5
Folio number   13
Page number   19
Record set   1841 England, Wales & Scotland Census

* Not really a street, as each household had a different name.

Enumerator's description:
All that part of the township of Hepworth which lies on the East of the following roads viz commencing at the Township of Fulston near Jackson Bridge along the Hepworth & Butt Lane roads to Hepworth along Hepworth to the Barnside Lane Road, along the same to the Turnpike Road at Gate Head and thence to the Township of Thurlstone.

Offline Mike in Cumbria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 23 June 19 23:04 BST (UK) »
Bedding Edge Road is just south of Hepworth.

If Burnt Edge and Beding Edge are the same place, this looks like it.

https://www.bing.com/maps?q=beding+edge+kirkburton&FORM=HDRSC4

Already called Bedding Edge Road on the 1854 OS map.

Offline Mike in Cumbria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 23 June 19 23:18 BST (UK) »
Bedding Edge

Offline Lalzovi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 24 June 19 05:58 BST (UK) »
Fabulous replies everyone, thanks.

More context: The Kirkburton registers mention Burnt Edge sporadically from 1677 to 1792. The 1841 census that you have found is the latest record. It is therefore not a one-off mishearing or misspelling of the name; even if it was just a single farm (quite likely), I am still surprised that it does not crop up more often given its long presence in the register.

Nearby locations of interest apart from Cartworth and Hepworth would include Holmfirth, Barnside, Maythorn, Foster Place, Flight Hill, New Mill... Penistone at a stretch (I have possible connections there but the distance is a little far from Holmfirth for me to be sure that they are the same people).

Possible locations gleaned from your replies and my research:
1) Birdsedge - it is a little far for me to be satisfied but it is interesting to note that there is not a single mention of Birdsedge in the Kirkburton registers I am using (despite mention of nearby hamlets), so it's possible it had a different name earlier. Still, there is no definite mention of a name change from Burnt Edge at any point in the 19th century.
2) Barnside - there is some mention of possible relatives living in Barnside and at a stretch I suppose there could be a name shift between the two. However, Barnside is given plenty of mention in the registers so this is unlikely.
3) Bedding Edge - if this was mentioned on the 1841 census alongside Burnt Edge then I find that pretty convincing myself! Very happy with this avenue of research but would appreciate any further input. The Abraham Beever in question is the direct ancestor I have been looking at and I had not come across his 1841 census record before, so thank you. No mention of Bedding Edge in the registers, so this is also promising (indicating a name change)
4) Brown Edge - semantically and phonetically related, so I am also intrigued by this option! Also no mention of it in the registers.

Also:
**Flooding a very good suggestion - the Holme Valley, especially Holmfirth has definitely been victim to several floods and I had not thought of the wider impact that flooding might have had
**Yes, agreed. The number of other 'Edges' in the area is bewildering and makes me wonder why this one didn't survive at least on one old map!
HEATH, WOODCOCK (Midlands)
GILBERTSON (Shetland), HOY (Fife)
NEWMAN (Bath), NAILER (North London)
VICCARS, GEORGE (Buckinghamshire)
CHAPMAN, SWAIN (Lincolnshire)
HAIGH, HAGGAS, BEEVERS, WALKER (West Yorkshire)
AYRE (Bishop Auckland), POTTER (Norfolk)

Offline Lalzovi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 24 June 19 06:08 BST (UK) »
"Woodroyd Hill and Burnt Edge, near Holmfirth" appeared in a property sale advert in the Leeds Intelligencer, May 1796. The sale related to a single property with about 15 acres of land associated. The way I read it some of the land may lie away from the property.

Have found a Wood Royd Hill Lane on an 1851/2 map. But yet to spot a "Burnt Edge" - tho' there are more places involving "Edge" in the vicinity than you can shake a stick at

What a fascinating source - is there any way you could direct me to it? Woodroyd Hill is just in the right vicinity.

As for contacting the LHS (mentioned by another poster), I am certainly open to doing so by email if it turns out to be necessary. I live abroad so visiting in person is not an option for me.
HEATH, WOODCOCK (Midlands)
GILBERTSON (Shetland), HOY (Fife)
NEWMAN (Bath), NAILER (North London)
VICCARS, GEORGE (Buckinghamshire)
CHAPMAN, SWAIN (Lincolnshire)
HAIGH, HAGGAS, BEEVERS, WALKER (West Yorkshire)
AYRE (Bishop Auckland), POTTER (Norfolk)

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 24 June 19 08:06 BST (UK) »

What a fascinating source - is there any way you could direct me to it? Woodroyd Hill is just in the right vicinity.

As for contacting the LHS (mentioned by another poster), I am certainly open to doing so by email if it turns out to be necessary. I live abroad so visiting in person is not an option for me.

https://maps.nlsuk/view/102345139

Zoom in and check eastern edge of map for"Foolstone" (off map). "Wood Royd Hill Lane" runs North/South West to the "Victoria Tavern". You'll also see "Bedding Edge".

Offline Mike in Cumbria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 24 June 19 08:27 BST (UK) »

I've tried that, but the email address on their page didn't work - it came back as undeliverable.

Offline Mike in Cumbria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 24 June 19 08:35 BST (UK) »
https://maps.nlsuk/view/102345139

Zoom in and check eastern edge of map for"Foolstone" (off map). "Wood Royd Hill Lane" runs North/South West to the "Victoria Tavern". You'll also see "Bedding Edge".
So, we have:
 " Woodroyd Hill and Burnt Edge" in the sales details
  "Burnt Edge/Beding Edge" in the 1841 census

Woodroyd Hill Lane being a continuation of Bedding Edge Lane on all maps from 1854 to the present

I'd say that is pretty conclusive