Author Topic: Dilworth family in pennsylvania  (Read 1697 times)

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Dilworth family in pennsylvania
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 23 July 19 04:48 BST (UK) »
Relevant documents in Lancashire Archives relating to Quakers.

Historical Manuscripts Commission 14th Report; Appendix P1 IV  "The Manuscripts of Lord Kenyon"
Ref. number DDKE/HMC/712.  Date 1689
"Names of conformable Clergy who have taken the oath", followed by lists of Presbyterian and Dissenter meeting houses.
Meeting houses for Quakers include "Thomas Dilworth's house at Bradley".
I also noted "A house at Biccurstaff in Ormkirk parish" as I recalled seeing the name Dilworth in Ormskirk parish registers in 17th century.

Lancashire Quarter Sessions  - Enrolment, Registration and Deposit  - Record Book of Dissenting Meetings - Folio 3; Date 8th October 1689 Ref. QDV/4
"Bradley - House of Thomas Dilworth - Quakers"

Lancashire Quarter Sessions &c - Record Book of Dissenting Meetings - Folio 20;  Date 1702; Ref. QDV/4
"Thornley - House of Thomas Thornley- Quakers
 Haighton - House of Joshua Procter - Quakers"
(Proctor remained a Chipping name until modern times.)

Lancashire Quarter Sessions &c  - Record Book of Dissenting Meetings - Folio 21 Ref. QDV/4
Alston - House of Thomas Abbott - Quakers
(Alston and Dilworth were 2 of the townships which became the town of Longridge in 19thC.)

Compton Census 1676 (Religious census)

Archdeanery of Richmond - Archdiaconal Court - Compert Books 1662-1776 - Amounderness Deanery
Gives names of people brought before the church courts for offences. Arranged according to deanery. Pre 1733 entries written in Latin.
Chipping 1683 and 1685. Matters include Quakers and not attending Communion.
Btw this was a strongly Catholic area.

Lancashire Quarter Sessions - Ormskirk 1661
Reimbursement of constable for removing Quakers
Ref. QSP/211/36

Lancashire Quarter Sessions - Ormskirk Michaelmas 1662
Abram - presentment of Quakers
Ref. QSP/227/18

Lancashire Quarter Sessions - Michaelmas 1661 Lancaster
List of Quakers
Ref. QSP/213/17
I don't know if this was a list of Quakers in the town of Lancaster or of those imprisoned in Lancaster Castle. If the latter, they may have been from all over the county. There are other documents in Lancashire Archives relating to Quaker prisoners in the castle.

Cowban

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 23 July 19 05:08 BST (UK) »
The Parish of Chipping in "A History of the County of Lancaster" volume 7 of Victoria County History; digitised as British history Online  https://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/lancs/vol7/pp20-26
There's a map of Ribchester and Aighton parishes which shows the townships. Bradley is marked in Thornley with Wheatley township. Dilworth township is adjacent to Thornley with Wheatley.
The Hearth Tax of 1666 is mentioned in the article.
Cowban

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 23 July 19 05:43 BST (UK) »
Townships: Thornley with Wheatley in  "A History of the County of Lancaster"  Victoria County History vol. 7 pp32-36. https://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/lancs/vol7/pp32-36
Bradley was held by the Knights Hospitallers. The tenants adopted the name Bradley as their surname. Bradley Hall descended from the Bradley family to the heirs of Alexander Osbaldeston (1660) and was purchased from them by the Earl of Derby in 1764.
The Wawne (Walne) family held their land in Wheatley of the crown. Thomas Wawne was a ward of the queen in 1597. (Queen Elizabeth)
Stephen Dilworth registered his estate as a Papist in 1717. ("English Catholic Nonjurors" by Estcourt & Payne; "Chipping" by T.C. Smith; "Miscellany V", Catholic Record Society) 
Cowban

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 23 July 19 05:54 BST (UK) »
Others on the ship the "Lamb" with the Dilworth and Lamb families;
Ellen Cowgill & children
Thomas Croasdale, wife Agnes & children
Cuthbert Hayhurst, wife, Mary Rudd & children + Cuthbert's brother, William
Robert Heaton & wife, Alice & children
Thomas Wigglesworth & wife Alice (sister of Cuthbert Hayhurst)

There's an online tree which has a mother of a Nicholas Walne whose maiden surname was Rudd.
Cowban

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 23 July 19 10:31 BST (UK) »
Reply #2. Where did you find that information?
The online tree I referred to in my reply #1 has the first generations (1500s-1600s) in the parishes of Chipping and Ribchester and Whalley which are in Lancashire, not far from the border with Yorkshire. The settlement of Dilworth was in Ribchester parish. Dilworth is now part of the town of Longridge, a few miles south of Chipping.  Some later generations were in "P.a" Is that abbreviation for Pennsylvania?
Where were Richard and Jacob born? Where did Richard die?

I wasn't the one who posted it, but Reply #2 looks like it came from the Sons of the American Revolution site, if there is one. I know there is a Daughters of the American Revolution  (DAR) site, which would have been the first place I looked for a possible Revolutionary War soldier.

And Pa was an abbreviation for Pennsylvania. So was Penn., and Penna.

edited to add:
Once you figure out your way around the DAR site, you can see who filed an application for membership and their line of descent from the soldier. Some restrictions on the visibility of the line of descent but I forgot what they are, recentness?, personal choice?, duplication of another line? I don't remember.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 23 July 19 16:38 BST (UK) »
The introduction on website of Welcome Society of Pennsylvania (my reply #8) sets out guidelines for inclusion.
I've seen discussions on WikiTree about Daughters of the American Revolution.
Thanks for confirming that Pa is Pennsylvania. While looking for material relating to Quakers in Lancashire Archives catalogue I came across correspondence c.1750 between an emigrant and his relative in Lancashire.
Cowban

Offline blairandsoniataggart

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 23 July 19 16:45 BST (UK) »
Wow that would be interesting. I know one of the waln daughters bears a likeness to my late sister