Author Topic: William or Dan?  (Read 1288 times)

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
William or Dan?
« on: Monday 01 July 19 01:13 BST (UK) »
I'm hoping someone can help me work out what the name of my ancestor William West's father might be. His christening appears twice on FamilySearch with one entry giving his father as "Wm" and the other as "Dan" both dated 29 April 1627 in Pulborough.

The entry can be seen at the following link [it is on the right hand side of the page 6 lines down from where it says "Baptisms Anno Don 1627"] https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HY-698Q-PXQ?i=20

This is the only instance of a William recorded for that date but I can't decide if the first letter of the father's name is the same as the "W" of William [and West] or different.

Can anyone help or advise?

Thanks
Matt

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
Re: William or Dan?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 01 July 19 01:18 BST (UK) »
To my bleary morning eyes it is Wm, short for William. It's very faint, but the swirls look the same as the name of the son.
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 01 July 19 02:03 BST (UK) »
To my bleary morning eyes it is Wm, short for William. It's very faint, but the swirls look the same as the name of the son.

Hi there

I agree with you. To my eyes it looks like "Wm" and that was my first instinct when I read it. Also "Dan" just doesn't sound right for the period.

Incidentally I should have said in my post that this William was "my potential ancestor".

There is also a William christened on 14 May 1622 in Pulborough, the son of John West.

Initially I thought (and still think it likely) that this was my William given that my William's eldest son (born in the 1650s) was named John and given that I can't see him having a son named William.

I only found the second William (the one in 1627) by chance when looking at the PRs on FamilySearch. Unfortunately I can't find a burial for him or the other William yet.

Thanks again for confirming the name.

Matt

Offline omega 1

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 01 July 19 07:47 BST (UK) »
Hello

The William baptised 29 April 1627 at Pulbourgh was son of Henry,according to SFHG

omega
Pembrokeshire
James,Gibby,David/Davies,Evan/s,Edward,Thomas,Griffith,Brown,Richards,Phillipps
Carmarthenshire
Thomas,Wilkin,James
Glamorganshire
James
Husbands side
Sussex,Mitchell,White,Hew/Hugh,Peter/s,Lower,Goring,Skinner,Cavey,Padgham,Brann,Graves,Hards,Easton,Moon,Gibb/s,Shepherd
Kent,Curties,Harris/Cleverly
Buckinhamshire
Shephard,Tuck,Philips

Scotland,Riddle

Todd,could be Old Windsor or somewhere I Lincolnshire,John Todd didn't seem to know

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 02 July 19 00:09 BST (UK) »
I stll think it says "Wm", but someone has read it as "Hen" for Henry.
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline solidrock

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 02 July 19 07:08 BST (UK) »
On FreeReg..

William West. Baptism 29 Apr 1627. St Mary, Pulborough. Father Wm West.

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 02 July 19 13:49 BST (UK) »
Well I’m not one for being disagreeable but I think it’s Henry too :-\

The ‘W’ in William is very different to the initial in the fathers name if you look carefully, well it is to me.

There is also a marriage of a Henry West in Pulborough 26 July 1624 to a Mary Older. Doesn’t mean much given there are 7 William West marriages within a 10 mile radius of Pulborough between 1604-1624

Claire
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline stitchwitch

• RootsChat Member
  • Creature of impulse with dodgy improbability drive
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 02 July 19 17:33 BST (UK) »
I'm plumping for Wm as well. Looking for the same hand in other lines nearby as well for comparison, I can't turn the W into a D even upside down, and sorry, Claire, but how on earth do you get Henry? I can't see it as H not nohow - and where's the 'y'?

Have fun
Stitch

Powell Barber Dyke Overton
Heywood Crimes Parsonage Hargrave Sheard Wild

Madness is hereditary, you get it from your children!

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 02 July 19 17:41 BST (UK) »
Quite easy

As William is abbreviated to Wm in some cases  - I think it is abbreviated to Hen.

On the 22 July a John is baptised to a Mr Humphrey - the H is very similar on this entry.

I’m sticking with Henry  ;D

Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk