Author Topic: Another mystery serviceman from Texas  (Read 720 times)

Offline Granma Anne

• RootsChat Member
  • Where is he? Where's the oul crater hiding?
    • View Profile
Another mystery serviceman from Texas
« on: Tuesday 25 June 19 18:41 BST (UK) »
Two weeks ago I was shipped two large boxes of family photos going back to the mid 1800's. I have been sorting and organizing them into family groups and assigning names where I can. However, there are those that will remain a mystery until I can solve some time frames and whatsit about them. This is one of those mystery ones and I would appreciate any help that can be given on age of person, time frame of image, and military rank and info. It is one of those post card images that were so prevalent back around the turn of the century a hundred years ago.
Maitland- Belfast, Newtonards, Lisburn, Comber
McIlwain-Bothwell, Dalziel, Holytown, Motherwell, Scotland; Belfast, Saintfield, Ballynahinch, Ireland
Laird- Kilcronaghan Parish, & Belfast, Ireland; Bellshill, Motherwell, Scotland
Rodgers & McConnell-Newtonards & Comber

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Another mystery serviceman from Texas
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 27 June 19 13:26 BST (UK) »
Hi...I would judge him to be around 19/20 years old. I can't help with military advice but have asked a moderator to move it to the Armed Forces Board for a more informed opinion. Lovely looking young man and a great image.

Now Moved

Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 27 June 19 22:55 BST (UK) »
What a lovely picture!

I can just make out AIRBO on the sleeve patch. The patch looks very similar to the one on this shirt for sale at (hopefully) this link. WW2 Airborne....Paratrooper.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/WW2-ORIGINAL-AIRBORNE-PARATROOPER-503rd-INFANTRY-SHIRT-PATCH-RIBBONS-BARS-IDd-/283513440104

So, food for thought.

PB

Added: I'd think that was a dress uniform in your pic. Looks like an airplane on the one button?

And: the 11 would stand for 11th  Airborne Division.....lots of info on google.
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Granma Anne

• RootsChat Member
  • Where is he? Where's the oul crater hiding?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 28 June 19 16:16 BST (UK) »
Thank you Polarbear - I have done a bit of digging and created a negative image to help me try and read that patch better. From my own searching it appears to be an Air Assault patch for the 11th Airborne Division.   A guess is that this image is pretty much an early enlistment photo taken while in early training probably about 1943. I make that assumption as there are no other patches or insignia sorting out his rank or military assignment. Now if he would just tell me his name....
Maitland- Belfast, Newtonards, Lisburn, Comber
McIlwain-Bothwell, Dalziel, Holytown, Motherwell, Scotland; Belfast, Saintfield, Ballynahinch, Ireland
Laird- Kilcronaghan Parish, & Belfast, Ireland; Bellshill, Motherwell, Scotland
Rodgers & McConnell-Newtonards & Comber