Author Topic: Pub licences  (Read 610 times)

Offline Claire64

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Pub licences
« on: Thursday 27 June 19 00:06 BST (UK) »
Our local archives has helpfully scanned all the documents relating to public house licenses.  A lot of them declare the intention of the current licensee to transfer the license to a certain person at the next licensing sessions.
On a couple of occasions, I have noticed that the intended recipient of the license has been carrying on as if he had already had the license transferred to him (sometimes the intent was to transfer the license at the next sessions, which might have been a few months away).  Was this legal?
I have been looking into this but can't find a definitive answer.
Sometimes the man to whom to license was intended to be transferred to was never actually granted it, but in the months between the notice to transfer and the Sessions, he was described in various sources as the landlord / victualler etc.
Pearson (Bradwell Dby & Stocksbridge)
Donkersley
Crawshaw (Bradfield)
Evans (Bradwell Dby and Stocksbridge)
Crossley (Penistone)
Rogers (Nottinghamshire & Stocksbridge)
Poynton / Pointon (Derbyshire)
Day (Barnsley WRY and Iowa USA)
Scargill (Barnsley)

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
Re: Pub licences
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 27 June 19 15:07 BST (UK) »
In England/Wales a license is issued by magistrates to a named person. 

If the proposed future licensee was acting for the existing licensee (as manager for example) this would not be illegal.  The manager could run the establishment and make all the day-to-day decisions but the licensee would be responsible under the law.

If the existing licensee attempted to transfer a licence to another person without going through the magistrates' court this would be illegal.

Philip
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 27 June 19 15:45 BST (UK) »
That sounds to me a very clear summing-up of the situation.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline Claire64

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 27 June 19 16:28 BST (UK) »
A very clear answer, thank you.
Pearson (Bradwell Dby & Stocksbridge)
Donkersley
Crawshaw (Bradfield)
Evans (Bradwell Dby and Stocksbridge)
Crossley (Penistone)
Rogers (Nottinghamshire & Stocksbridge)
Poynton / Pointon (Derbyshire)
Day (Barnsley WRY and Iowa USA)
Scargill (Barnsley)

Offline LFS

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 28 June 19 17:38 BST (UK) »
The only thing I can think of is that while waiting for the new licence the hopeful landlord treated the pub as a pot house (can't remember the dates, but 19thC), only serving beer.  A public house down the road from me, when first built, couldn't get a full licence, because of local objections, so for a long time only traded as a pot house.
Derby Girl
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Winson (Dby), Stanley(Sts), Harrison(Dby to Rutland), Barker/Barber((Sts), Baston (Oxon), Wiltshire(Middx), Franklin (Herts/Beds)

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 29 June 19 17:15 BST (UK) »
A house that my grandparents owned was in a former ownership, according to the bundle of deeds they had, a local public house. At one point the licence was transferred to the house next door, and the house that became my grandparents' home was again a private house. The same name went with it.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)