Author Topic: Lookup at Hull History Centre Please  (Read 1557 times)

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Lookup at Hull History Centre Please
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 29 June 19 10:43 BST (UK) »
This suggests an altogether earlier date for the birth of his son, Charles William Wilkinson, who was born in Edinburgh, Scotland when his father was serving in the British Army.  The January 1880 obituary for Charles suggests he was 66 years, 6 months old when he died.  In 1810, when his son Aaron was born and baptized in Sunderland, Durham, Moses' occupation was shown as "weaver".  This fact suggests that Moses Wilkinson left the East Yorkshire Militia before Aaron's birth. 

66 years and 6 months old in January 1880 still suggests a birth in 1813.
Can you assume that Moses occupation being given as weaver in 1810 means that he was no longer in the East Yorkshire Militia? :-\ Not sure!
Why was he in Sunderland, and then in Scotland?

There are many references to the EYM in the newspapers, a few of them
Stamford Mercury, 10 April 1807
Tomorrow the East York militia, now on their route from Woodbridge, will march into Norman Cross barracks.

Ipswich Journal, 11 April 1807
Ipswich
Monday and Tuesday last, the 1st East York Militia marched into this town, from Woodbridge Barracks, on their route to Stilton.

York Herald, 25 August 1810
On the 4th inst. the Lord Bishop of Durham confirmed 860 persons in the parish church of Bishop-Wearmouth, among whom were about 50 soldiers, belonging principally to the East York Militia.

The Globe, 28 February 1811
Last week the East York militia arrived in Newcastle, from Sunderland, on their route to Scotland.

Stamford Mercury, 8 March 1811
The East York Militia have marched from Sunderland on a route for Scotland.

If you can pin down a death and burial for Moses you will have an approximate year of birth.

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 29 June 19 12:03 BST (UK) »
Baptism at Smeeth in Kent, 24th Nov 1805
Mary Wilkinson
D of Moses + Anne Wilkinson in Captain Courteney's Company east york militia
born in Brabourn Lees Barracks + baptized Novr. 24th 1805
The said Moses Wilkinson belongs to Sowerby, parish of Halifax, Yorkshire

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 29 June 19 12:21 BST (UK) »
I found an 1805 marriage entry in Wye, Kent for an Ann Bayley and Moses Willson (or Wilson) and I wonder if it is the Moses' name has been poorly transcribed.

Wye is only a short distance from Smeeth.
11 March 1805, by Banns
Moses Wilson + Ann Bayley
Both were of the parish, both marked
Witnesses William Filby? Gilby? (not sure what it is, but he marked) and Thos French

Offline BorthwickCongalton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 30 June 19 00:10 BST (UK) »
All I can say is WOW!!!  The last few days I've been struggling with having hit what appeared like another dead end in my research.  And I wake up to find a treasure trove of information including an unknown baptism of another child of Moses and Ann (Bailey) Wilkinson and what appears to be confirmation of my suspicion that the marriage in Wye, Kent was actually that of Moses and Ann!

It would now appear that their son, Charles William, was born in Edinburgh in June 1811 because you have followed the path of the East Yorkshire Militia!  This is all so remarkable and I am overjoyed with your findings!

We don't know for certain when or where Moses Wilkinson died.  Certainly it would be simple to calculate Moses' year of birth if we knew when he died.

Ann (Bailey) Wilkinson, widow, remarried in 1834 to William Pickard at St. Paul's, Shipley, West Yorkshire.  The 1841 census has William & Ann Pickard living in Bradford (Bradford West End, Dist. 8) with Betty (20), Ann (20) and Joseph Wilkinson (15).  There is also a one month old named Mary who was born out of wedlock to Ann.  I haven't been able to find baptisms for the youngest of Moses' children and some of my many cousins have suggested a long list of additional children born at Bishop Wilton.

It would be wonderful if you were able to find a newspaper mention of when the East York Militia returned from Edinburgh because that would certainly serve to verify the June 1811 birth of Charles William Wilkinson.  But even if you can't find that, what you have discovered is wonderful!   Thank you so very much!

Offline BorthwickCongalton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 30 June 19 00:51 BST (UK) »
The mention in the newspaper of Norman Cross Barracks caught my eye due to the following baptism from St. John, Peterborough, Northamptonshire dated 28 Feb 1808 which I've kept in mind but had no way to connect it to my ancestors:

William, son of Moses and Ann Wilkinson

No other identifying information is provided in the entry.  Is it safe to assume that William was another son of Moses and Ann Wilkinson born at Stilton or Peterborough while he was with the East Yorkshire Militia?  It would seem an odd coincidence if it wasn't, eh?