Author Topic: Martha Warrington - born in Fenny Bentley around 1801?  (Read 1458 times)

Offline aitch

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Alton
    • View Profile
Martha Warrington - born in Fenny Bentley around 1801?
« on: Wednesday 03 July 19 12:16 BST (UK) »
I'm in search of a Martha Warrington who I think may have been born in Fenny Bentley in around 1801.  Does anyone know whether the records for St Edmunds church have been transcribed or are available online anywhere, or does anyone have any connection to the Warrington families from that time?   I understand that Martha went on to marry a William Buxton in around 1832.

Not much to go on I know, but any help/suggestions/info/look-ups would be much appreciated
TIA
- aitch
RATCLIFFE, BARLOW, BERESFORD, BLOOR, BYATT, DAKIN, KENT, LEES, MORTON, NORCLIFFE, OAKS, OSBORNE, PARKS, RICHARDSON, ROBINSON, SORTON, WETTON, WARRINGTON, WATTS, WOOD, WOLVERSCROFT (all from the Staffordshire Moorlands) - and specific interest in anyone who at any time lived in or around the village of ALTON

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Martha Warrington - born in Fenny Bentley around 1801?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 03 July 19 12:26 BST (UK) »
The only baptism I can find is

Martha Jane Warrington 23 September 1801 Boylestree parents Benjamin and Elizabeth

I can't find a marriage in 1832 to a William Buxton but there ia a Martha Washington who marries a John Fern in St Edmunds, Allestree 24 January 1831. One of the witnesses is a William Buxton.

According to the Genuki Derbyshire pages Boylestone is 9 miles from Fenney Bentley, Allestree is 12 miles.

Emeltom
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 03 July 19 12:36 BST (UK) »
Hi
The marriage took place at Manchester Cathedral 18 Aug 1832
The ink is so faint I can just about read that he is of the parish and she is from somewhere else but no idea where.

Ciderdrinker

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 03 July 19 13:02 BST (UK) »
Hello me again
There are some Warringtons in Fenny Bentley

There are 4 Wills  or Admins
John Warrington Admin 1785 to widow Martha Warrington
Martha 24.4.1821 which mentions her 12 children
Thomas,Dorothy,Mary married to William Harlam with 1 daughter and Martha now dead.
William ,Edith,John,Hannah,Elizabeth,Margaret,Joseph and Richard alive
£300
Son John  16.3.1847 to nephew William Greatrex and brother in law Thomas Greatrex
son Joseph £5 1832 husbandman to brothers John ,Richard and sister Elizabeth.

There is an earlier Will -William Warrington 1763  dated 12.6.1762
to son William,daughter Dorothy Slater wife of Richard,daughter Mary wife of William Smith and son John Warrington.

Surely your Martha must fit in there somewhere.

John Warrington married Martha Wright 1757 at Fenny B.
William born 1751 marries Hannah Greatrex age 23 20 Dec 1784 at Mappleton .Possible daughter Martha bapt 12 Jan 1798 Wirksworth
burial 1758-19.8.1835 FB
Hannah born 1760 buried 8.6.1825 FB
Edith born 1763 marries 5.7.1784 Richard Taylor born 1769 by licence.
John 1764-19.5.1847 FB
Elizabeth 1770- 8.3.1847 FB
Margaret 1772 marries 25 Oct 1794 Thomas Greatrex by licence
Joseph 1773- 26 Feb 1832
Richard 1776-4.5.1841
Thomas and Martha seem to marry 1770 at Fenny B.(Elizabeth Greaves and Joseph Hardy)
Mary Harlem buried Ashbourne 8.5.1794
Not finding the baptisms of any of John and Martha's children or grandchildren.

Ciderdrinker

Offline aitch

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Alton
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 03 July 19 13:51 BST (UK) »
Many thanks emeltom and ciderdrinker for your speedy replies.
I need to digest the info you've given before I comment further, which I can't do until later, but just wanted to say a quick thankyou both for now.  :)
- aitch
RATCLIFFE, BARLOW, BERESFORD, BLOOR, BYATT, DAKIN, KENT, LEES, MORTON, NORCLIFFE, OAKS, OSBORNE, PARKS, RICHARDSON, ROBINSON, SORTON, WETTON, WARRINGTON, WATTS, WOOD, WOLVERSCROFT (all from the Staffordshire Moorlands) - and specific interest in anyone who at any time lived in or around the village of ALTON

Offline aitch

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Alton
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 03 July 19 21:25 BST (UK) »
A little more information has come to light since my first post, so a bit more detail in case it helps...

This particular Martha Warrington is being sought by a contact in Tasmania who descends from William Buxton (born 'about 1801' in Lancashire and his wife Martha Warrington (possibly born 1801 in Bentley). This couple married at Manchester Cathedral on 19 August 1832 and subsequently emigrated to Tasmania in 1839.

Apparently there is oral history which relates that "Martha Warrington was the daughter of a wealthy jeweller and she eloped with William Buxton who was working for Martha's father as a gardener & stable man. The Warringtons thought that William married Martha for personal gain. Nevertheless, they paid for their transport to Tasmania in 1839"

My own Warrington ancestors were from Fenny Bentley, but as far as I know they were all farmers/farm labourers and I'm not sure I can imagine a 'wealthy jeweller' lurking amongst them, but you never know!

Anyhow, some useful detail has emerged from a birth record of one of William and Martha's sons in 1835.  'John the son of William Bagston (sic) farmer of Wyaston in the Parish of Wyaston in the County of Derby and of Martha his wife who was the daughter of Joseph and Peggy Warrington was born on the 9th day of November 1835..."

So... if we could track down Joseph and Peggy Warrington (likely born sometime before 1780), then we might get somewhere with this one! 

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 03 July 19 22:01 BST (UK) »
There's a better image of the marriage record in another collection

William Buxton, widower of this parish and the township of Garton, farmer
Martha Warrington of the parish of Bentley in the county of Derby, spinster

Married by licence 19 August 1832

Both signed

Witnesses Samuel Stubbs and Thomas Parry. The latter appears to witness many marriages so I guess was a church offical

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 03 July 19 22:10 BST (UK) »
There is a Joseph Warrington b Fenny Bentley 1773, died 1832

Interestingly, his parents were John and Martha

Cannot find a definite connection yet

Offline aitch

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Alton
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 03 July 19 22:32 BST (UK) »
Thank you Mabel for the clarification on Martha's abode as being Bentley. That's good to know.

The Joseph Warrington you found (1773-1832) is one of my side branches -
his parents wer John Warrington (b 1724 Fenny Bentley) and his wife Martha Wright who married in 1757 in Fenny Bentley.  I don't have any information on him beyond his birth and death dates, but he could be a contender for the husband of Peggy.