Author Topic: Alice Maud Mitchell / Charles Burrows Norwood  (Read 5811 times)

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Alice Maud Mitchell / Charles Burrows Norwood
« Reply #36 on: Friday 28 June 19 09:56 BST (UK) »
Transpires that you can't get the 1920s electoral roll online but I have the contact details of a person at the local museum where the records are held. 

Hope you do better than the info in the local directory (on ancestry)
Kelly's Directory of Croydon, South Norwood, Coulsdon, Purley 1923
Street Directory (image 85)
Addison road, South Norwood (S.E.25)
East Side
3 Burrows Chas. genl. stores

Also in the Commercial Directory.

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Friday 28 June 19 10:11 BST (UK) »
Kelly's Directory of Croydon, etc. 1926
Addison road, South Norwood (S.E.25)
East Side
3 Burrows Chas. genl. stores

A change in the 1927 directory.
3 Charman Walt. genl. stores

Ditto 1928.
Going back to 1919, Edmund Walter Neale was listed.

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Saturday 29 June 19 13:58 BST (UK) »
Good to know that there was indeed a Charles Burrows living a 3 Addison Road - however, can only hope for a second initial on the electoral rolls.   I don't think he is Charles Oliver Burrows, Grocer - this man married an Annie Lucy Gubbins in 1905 Kingston and had 2 daughters.   His wife died June quarter 1933 Kingston and probate index shows administration granted to her husband Charles Oliver Burrows.   The following year he remarried to a Sarah Fagence and he died in 1947.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Prue Heron

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Saturday 29 June 19 14:48 BST (UK) »
Not yet sure how to reply to individuals but Jon - thank you so much for Kelly's Directory information - a very big brick taken out of the wall there.! And Annette I had considered that COB as a contender (what a big coincidence that would have been re surnames!) - an upstanding pillar of the community. Hopefully we will get a middle name or initial when the electoral roll information comes through.

We really appreciate your helping us.

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Sunday 30 June 19 04:39 BST (UK) »
There was another Charles Oliver BURROWS born in 1891 in Brentford district.  His father was Charles BURROWS (a soldier according to Charles Jnr's marriage in 1916 to Edith HUNT) and from BMD indexes and census, his mother was Martha Maria GUM.  This Charles was a ship store-keeper when he married.

Then there was Cyril's brother Charles who was registered as Henry Charles also in Brentford district in 1891.  What happened to him?

Debra  :)

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Sunday 30 June 19 05:11 BST (UK) »
Quote from: Dundee link=topic=814830.msg6761657#msg6761657 date=156186596
[quote
Then there was Cyril's brother Charles who was registered as Henry Charles also in Brentford district in 1891.  What happened to him?

Debra  :)
[/quote]

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XW4Z-BLZ  Golf club maker

Offline Prue Heron

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Saturday 03 August 19 18:59 BST (UK) »
Just come back to this to check that I gave you an update.

I received electoral roll information from Croydon Museum which showed a 'Charles Arthur Burrows' Grocer living at 3 Addison Road from 1921-23.  And Alice Burrows registered in 1923.  We are now left with wondering who this Charles Arthur Burrows was. 

Alice's husband from whom she was separated was Cyril Burrows.  Cyril had a brother named Charles and one called Arthur.  I am tryng to follow these through to see if either could be our man but so far,
neither looks like a grocer.  Or indeed, did Charles assume her name to add 'decency' to the birth certificate?  (But if Charles had been resident at 3 Addison Road with Alice only arriving later, then we could assume that was his real name which he rented the property under). 

Hope all this makes sense to anyone who hasn't lost interest!  Prue

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Saturday 03 August 19 22:14 BST (UK) »
Thank you for posting back Prue.

A couple of random thoughts I’m not sure will help, but perhaps helps show closer family connections  Sarah the sister of Cyril who married William Mitchell had a daughter Doris Ivy, born 1909,  she married Ernest C HALLETT, and see where she is in 1939

So, surely this means Cyril cannot have washed his hands of Olive.

Also, I note looking at the family of Charles BURROWS and Anness née CUTLER, that Edgar was also Edgar Charles.

Offline Prue Heron

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Saturday 03 August 19 22:35 BST (UK) »
Thank you for posting back Prue.

A couple of random thoughts I’m not sure will help, but perhaps helps show closer family connections  Sarah the sister of Cyril who married William Mitchell had a daughter Doris Ivy, born 1909,  she married Ernest C HALLETT, and see where she is in 1939

So, surely this means Cyril cannot have washed his hands of Olive.

Also, I note looking at the family of Charles BURROWS and Anness née CUTLER, that Edgar was also Edgar Charles.

Thank you for response.  Since the original conversations on here and Annette's finding of THE Alice Mitchell, we have found a relative who has carried out immense research into the family.  At first, we thought it was the wrong Alice as he has her dying in Devon rather than Newcastle but so many other things add up.  He was very keen that we did not publish any part of the document in case it was not 100% right as we have seen the problems this causes with online family trees.  He has included the Doris you refer to and I hadn't really looked at her in detail until now!  Can I add it as a pm on here? Prue